Considering FSX ???

cptdes

Hi Guy,s

Well at last I am considering coming over to the other side !!! and trying FSX.

I went to a friends place the other day and liked what I saw, (although there was a slight stutter)

I downloaded the demo and it runs perfect on my system giving 17 fps locked at 17  (or am I being conned by MSoft). Is the demo a good indication as to how it will run ??.

My system is:

XP pro

Intel 2.66 Dual core

Gigabyte P35-DS3

Memory 2 gig

NVIDIA 8800 GT 512 meg

Any thoughts or assistance would be appreciated

Cpt Des

Port Kennedy

W.A.

For the most part yes it is an indication, but keep in mind the demo is an island you will get better performance on an insland surrounded by water than you will surrounded by trees.  That system should work fine though for FSX if you tune it right.

If you do buy FSX make sure you buy FSX Gold, which comes with FSX Deluxe and the Acceleration add on. 

Unlock your FPS (set to either Unlimited or 100), then try the tweaks and settings in the demo user guide and you'll find you can go much higher than 17, particularly outside cities.

Finally, turn off the FPS counter, it's completely a distraction and I wish MS never included it in the sim IMHO.

Your system is a bit better than mine, but i have 4Gb ram and a smaller GPU. I have been running FSX since it came out and basically never use FS9 anymore. Just be prepared to be modest on some settings, you can easily overwelm your system if you are too greedy on what to expect, especially Autgen settings.

But to me i beats FS9 hands down especially when you try FTX compared to default.

With careful settings on the FSX option sliders I can fly smoothly in FSX with my dated machine, specs in my sig.

This includes using all FTX regions, freeware airports & AUS AI and payware GA aircraft from the likes of Carenado etc.

The FTX commercial airports are a strain on my machine but further tuning of the settings makes them bearable.

Any fast aircraft at low level results in blurry scenery but I don't often use them so not a huge issue for me.

Hope that helps.

how it will run ??.

My system is:

XP pro

Intel 2.66 Dual core

Gigabyte P35-DS3

Memory 2 gig

NVIDIA 8800 GT 512 meg

Any thoughts or assistance would be appreciated

Cpt Des

Port Kennedy

W.A.

Hi Cpt Des,

my first FSX system was the same CPU, Memory and Mobo as yours, with an X added to the graphics card: it ran FSX well, but even better when I started using ORBX, my thought would be 'no wurries, suck it and see'  8)

You've got pretty much double my figures on all counts, and my system runs it fine after the appropriate tweaks..  If you've seen any of my screenshots, thats the detail I fly with, not what I wait to load so I can take a screenshot.  I get around 15 - 25 FPS depending on where I am..  I avoid sydney like the plague (FS and RL!) But I can make it from one side of Melbourne to the other without too much hassles.  Open country runs like clockwork (which is where I normally fly)

I think what I'm trying to say is, your system will run it fine!

Gday Des it is nice to hear you are going FSX as last time we spoke you were selling the lot as you couldnt get SB to work properly in fs9

in my honest opinion though please read the tweaks that John Offers and if you want to see fsx with all FTX products installed please feel free to drop around and i will show you on my pc

Shane

OK, here's the latest, and thanks Shane for your message you have always been there when I have had a prob.

I have been running the demo for the last couple of days now and playing around with it...all good so far.

Then I set all the sliders to the right and I still pulled 25-29 fps in the demo (am I seeing things or not??)

Based on this I went out and bought FX10 Deluxe.

My question now is.......can I install it straight onto my "C" drive without uninstalling the "Demo", as I cannot find an uninstall for it, and it is not showing as an installed programme in the "add and remove" or even Revo uninstaller.

All help appreciated

Des

Thanks John,

I was talking of the FSX demo and you have clarified things for me very simply.

I have done a very thorough defrag and am now about to install FSX, settle it down, allocate my Saitek yolk and pedals,and start to add the FTX modules one by one.

Might start with the Tassie demo first to sort out the settings and then full steam ahead.

Thanks all

Des

Well finaly did all the installing of FSX and it runs very well.......that is until I go "ALT" to bring up the menue bar at the top of screen. The menue comes up O.K. but as soon as I click on any of the options the sim freezes up and locks. ??? ???

Now this also happened in the MS FSX Demo as well but I thought it was the fault of the demo itself so didn't bother much.

After hours and hours of setting everything up by the book and defragging as I went " I am Shattered".

In the folder containing the MSFSX cfg there is also the one for the demo cfg, maybe this could be the culprit ???.

I so want to get this system up and running tonight. :'( :'( :'(

Your thoughts please folks.

Des

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I have taken out all the folders relating to the demo onto the other partition to see if that helps....

ahaka, John Venema said to install over the top of the demo and it would override it....

Tom, trying that now.....

Works O.K. in window mode but as soon as I go back to full screen the same happens.

The question now is....where do we find solution ??????

Des

Just read this thread, and I notice that no mention is made of what big city graphics will do to the framerate.. Just so you will not be too disappointed mate, I suggest you cut back your autogen before flying over Major cities.. such as Melbourne and Sydney.  Good luck with FSX mate.. took me a couple of years to go over to it, but I have no worries now, and I finally removed FS9 about two months back. Teecee.

Des i always run fsx in windows mode. I find it to be more smoother and the fact i have FSmoving map on second monitor i have to run in windows mode. I think the menu is a bug in fullscreen mode although i have never tried it to see. And as someone said i think there is a fix for it.

Shane

Des i always run fsx in windows mode. I find it to be more smoother and the fact i have FSmoving map on second monitor i have to run in windows mode. I think the menu is a bug in fullscreen mode although i have never tried it to see. And as someone said i think there is a fix for it.

Shane

I always run in FullScreen mode, and have never had this menu problem. Very strange. I've tested windowed mode, but on my system Full Screen mode is hands down faster.

Des, in another post I read that you said the FSX Demo had no 'UnInstall' feature that you could find. Just in case though, did you by chance check the Add/Remove Programs list in Control Panel (in Vista and Win7 its just called Programs)? I have found that through the years that many times some application and programs that do not have an uninstall option can be found on the Control Panel Program list, and subsequently removed that way. I do not know for a fact that installing FSX over the Demo would cause any problems or not, but if you're running out of options, it might be time to consider that.

Also, your menu problem could easily be a video driver issue. I know that can be a catch all solution, but many times problems with Full Screen mode are due to video driver issues.

O.K. I'm in guy's .....CONVERTED, (Never thought I would be able to run it after all the bad publicity in the beginning)

Almost got the rudder pedals sorted out...little tweak here and there and they should be perfect.

Just did a flight into YSSY ( 737-800 ) and things went smoothly.

Now 3 questions for you all........

1* The graphics on the default A/C are all blurry, in V/C cockpit and outside...why is this?

2* A lot of the buildings at YSSY are blurred with no definition to them

3* Where do I find a tweak and setup guide for FSX.

Once I have sorted these little matters out then it's full steam ahead with ORBX, then I can enjoy flying as it should be.

Thanks for the help so far,

Des

Des,

1 and 2) In the FSX Settings, check the Graphics Tab and make sure the Global texture resolution slider is ALL the way to the right, to the Very High setting.

3) Every Orbx product has an FSX tweak guide in the readme file.

in your fsx cameras cfg file find this

[CameraDefinition.002]

Title = Virtual Cockpit

Guid = {C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}

Description = This is the description of the virtual cockpit view.

Origin = Virtual Cockpit

MomentumEffect = Yes

SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = False

Track = None

ShowAxis = YES

AllowZoom = TRUE

InitialZoom = 0.7

SmoothZoomTime = 2.0

ZoomPanScalar = 1.0

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = TRUE

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

Category = Cockpit

PitchPanRate=30                            <<< here for pitch

HeadingPanRate=75                        <<< and here for pan  adjust them to your desired speed , make sure u take note of the default speed , just incase

PanAcceleratorTime=0

HotKeySelect=1

Well, things appear to be going O.K. so far. I bought my first ORBX scenery today AU Blue !!!

Just a question though...am I right in assuming that the service pack 1 is included in it ??. Or is that a separate download ??

Well, things appear to be going O.K. so far. I bought my first ORBX scenery today AU Blue !!!

Just a question though...am I right in assuming that the service pack 1 is included in it ??. Or is that a separate download ??

I believe that SP1 for AU Blue is included since the SP1 came out last year.

Archived