Performance of Realair Turbine Duke

As you guys who saw my thread on the Carenado Kingair may know already, I really care about FPS in my aircraft. I was going to buy the Kingair C90 but saw the Realair Turbine Duke for $20,so I'm interested in that. Reviews are all favorable, but none mention how performance is. I ask those of you who own this, how is FPS in the Seattle area or at ORBX airports around Seattle (Anacortes, Orcase, Jefferson Co, etc)?

You may wonder why I'm not interested in the Duke V2, reason being that V2 isn't turbine and $20 seems like a great deal for such a nice looking plane.

-Mac

I have all the Dukes but prefer the piston V2 for all the excellent modeling of the start up and systems. That is just my preference but others will like the turbine but it ain't the same as the V2. I have alot of Orbx scenery including some taxing airports but my rig runs just fine. I am not going to quote you FPS but I will just say "tweek at your peril". If your rig has trouble now, and it shouldn't looking at your specs, then it's not set up correctly.

Cheers, Kevin

I also have both the Piston and Turbine Dukes. Both perform well in regards to FPS, and on my system, I find that the turbine Duke is marginally 'lighter' on frames than the Piston version. The 'start up' procedure on the Piston Duke is nicely modelled with appropriate engine vibrations, but my own preference is for the Turbine. I didn't really appreciate what folk meant by certain add-on aircraft being "smoother" than others even in low FPS situations until I got the Turbine Duke. In high autogen areas where frames might dip down to say 24fps, I still find it incredibly smooth. I think its the only add-on aircraft I have that makes the FPS issue less of an issue.

I haven't got any of the Seattle area airports you mentioned, otherwise I'd have tested it on my low end to mid range system. Your own system is far more capable than mine, so I cannot see the Turbine Duke taxing it that much. At $20 I'd certainly recommend it!

I've probably made the images too small, but you 'might' just be able to see its running at my locked 30fps in the three shots? That's with an NVidea 530
graphics card and an i5 something or other. The Airfield I used was the excellent freeware Bowerman, which obviously won't be a major league FPS killer, and flying in the mountains without thunderstorms, tornados and heavy snow won't be too challenging,  but maybe it'll give you a little more confidence?

yfDmS.jpg

vMYsV.jpg

1lwc5.jpg

If they could just work out how to make the throttle on the Turbine Duke a bit more controllable (particularly for ground handling), then I would be flying it all of the time. I love the performance, and the sound of those turbine engines, and it goes without saying that the 3D model and VC are top quality.

Archived