Pilot2ATC

Andrew 737

That is a very interesting program you found. I checked the videos and really like the information you can display while flying. I wonder if you can add voice packs to it because it seems you only have 2. Be nice if they had a demo.

It works with all voice packs that install into Windows.   I had a couple of ATT voices that I purchased a while back, installed and they were instantly selectable from Pilot2ATC.

Mike

I'm trying it now, but so far I'm not having any luck. I installed it on a network computer but haven't gotten it to connect. I'll try it with WideFS here in a sec. I tried to run it on the same machine as FSX but it doesn't list any airports or nav aids in the database screen so it tells me all my Com Freq are bad. So I uninstalled it and tried installing it again, but won't activate the trial again, says I need to buy a key now. 

Yeppers, I found this via my now defunct ATC proggy. One of the crew from the old ATC program is involved in this one.

I didn't muck around with the trial, I just bought it.

I'm looking to integrate it into the cockpit environment.

I've found pro's and cons, so far.

The pro's: Finally, after so long a voice activated ATC. The ATC voices are only as good as the one's already in your Microsoft environment, so for Win 7 64bit users, the default is ANNA, and she is terrible.

I can see lots of promise with this program, as long as the developer keeps up the development. It still has a way to go.

When it works, it is great. I like the interface, as it has lots of nice goodies, like a moving map and radio tuners that integrate into your existing radio set-up.

Charts and arrival information is available and all in all, a really solid, well thought out program. it also has a good manual and a good help system, over at Avsim. The network idea is good, too, for those of us with multiple PC's.

The cons: I think it is early days and the program is not quite there, yet. I had many issues, just getting the speech engine to be recognised and then had to speak the exact phrases for any response. it's getting better as I learn the ropes, but I am still to have a fully functional flight yet.

You also need to buy/have some more voices on your system and that can be costly.

In conclusion, I think this would be the best voice activated ATC program out there, at the moment. It has an active developer and looks like having scope for further improvements.

let's hope that is the case,

Frank

Yeah I haven't quite got it working yet. I did email about getting my trial reset and emailed the guy back and forth a few times, so I think the support is pretty good. but think the product needs a little more polish. 

Andrew, I had another semi-successful flight tonight.

I worked out a few of the bugs, they were mainly my problem.

The first thing I was doing wrong, was speaking too quickly, after I hit the PTT button. You need to give it a second, or your speech gets cut off and you will not get anything.

So, I managed to get Clearance delivery, handed off to ground for start and pushback. Then I managed to get ground to taxi me to the runway.

I also got handed off to the tower and managed a clearance for take-off.

All was going so well and then I had nothing from there.

I realised that I had made my flight too short and in the confusion, hadn't managed to call for incoming vectors, so my flight plan ran out, in the cdu and in Pilot2ATC and then nothing happens.

So, from now on, to cut down on the confusion, I'm going to fill out a full flight plan with a sid, star and landing runway and see how that goes.

Once I have my radio calls down pat, I'll try calling up vectors for landing.

It was pretty amazing for the short flight, but adding that next level of intricacy tends to take some time to master and time just goes so fast.

I'm loving this program, the more I fly with it.

Frank

Can Pilot2ATC handle VFR or only IFR flights? I may stand corrected, but if memory serves me right similar programs so far only were usable for IFR.

Another question concerns non-English Windows versions. I think only Windows Professional supports Installation of English language files into, e.g., a German Windows installation. (I know there are tricks, but I am not inclined to try them.) Any experience with this?

Thanks and kind reards, Michael

It does VFR and IFR.

Don't know about the language stuff.

But there is an optional outlay for voices, as the tired old Anna that comes with windows 7, is a pain in the proverbial.

I'm confident enough in the program and it's performance, that I'll shell out some extra money, now, and get some extra voices through Ivona.

Frank

Hahaha.....I just found that reading the manual has made a big difference.

36,000 feet with Nowra Centre on a filed plan from YSSY to YMLT.....fantastic stuff!

And all that Australian ATC chatter going on in the background, so realistic and so easy to set up. I'm never going back to my old program!

Frank

Hahaha.....I just found that reading the manual has made a big difference.

36,000 feet with Nowra Centre on a filed plan from YSSY to YMLT.....fantastic stuff!

And all that Australian ATC chatter going on in the background, so realistic and so easy to set up. I'm never going back to my old program!

Frank

Hmmm

That sounds like a promising bit of software

I spoke too soon. I was about 20nm out of DPO, coming for vectors from Approach and the whole lot blue-screened.

I'm not happy, as this rig is pretty stable and that proggy is the only thing that I've added lately, so I'll have a few more flights before pointing the finger.

All the same, it was awesome. Flight following all the way and the speech engine seems to get better and react better to your commands as it builds up a vocab.

You get to the point where, even when you make a few mistakes, it still gets the gist of what you are asking and replies.

Certainly going to keep flying with this on my desktop. If it settles and no more blueys, I'll consider integrating in the cockpit.

Frank

Frank,

Keep us in the picture please. I have been looking at programs for a while now and I must admit VOTAX was the leader for me until I started hearing moer about this one. It sounds the most promising so far.

Another unsuccessful flight last night.

I'm sitting in bay 5 at Launceston and all ready to rock'n'roll.

So, I look throo the radio list and it's Melbourne Centre for Clearance, but it's deaf. I call up about 25 times and check the radio, nothing wrong.

I tried the local Launy Tower and still nothing.

It was a real shame as I was looking forward to the flight. I'd filed a flight plan to Brisbane, so I just killed Pilot2ATC and flew the route anyway. I was also making sure the new version of ProSim (V 1.37) was operating properly, as well.

It was, it was a beautiful flight.

Tonight, I'm gonna fly another more common domestic route and see if I still have a problem. It seems to be, the problem is restricted to smaller airports.

Frank

To be honest with you Al, and I'm not sure this is a good yard stick, but the promo video of that product is so un-professional, I wouldn't buy their product.

I know that sounds ludicrous, but this is a field that needs some attention and a program that dates back that far is not for me.

Pilot2ATC is brand new and on the rise. There is another proggy that got my attention for a while, but their lack of attention and non-compliance with their forum, left me cold and I moved on.

The forum at Pilot2ATC is dynamic and moving and looking for improvements every day. They also answer queries very responsively and I like that (much like ORBX).

I'm happy to keep plodding away with this, it still seems to be the top of the food chain at the moment, so I'm happy to keep trying and giving reports on it's progress, if people want.

Frank

Yes VoxATC is still being developed. They still bring out Updates. Now they are at version 6.46 an it gets better and better...

The video is sh... but the product is good. IFR and VFR work good. Even STARS and SID is no problem. NAVDATA Updates and so on.

I admit, the older Version wasn´t that good. But now you can change your FP on the fly and even change from IFR to VFR and request for diverent approches.

There is now way around the manuel. You need to reed it!

99,9% of all software problems happen between the chair and the keeboard ;-)

Well, I had a great flight last night with the new Version 1.4, which came out a few days back.

Last night's flight was from Queenstown to Christchurch.

I encountered a few problems, such as Ground, not handing me off to tower for clearance to the end of the strip.

Apart from that, the rest of the flight was OK. There is still a problem with entering some waypoints. It may be a Nav Aid problem, as it does accept the major airways and VOR's.

Anyway, I had radio communications all the way to Christchurch, including vectors to the ILS 02, so that was a bonus.

When I landed, I got the "Get off the runway" speech and then got handed off to ground who gave me taxi clearance to a bay at the back of the airport (small problem there, too, where the airport diagram was wrong and the bay was already full).

The only thing that irks me about this proggy now, is it's lack of integration with my AI aircraft. I use Grahams marvellous FTX AI package, but it just refuses to see all of the AI aircraft and you find yourself taking off amid aircraft taxying onto the runway.

It's getting better and better, I'm sticking with it, it has a lot of potential.

Frank

Archived