New Orbx Aeroplane?

akmatov

Sorry JV, was hoping to skirt that land mine.

But since I didn't, I'd like to share that your previous policy of sharing in general terms what you guys were projecting for the future was much appreciated by, at least, myself.  I fully realize that things change, especially project timing, still dumping the 'roadmap' is regretted.  For example, I have choosen not to make a purchase or two knowing that you folks had certain projects coming along.  I assume you dropped this openness with your customers out of frustration with juvenile whining and snarking.  Still, it was a feature that I miss.  Will be more careful in future to avoid the verbotten

End.

Regards,

William

Thx Beauty!  This is just what I was remembering, but forgetting.   :)

A perhaps odd and certainly Digger/Kiwi-centric choice, but as an Orbx product guaranteed to be of high quality and hence very purchasable.

You are probably right Beauty, though I had tried to avoid that.  He must be totally fed up, but dumping the roadmap is unfortunate, I found it kind of exciting to have insight on goodies to come.

You are probably right Beauty, though I had tried to avoid that.  He must be totally fed up, but dumping the roadmap is unfortunate, I found it kind of exciting to have insight on goodies to come.

I agree, it was nice to know what would be coming. It wasn't even necessary to mention when the planned release would be.

Anticipation of "what's next at ORBX" while frustrating to those with the "McDonald Syndrom" makes checking the forums regularly an interesting adventure for all.  As far as 'just asking if an airplane was in the pipeline' you know that it will not end with a simple question.  Hi-jacking threads is the norm anymore.  John has simply opted to let the team work on the next project and not have to worry about meeting any arbitrary deadline established months earlier and being bombarded by 'I want what I want and I want it now'!

Paul has been working on the Airtourer on and off for almost seven years so given its long gestation we are reluctant to offer news about it until it's closer to release.

As for our new policy I can assure you it will make little to no impact on our revenues since each product released will stand on its own merits and those who appreciate the quality of our work will likely purchase them anyway.

I'd only add that a rough three month heads up might:

• Generate a buzz.
  • Help people plan the budget.

One thing I found helpful on my software projects was to give a strong disclaimer as to "it could take another X months.  We don't want to release junk and we won't."  I'd hate the rantings of a few take away from a good community.

Gregg

As for our new policy I can assure you it will make little to no impact on our revenues since each product released will stand on its own merits and those who appreciate the quality of our work will likely purchase them anyway.

One of the harder lessons I learned in my 40 years in the business world is that brand loyalty is hard to earn...and even harder to keep. I would only suggest that communication with the choosers (us) is a big part of that equation. As a general rule, more communication is always better than less...but, it's your company and your call.

Doug

Paul has been working on the Airtourer on and off for almost seven years so given its long gestation we are reluctant to offer news about it until it's closer to release.

Thx JV.

All I really wanted to know was what I asked.  I knew I had read that there was an a/c in the pipeline, but I just couldn't remember which.  As the saying goes, it will be ready when it is ready.  

As for the new policy, I too doubt it will have any impact on revenues as my experience is that all your products are excellent.  The only impact is on customer happiness, at a rather low intensity.  Personally, I was pleased to have an idea of what was generally in the pipeline and in what order.  For example, seeing that the FTX NA package was scheduled for release by the end of 2014, I chose not to buy the Ultimate X USA and CA packages as I knew once you released your product I would be buying it regardless. And not having been five years old for rather a while I understand what 'scheduled' means.

But, enough.  Thx for the great products and the great customer service! :)

I would rather have it this way when we see previews that we know it is possibly coming in the near future.   I will not mention the other company, we probably all know who, they add a new product to their preview thread when it sometimes only has become an idea or is just getting started, then they always have to keep moderating that thread when people keep asking the famous "Whats Happening" question.   My only suggestion for the Orbx preview topics is that if something happens that is going to delay the project after these preview screens start being posted, is to provide a quick comment that it is being delayed (if possible provide reason if not that is ok too), we all understand that things in life come up.  Then lock that topic so that when we visit we know something is up and discussion ends there.   When new previews are posted for that product then we know that it is back on track to being released.

Mike

Sorry JV, was hoping to skirt that land mine.

But since I didn't, I'd like to share that your previous policy of sharing in general terms what you guys were projecting for the future was much appreciated by, at least, myself.  I fully realize that things change, especially project timing, still dumping the 'roadmap' is regretted.  For example, I have choosen not to make a purchase or two knowing that you folks had certain projects coming along.  I assume you dropped this openness with your customers out of frustration with juvenile whining and snarking.  Still, it was a feature that I miss.  Will be more careful in future to avoid the verbotten

End.

Regards,

William

I totally agree with you William.

Tuisong, GREAT cockpit, I really like it.

I have put together something much less ambitious that lacks the isolation element (I have some cats who like to perch nearby)  and doesn't look very 'cockpitie'.  The governing factor was ergonomics and economy.  The right side window area is a cat sprawling space beside a real window.  However, I have things almost perfectly place for ease of use for the yoke, throttle quad, mouse and keyboard.

Still astonished, and angry, at M$ for bailing out of the flight sim business.  It is a niche market, but one willing to pay for it's toys.  They are still selling FSX to this day, but P3D is going to end that soon.

Archived