Cherokee 180 A2A Add on problem

I have recently (yesterday) purchased my first add on aircraft the A2A Piper Cherokee 180 with Acc-Sim. This my first add on aircraft and not a good experience. After the download I had a read of the Flight Manual and than decided to take it for a spin. That was where my dream ended. Sitting at the end of the runway I hit the starter and got a very sluggish turnover, like a flat battery, then nothing. From that point on I got no response whatsoever. I rechecked the manual, maybe I missed something, no I didn't, not that I was aware of. I re-downloaded the file, still the same. I have contacted A2A support forum yesterday, but have not received any acknowledgement of my enquiry. I assumed I would have received something by now. SO my question is: has anyone else here purchased this aircraft and if so have they had this problem, or can anyone throw any light on this and what I should do, apart from flying it into a wall, which I can't do as it wont go. Someone pass me the matches.

Don   

Don, I have just downloaded and flown this aircraft for two hours, she is an absolute beauty. I suspect, with respect, and I'm only guessing, you may not be starting the aircraft properly. It may be fowled plugs, too rich, too lean on startup, dead battery? It could be several things why she wouldn't start. That's Accusim at work. If you are having problems starting the aircraft manually, why not start her auto, from the drop down menu, to confirm if in fact there is a problem or if it's finger trouble. I'm sure you'll sort it sooner or later.

Don

My Cherokee works perfectly in OrbX land.

Two suggestions :

- have you check your fuel tanks ? a common mistake is to forget to fill them up. It happens to the best :).

- are your fuses in the ON position  ?

Then A2A aircraft are very close to the real stuff and you also have to follow closely the checklist (Shift2) EDIT including the preflight !

Don,

The A2A Cherokee is one of the best aircraft I own and runs like a beauty, so although you might be frustrated because of the starter incident please do not give up.

The suggestion in this thread about the breaker/fuse seem a likely cause, or you have a flat battery. Did you visit the Hangar (popup) to check?

Did you post in the A2A Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support forum?  

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=116

In the meantime you can of course use the 'autostart' function on the popup panel to get flying.

Hi Don,

This is a great plane with a lot of features, including a maintenance hanger.this, and most other features can be accessed using shift+1,2,3,4etc, I think the hanger is shift+7. Sounds complicated but not as bad as it sounds.

I would suggest going to the hanger and clicking complete overhaul which should fix any aircraft faults. Have a browse through the variuous panels from the shift+ selections where you will find the auto start as mentioned above, amongst many other available options.

Worth persevering mate , this is a fabulous addon aircraft, IMHO one of the best available.

regards Reg.

Don, you have picked for yor first FSX experience one of the most complete and realistic planes there are today (GA).

I suggest that to avoid any more frustration, you do as Reg suggested and restore the Aircraft to a complete overhaul and read and follow all the instructions,(remember your days of PPL pilot )and start a fresh, once you do that you will agree with all of us ...this is one of the best GA aircraft on offer today...

regards  Jorge

Boy , I donno know Don , if this is your 1st add on you jumped in from a beater to a Rolls Royce. This is no your ordinary aircraft you bought your selve. These guys bust code after code putting this thing together. I have over 200 hours real world in this little sports car and shake my head every time I get in it. I can guaranty you it's not Orbx or the add on 180 . If you don't prime it, it wont start just like real world and you can flood it . If you leave the key on when you park it and come back the next day to fly it he battery will be dead cause the clock runs in the back ground even with the computer off . One guy said he went through 2 sets of tires already trying to land it properly, another guy blew a fuel line and had to put it down in a field . It's the 1st  aircraft in flight sim that I have ever flew that you don't have to chase the trim , and it's the 1st one I ever flown that you do a circuit get conf. on final pull the carb heat on bring the power right back and down she comes without adding power all the time just like real world . She's some machine and the auto pilot is not like any thing you've ever seen .

The Cherokee is excellent.  I have put 53 hours on it so far, haven't had to do a major overhaul, just changing a filter now and then.   I have had no crashes, glitches, abnormal flying behaviors at all.  Just a very pleasurable airplane to fly.  Yes, it is Accusim, so you must think and fly like a real pilot.  By flying Cherokee correctly, you become a better pilot.  I have real life IFR rating but am not current, this Cherokee such a fun plane to fly in IMC and instrument approaches, it really is helping to put my 'brain' into IFR mode.  

The Cherokee has become my favorite GA addon.  Sure it is not exactly a speed demon, nor is it an aerobatic king, but it is extremely pleasurable to fly, and to simulate airplane ownership.  I see it as simulating owning a Cherokee, building hours and experience, while waiting for A2A to release their Comanche or V35 next,  The high performance single is a typical next step for aircraft owner, who typically builds hours and experience a few years prior in an economical training plane.

The 172 is also a fantastic airplane, made much better with the latest Accusim core update.  IMHO the Cherokee is the better cruiser and easier flying airplane, while the 172 is the better training airplane because it does make you work harder.

Cheers

TJ.  

Yes, the 172 is excellent as well.  Although similar size and power, they have some quite different handling characteristics: in particular, I find the 172 more difficult to control in a crosswind, especially on landing.  Its stall characteristics are also quite different.

Don,

If no other suggestions work the thing to try is to delete the Cherokee ".dat" file which is in C:/Documents/A2A/Cherokee/  or /PA180 or similar can't quite remember. This is the "persistent"  file and will not be removed by uninstalling or similar. If there is a corruption in that file (which happens very occasionally) no amount of other fixing will help. But my best guess would be that you flattened the battery as previously suggested.  

You need to do the full walk around each time too or you are just as likely to find a bird in the air inlet or bugs in the Pitot tube ruins your whole day!

If you want a gentler introduction to Accusim, try the Spit (Although I may be biased :);)  ) as she is a lot easier systems wise and predates the full walkaround tech.

Darryl

I agree with what's been said about the comparisons between the PA180 and 172, I too find the Cherokee easier to fly than the Cessna. I've just got my third hour in the Cherokee and really, really like her. I sometimes need to pinch myself to remind me it's not for real 8)

+1...A2A is real world....Enjoy the flight.  Has anyone tried the 172?

I have both and it is just as good all the way around. A2A doesn't make anything that isn't top shelf.

I was told that if I had a problem to lodge a post and I would get plenty of help - thank you all this is fantastic. First up yesterday whilst having another shot, I make a quick pick - Friday Harbour curious because the aircraft is already flying, and yep the engine cut out. I have to say this thing glides beautifully, I made a perfect dead stick landing on one of those islands. What a way to go, how sweet! Now serious business. I did not expect to buy an aircraft that needed an immediate major engine overhaul, yes guys that was my problem. As I had just bought this I never even considered a visit to the hanger for a mechanical check, hey the sales guy told me it was in top nick. So that was the problem worn rings and bearings, sooted plugs, yep and probably a flat battery to boot. So I am up and flying and yes such a sweet aircraft. My 140 days were 30 years ago so the memory is a bit dim, but I do remember the first time my instructor pulled the throttle off and told me "engine dead", find a place to land. It was a jocks changing experience:)

Thanks to: Ruud you got me going in the right direction, Howard, Dominique, Eric, Reg, Jorge, Loius, TJ, Darryl and others for your advice and comments.

This realism at its best.

Don

Glad you got it sorted out Don.  The A2A Cherokee is a real treasure in the FS world.  Like the real airplane, you would be wise follow good pilot practices such as pre-flight weight&balance check, leaning on the ground, doing a proper run-up, following checklists, adhering to aircraft limitations and so on.  

I think you you might have inadvertently hit the 'USED AIRCRAFT' feature when you first tried it out.  This feature will randomly wear things out and give you a real junker of a plane.  To have a 'new' plane, just go to the maint. hangar and do a complete overhaul.

If you haven't done so already, go check out the repaints thread in the A2A Cherokee Support forum, there are a few VH registration repaints available now.

Cheers

TJ

Glad you got it sorted out Don.  The A2A Cherokee is a real treasure in the FS world.  Like the real airplane, you would be wise follow good pilot practices such as pre-flight weight&balance check, leaning on the ground, doing a proper run-up, following checklists, adhering to aircraft limitations and so on.  

I think you you might have inadvertently hit the 'USED AIRCRAFT' feature when you first tried it out.  This feature will randomly wear things out and give you a real junker of a plane.  To have a 'new' plane, just go to the maint. hangar and do a complete overhaul.

If you haven't done so already, go check out the repaints thread in the A2A Cherokee Support forum, there are a few VH registration repaints available now.

Cheers

TJ

while I haven't got the A2A Cherokee , the first go in the Used Aircraft of the 172 made things a bit tricky for me.. 

and I guess it takes time learning any plane, and I think that's why most pilots fly only one or maybe 2 different planes in real life?

I could be wrong and these guys on this forum are the best for helping out with problems ! 

I am the spares storeman for a fleet of 172's and I've had a run on batteries lately cause it's cold, don't really know why they pack in when it's cold, I just re order when I'm told but that'd be cool if it was a seasonal thing with the A2A Concordes

Archived