FSX & Shadowplay

jerdoo

I tested Shadowplay in P3D2 all versions a while ago. It is almost perfect solution to record HQ footage and to edit these without hassle in FinalCut for ex. But in the latest beta the feature "hide mouse cursor" is missing unfortunately. Hope that will be implemented in the next release of Shadowplay.

Very nice and smooth! But I don't see FSX in the supported game?

To record vids with shadowplay the game does not have to be "officially supported" You can either record native full screen games like Battlefield or FSX (cause it has a native fullscreen mode) or you can just grab your desktop moves. The desktop mode is good for recording P3D2 footage. Downpoint of the desktop mode is that the mouse is visible while recording.

The best part of shadowplay is the "no performance hit" and it is free!!!

The worst part is it only works with current NVidia cards, and my 8800GTX isn't supported.  :banghead:

Good thing, Bruce, is you can override it ;) I did that with my GT750M in my MacBook Pro

To run shadowplay:

Open run(win key+r)

Type: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience\GFExperience.exe" -shadowplay

Press enter.

You can make a shortcut to your desktop too. Just google for it :)

Good thing, Bruce, is you can override it ;) I did that with my GT750M in my MacBook Pro

To run shadowplay:

Open run(win key+r)

Type: "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience\GFExperience.exe" -shadowplay

Press enter.

You can make a shortcut to your desktop too. Just google for it :)

would that work with my 590? I'm so not convince right now to invest on a new card.

Thanks, Ben

Yup! Shadowplay is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to in-game video recording. Almost no fps loss at all. I've done a few vids using the new A2A Cherokee and they turned out great, until I uploaded them to youtube. Youtube compressed them badly and they look grainy and jerky. It might be because I converted the raw files before I uploaded them. On the other hand, it would've taken like a whole day to upload the raw file with my internet connection so I had to. I have a GTX 750 1GB card and it runs FSX perfectly, even when using shadowplay it only stutters a bit when it saves the video file to the HD but it won't show in the finished clips anyway. Here are is one of a few vids I made using shadowplay:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h20kBsMdJds

As I said, the performance of this video is not representative of shadowplay because youtube ruined it with their compression/conversion when I uploaded it. Performance in the raw files are basically 1-to-1 with actual gameplay, great stuff nvidia!

Cool video Jerdoo!

It's the best thing to come along for capturing video's and creating desktop presentations as there's no FPS hit at all on my machine. FRAPS used to give me a 10-12 FPS hit when I used it depending where I was flying in FSX/P3D. I ordered a second GTX Titan Black from EVGA to run in SLI for a game I play called Armed Assault 3 (Arma 3) It's still the most CPU and graphically demanding simulation I currently play and adding a second GTX Titan will allow me to play on 3 monitors as well as max the games settings out completely. The new Wolfenstein game that was just released is another extremely GPU heavy game.

Cool video Jerdoo!

It's the best thing to come along for capturing video's and creating desktop presentations as there's no FPS hit at all on my machine. FRAPS used to give me a 10-12 FPS hit when I used it depending where I was flying in FSX/P3D. I ordered a second GTX Titan Black from EVGA to run in SLI for a game I play called Armed Assault 3 (Arma 3) It's still the most CPU and graphically demanding simulation I currently play and adding a second GTX Titan will allow me to play on 3 monitors as well as max the games settings out completely. The new Wolfenstein game that was just released is another extremely GPU heavy game.

I know right! It's like some black magic Nvidia are using that my limited mind can't comprehend. I'm using a simple vanilla Zotac GTX 750 and loose no performance in the video captures I make, fantastic!

Yup! Shadowplay is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to in-game video recording. Almost no fps loss at all. I've done a few vids using the new A2A Cherokee and they turned out great, until I uploaded them to youtube. Youtube compressed them badly and they look grainy and jerky. It might be because I converted the raw files before I uploaded them. On the other hand, it would've taken like a whole day to upload the raw file with my internet connection so I had to. I have a GTX 750 1GB card and it runs FSX perfectly, even when using shadowplay it only stutters a bit when it saves the video file to the HD but it won't show in the finished clips anyway. Here are is one of a few vids I made using shadowplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h20kBsMdJds

As I said, the performance of this video is not representative of shadowplay because youtube ruined it with their compression/conversion when I uploaded it. Performance in the raw files are basically 1-to-1 with actual gameplay, great stuff nvidia!

The raw quality should be re-sampled before uploading to Youtube. Also especially because the volume level is very very high. I always lower it down, re-sample my video so it's 1/2 the file-size if not less and only then upload to Youtube. If you do all of these things correctly, including making sure the re-sampled video is 1080p, you should get pretty good results. There was a time where you'd upload to Youtube and it darkened the whole video, meaning you had to take some extra measures when re-sampling it. Now you don't even have to do anymore.

Ok, thanks for the tip! I converted my raw video files to .mp4 (good quality) and scaled down to 720p. Quality and fps was just fine until I uploaded it. I'll try your method though, thanks again. =)

Cool video Jerdoo!

As long as you know that running SLI in FSX will only decrease fps as far as my knowledge goes

As long as you know that running SLI in FSX will only decrease fps as far as my knowledge goes

Yeah I know, it's for other games and *maybe* *hopefully* P3D X.X that *might* provide support for SLI in the future. When using FSX I simply will turn off one card like I used to with my SLI 580's.

What's also very cool about the Titan Black (other than it having 6GB's of memory) is the fact you can run 3 monitors off one single Titan card without having to use a Matrox Triple Head 2 Go unit. I've got 3 monitors on my desktop each of which is a different size and I'm still able to drag FSX and P3D across all three monitors and maintain the correct aspect ratio.

• 3 months later...

Nice video, beautiful mountains ......  Finland I'm guessing.  I flew a 180 through power lines once.  Unfamiliar airport that had power lines across one end of the runway.  The power poles were in the trees on both sides so I missed that.  No injuries but damage to the prop, OAT (and of course the windshield), and the Rotating Beacon that was sliced off the tail.  My passenger never flew again as long as I knew him .....

Archived