If this doesn't send a tingle down your spin...

Pukcip

Hi gpickup

Couldn't agree more.

I tracked the Canadian Lancaster across the atlantic using 'Flightradar24' via Iceland and am looking forward to seing it and our own Lancaster for real at the Scottish Air Show at Prestwick/Ayr in September

Kind regards

Ian

I grew up in Toronto so the Canadian Lancaster is a regular fixture for me as on many occasions it has flown over my house. I will never forget the sound of the merlin's as you can hear them coming way before you can see the aircraft, as soon as you hear that sound you go running into the yard to catch a sight of her.

I would have loved to have been able to see these two flying together but the journey from NZ is a bit far. I am glad the Canadians have flown the Lanc over there for the summer.

My Grandfather was a Navigator on the Lanc so I am lucky to have grown up near one

I was looking at this on my phone while waiting for people at the Canberra Airport,  an elderly gent who was sitting beside me had a tear in his eye, I asked him why, his reply was something I shall not forget in a hurry, bear in mind that this old gent may have been near blind as evidenced by his White Cane, he hadn't seen the video that I was aware of , 

He smiled and said  " There is only one thing that could sound like that,  "   how's that Sir I asked , he said my eye's are buggered but my ear's do not tell lies  " That is a pair of Lanc's, and maybe a Spit as well " , I was to say the least dumbfounded, as he continued in a west midlands accent he that in 1941 at age 16 he enlisted under a false name and at age 18 flew raids as a tail gunner, and later a Radio Op and belly gunner in Lancaster's over Europe.

I had to leave then unfortunately,  I'd love to know who this old fella was.

Archived