Black buildings at NZQN Queenstown

Handie

The library was run, of course, already after the installation of the scene at its release, and also now with the latest ;)

And there are many buildings that are black on the scene, not just those on the image.

Several of us were having these black buildings at the release of the scene. We were promised a correction to come.

Hi guys,

first off, NZSI and the NZQN add-on are separate products meaning any fixes for display issues with NZQN would have to come via an NZQN service pack.

I don't have those black buildings either but it seems odd that only a few users would have issues with missing textures. BTW, a quick check would be the file count in the \ORBX\FTX_NZ\FTXAA_NZQN\Texture folder; there should be 440 files. Then again, I don't know for sure whether those particular building textures are specific to NZQN. If not though they should be "generic" versions included with our Orbx libraries...

Cheers, Holger

Hi, will check the texture count once I am back home, but I seriously doubt it comes from that.

A glass window is texture is clearly missing and spoling the fun of this aiport, it is probably somewhere is the standart setup of Orbx developers (another Australian scene? Ozx?, FTX?) so it is hard for you guys to debug.

I seem to remember that there was a way to check what file FSX is failling to load at any given moment, ( by putting the following:

[SCENERY]

ShowMissingTextureAlert=1

MissingLibraryAlert=1

into fsx.cfg

I am happy to investigate.

Etienne

Hello,

The black buildings, we see them very well on screens and official videos on the page dedicated to NZQN :

http://fullterrain.com/product_nzqn.html

So this is something that is known since the beginning.
If those who made these screens and videos no longer have these black buildings, how have they managed to make them disappear ?

just checked at my end => ....\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NZ\FTXAA_NZQN\Texture folder and it contains:

125 x .AGN files
1 x .BMP  file
314 x .DDS files
---------------------
440 x files total

I have the same.

In my post of septembre 2013, I had noted this :

By starting FSX with the line "ShowMissingTextureAlert = 1" in the fsx.cfg, 5 textures are reported missing :

CRICKET GROUND.DDS
JAR_COF_LANDREGISTER_LM.DDS
OLD DEPOT.DDS
BLD_Australia_Red_1.dds
BLD_Australia_Red_2.dds

The last two textures are however present in the "texture" folder of FSX.

If it can help ;)

I have not try "MissingLibraryAlert=1"

I don't have FTX Global either, but I do have black buildings at NZQN.

I also have black buildings in some other locations, both addon and default. So I am wondering whether this issue could be related to corrupted default textures?

Anyone else who experiences black buildings at NZQN and, at the same time, in non-FTX locations?

Does ORBX use default building textures in order to increase building variety in places like NZQN?

I`ve just completed a fresh FSX install today and checked my NZSI/NZQN and confirm i have the black buildings as well, running FTX Global, Vector, DX10, FTX Central was set to Oceanic and Latest Library installed, here is what it spat at me with texture alerts.

Failed to load texture: BLD_Australia_Red_1.dds
Failed to load texture: BLD_Australia_Red_2.dds
Failed to load texture: ORBX_SRA_OBJECTS_1_LM.BMP
Failed to load texture: CRICKET GROUND.DDS
Failed to load texture: OLD DEPOT.DDS

Hi guys,

interesting, looking at the BLD_Australia_Red_1.dds texture does seem like it might be the one used at some of the town buildings. Both BLD_Australia_Red_2.dds and BLD_Australia_Red_1.dds are actually FSX default textures located in the main \Texture folder and dated July 2006. Can you check whether they exist in that folder? If not place the attached files and re-check the buildings.

Cheers, Holger

BLD_Australia_.zip

They are in the folder as well.

Also tried multiple replace (yours, some reduced ones that can be loaded in simviation), not to prevail.

So frustrating but thx for trying to help.

will soon go in vacation, hopefully someone will have resolved the issue when I come back in 3 weeks.

Etienne

Can anybody at ORBX open the source file of the scenery to read the names of the incriminated textures?

It seems to me that the solution would be very fast, no?

Some indications, they do not come either from NZQN, or from NZSI, or from Global.

Otherwise, why do not you ask the person, at Orbx, who made screenshots and official videos and also had the same concerns that we with black buildings, how he managed to solve the problem ... at least if he has actually succeeded ...

Hi,

The best guess is that the Default.xml file or one of associated SBP files has been updated by one of the AUZ region and /or NZ island install or one of the respective successive patches and somehow some of us did not capture this update. My Australia comes from a DVD maybe they are a bit different than the download currently aviable.

If one of the dev with a working environment could post its NZ Default.xml file and associated SBP files so we can see if replacing those would fix the issue.

We will prevail!

Regards,

Etienne

And for those who do not have this problem, know that this concern is present over the entire scene, not just on these two buildings, which really spoils the pleasure of this beautiful scene of NZQN.
Perhaps these other screens can help find where the problem is :

aFj5.jpg

1RKIH.jpg

zUot8.jpg

cxp86.jpg

Have to agree.

BTW, I downloaded the four files Holger provided and noticed they are all still present in my texture folder. For some reason Holger's files are older than mine, I decided to overwrite my files anyway, but to no avail:

EAmj.jpg

Maybe if someone (where the texture works) could post the following:

lclookup.bgl
LWcfg.SPB
Materials.spb
RoofDescription.spb 
default.xml
terrain.cfg

That would allow some extra testing.

Thx for helping us, I have to agree with Nadine, those black textures are a show stoper.

Etienne

Hi guys,

here's something to try for those with black buildings: First, make sure you have reinstalled the latest Orbx Libraries after installing NZSI SP3.  Those libraries come with a full set of the correct files for autogen and generic buildings. 

The next step is to set FTX Central to Oceania, press Apply, and exit FTX Central. Then check the file date of the Materials.spb file in {FSX}\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.au against the one in {FSX}\Autogen. If they differ make a backup copy of the version in \Autogen and replace it with the version in \ORBX\Scripts\Custom.au and check again at NZQN.

Let us know whether the files are different and whether the file from Custom.au fixes the issue.

Also, while you're at it please compare file dates of the other three spb files in Custom.AU against those in \Autogen, as well as that of default.xml

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger,

I compared the files in the "Autogen" folder in FSX with those of "Custom.au" folder in Orbx / Scripts and saw two files that were different : "Materials.spb" and "Extrusions.spb".
I replaced those of the "Autogen" folder with the ones of the "Custom.au" folder and I went to NZQN ... and everything was back to normal, black buildings were gone ! 8)
A big thank you to you, Holger :)

xp7eK.jpg

My thanks as well, Holger!

I only replaced the materials.spb (28.05.2014 vs. 11.05.2007) and that did the trick already. Checked four times (day, dusk, night and dawn) and the textures were all fine.

Sorry for asking a dumb question, will this file operation cause any side effects?

Hi guys,

glad to hear we're making progress.

Using Oliver's file date of May ‎10, ‎2007 for the "faulty" Materials.spb (thanks for providing that!) I was able to reproduce the problem for the first time on my PC. It appears the issue is with the FSX SP2 version of Materials.spb. Interestingly, the FSX Gold/Acceleration version -- which supposedly is FSX plus SP2 plus some additional content -- is different (dated â€ŽSeptember ‎26, ‎2007) and doesn't cause any problems. Thus, anyone using FSX Gold or Acceleration probably will never see black buildings at Queenstown.

Now, since the release of FTX Global Base we only use a single set of modified .spb and default.xml files across all products (and those sets also include the compatibility data for some Aerosoft, EarthSimulation, and FranceVFR products). Since we know that people might have old DVDs or outdated service packs installed we deliver this set to everyone via the Orbx Libraries. That's currently the May 28 2014 version I asked you to use instead and it also works with Queenstown as intended. The reason why switching FTX Central to Oceania doesn't activate that version is because we only switch files that we had to modify in a specific region (e.g. Oceania) and  Materials.spb isn't one of those ... or so we thought since we were unaware that it's apparently the default FSX SP2 version that is responsible for the incompatibility.

In short, the actual/final fix for this will be to update our script file that regulates which specific files are swapped for Oceania by adding Materials.spb to it. That should take care of the potential conflict once and for all. We need to think about how to best deliver that update. In the meantime, manually copying the Materials.spb from \ORBX\Scripts\Custom.au will do the trick.

Cheers, Holger

hi holger, very interesting, but be aware that i have the french fsx gold version and the wrong file, so the different iterations / variations of fsx files may be even more complex. ( nadine is probably french too ). still glad you nailed the issue. etienne

Holger,

you're welcome and I can confirm, using an English version of FSX Professional with SP1+2. (That's from the Gold edition, but without ever installing the AccPack.)

Keeping my finger crossed for those who have not had their issues resolved yet!

hi holger, very interesting, but be aware that i have the french fsx gold version and the wrong file, so the different iterations / variations of fsx files may be even more complex. ( nadine is probably french too ). still glad you nailed the issue. etienne

Yes, I have also the french FSX Gold/Acceleration version ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

glad to hear we're making progress.

Using Oliver's file date of May ‎10, ‎2007 for the "faulty" Materials.spb (thanks for providing that!) I was able to reproduce the problem for the first time on my PC. It appears the issue is with the FSX SP2 version of Materials.spb. Interestingly, the FSX Gold/Acceleration version -- which supposedly is FSX plus SP2 plus some additional content -- is different (dated â€ŽSeptember ‎26, ‎2007) and doesn't cause any problems. Thus, anyone using FSX Gold or Acceleration probably will never see black buildings at Queenstown.

Now, ..............

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger,

I've just had this black buildings issue and have cleared it up thanks to your solution and to the efforts of the other posters. Maybe of interest that I am running FSX Gold + Acceleration + FSGlobal + FS Global Vector and have only very recently installed NZQN.

Very many thanks again  - and I hope you will nail the final solution soon.

Archived