Junction Links speed cost.

Blackrat

Hi

I wonder if any of you guru types could give me some advise regarding junction links.

I've no problem setting up the links, I have a few set up already but I'd just like to know if there a speed cost involved.

At the moment I have Win7-64 and P3D2 on a single 232Gb SSD and it's getting rather full. I've ordered another SSD (500Gb) and I'm wondering if can drag my P3D2 folder over to the new drive, create a junction link and just run it with no speed cost. It'll be a lot easier and quicker than reinstalling everything from scratch.

Windows7-64 will be staying on the old SSD.

TIA

Need your computer specifications, including where the current SSD is plugged into (SATA3 6GB), and where you intend plugging the new SSD into (SATA3 3GB).

A junction link speed overhead is negligible. You'll get more speed overhead by connecting an SSD to a 3GB SATA3 port.

(From only someone who has recently added an extra HDD to their full SSD, not a guru).

Hi :)

a bit of a workaround for the new SSD ;)

install the new SSD and give it a drive letter which is not in use say *Y* copy the contents of your current P3Dv2.x SSD to the new SSD drive

when done rename the "old" SSD drive to drive "X" and the new SSD to the original drive letter what the "old" SSD was

saves a hell of a hassle and now you have a larger SSD for your SIM directly available without any detours ::)

Need your computer specifications, including where the current SSD is plugged into (SATA3 6GB), and where you intend plugging the new SSD into (SATA3 3GB).

A junction link speed overhead is negligible. You'll get more speed overhead by connecting an SSD to a 3GB SATA3 port.

(From only someone who has recently added an extra HDD to their full SSD, not a guru).

Thanks petfy, I currently have more than enough disks to fill all of my SATA ports SATA3 and SATA6, see reply below.

Hi :)

a bit of a workaround for the new SSD ;)

install the new SSD and give it a drive letter which is not in use say *Y* copy the contents of your current P3Dv2.x SSD to the new SSD drive

when done rename the "old" SSD drive to drive "X" and the new SSD to the original drive letter what the "old" SSD was

saves a hell of a hassle and now you have a larger SSD for your SIM directly available without any detours ::)

Thanks for the info Wolter but I was looking to separate my Win7 system drive and my P3D drive to let windows work off one drive and P3D off another.

Finally I just dragged the Prepar3d v2 folder to the new drive and created a junction link to it from its original location.

It works a treat and no 're-installs' to do at all.

So now I have:

• Windows 7 SSD 232Gb on SATA6 (dual boot)

Windows 8 SSD 238Gb on SATA6 (dual boot)

Prepar3d2 SSD 465Gb  on SATA3

Internal HDD 919Gb      on SATA3

Storage HDD 9312Gb   on SATA3

External mSATA HDD 931Gb on SATA3

External Synology Diskstation NAS 2x3TB for backups

Extra 931Gb HDD empty, lying in a drawer with nowhere to plug it in.

I think that should be enough to be going on with until ORBX start messing about with 1cm per pixel.

Thanks all.

Is there a link somewhere as to how to setup the Junction Link? I have my FSX on the same drive as Windows 7 64 Bit. This sounds like a MUCH easier way to move FSX to another drive.

Google 'junction link magic' it's a free program that makes it all so easy.

Archived