Freeware airports in areas outside of FTX regions

According the the very helpful "Definitive Guide," we the standard FTX Airport addons were designed to be used in their specific region and will will not function correctly in default (or FTX Global) scenery.  Is the same true for the many freeware airports, specifically the in the North America pack?

At the moment I only have the FTX Global Base Pack and the Vector Pack.  I don't have a OpenLC (or any landclass layer) and don't have a mesh terrain -- though that might change soon if I get the FS Global 2010.  Do the freeware airports need more what I currently have?

Thanks -- and sorry if this a newbie question.  I just bought FSX and the Orbx this past week!

At the moment I only have the FTX Global Base Pack and the Vector Pack.  I don't have a OpenLC (or any landclass layer) and don't have a mesh terrain -- though that might change soon if I get the FS Global 2010.  Do the freeware airports need more what I currently have?

All you need for the freeware FTX Global airport packs is just what you have. Well, you may run into some elevation issues without the mesh but maybe not. In any case I recommend getting a good mesh, and FS Global 2010 works well with ORBX.

Download and enjoy.

Welcome to the forums.

Like Ripcord says, you're good to go...

The FTX Global Airport freeware packs are designed specifically to enhance select airports around the FTX Global world... Not really needed in the regions as they are all upgraded anyway :)

-- and sorry if this a newbie question.  

A warm welcome to the friendly forums. And there is no need to apologise, everyone here has been stuck or needed advice some time or other (or will do  ;) ) Just stick to the rules and you will find everyone very helpful. I have.

All you need for the freeware FTX Global airport packs is just what you have. Well, you may run into some elevation issues without the mesh but maybe not. In any case I recommend getting a good mesh, and FS Global 2010 works well with ORBX.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was worried about ...  and indeed the exact thing I ran into the first three freeware airports i tried out.  There were steep hills popping up right there next to a runway, or crazy drop offs that didn't seem right.  After hopping around to a several airports, it looks like most of them are just fine.

I was thinking about getting the FS Global 2010 mesh -- it's pricey though considering I just spend +$200 USD on the base, vector, and a couple of other airports.  Yikes!

Like Ripcord says, you're good to go...

The FTX Global Airport freeware packs are designed specifically to enhance select airports around the FTX Global world... Not really needed in the regions as they are all upgraded anyway :)

Yup, regions are definitely on my list. :) Wish there were more of them though -- especially on the eastern seaboard of the US, Mexico, and the Caribbean which, at the moment at least, is where I'm flying most often.

A warm welcome to the friendly forums. And there is no need to apologise, everyone here has been stuck or needed advice some time or other (or will do  ;) ) Just stick to the rules and you will find everyone very helpful. I have.

Thanks, tuisong.  Appreciate the friendly atmosphere.  Cheers!

I only fly inside the regions about 40-50% of the time. If you just sprang for Global + Vector, then it is a crime not to have a good mesh. And the mesh you refer to is a very good choice, because it fits closest with Vector.

From here on out, it gets cheaper, when considering regions and airports within those regions.

Well, one note there -- we do have Open LandClass packs inbound, and those will be a bit spendy as well. But you can see that the guys continually invest their time in improving them and releasing updates, so it looks to be a good investment IMHO. Of course, my opinion is pretty biased as I have already admitted I have an ORBX addiction.

So the Global airport freeware packs are OK but what about the individual NA airports listed in the freeware page? there are 7 of them,(2S1, Portland, KHQM, CEN4, CEJ4, 7WA3, CBB7) Do they need the regions?

Hi Derek,

I would say yes, as they are all inside the PNW region area. 

Edit:  As KHQM is part of the free "Pacific Northwest Demo" package you'd be crazy not to get the demo package, it includes an additional 41 or so airports and the whole Olympic Peninsula.

The "FTXG" freeware packs are set up to use Global and Vector alone and (with one accidental exception) are outside any "regions".  When doing these I use default FSX mesh so an outside mesh is not needed, although the present Vector requires some of the AEC files to be set to "disable" to look correct.

Cheers, Neil 

I was thinking about getting the FS Global 2010 mesh -- it's pricey though considering I just spend +$200 USD on the base, vector, and a couple of other airports.  Yikes!

Like everything else in this hobby, you get what you pay for.  If you're going Global, Vector, and openLC, you really want to kill it with default mesh?  :D

Thanks Neil, I'll download the PNW demo and then probably put the full region on my "wish list"

I've got Global/Vector/Pilot's mesh so always look forward to your Global airport packs. Thanks for those, think they're great.

Cheers...Derek

I only fly inside the regions about 40-50% of the time. If you just sprang for Global + Vector, then it is a crime not to have a good mesh. And the mesh you refer to is a very good choice, because it fits closest with Vector.

Like everything else in this hobby, you get what you pay for.  If you're going Global, Vector, and openLC, you really want to kill it with default mesh?  :D

Ok ok, Ripcord & Bruce -- consider my arm twisted.  My next purchase will be a FS Global 2010 ... and that purchase will probably be withing the next day or two!   ;)

The "FTXG" freeware packs are set up to use Global and Vector alone and (with one accidental exception) are outside any "regions".  When doing these I use default FSX mesh so an outside mesh is not needed, although the present Vector requires some of the AEC files to be set to "disable" to look correct.

Two questions: What are AEC files and why would I disable them?  Also, you're saying freeware packs would work better with the default mesh as opposed to, say, FS Global 2010?

(Guess I'm still not sure how this whole thing works.  I've been flight simming for about a week total.  Ha!)

Ok ok, Ripcord & Bruce -- consider my arm twisted.  My next purchase will be a FS Global 2010 ... and that purchase will probably be withing the next day or two!   ;)

Two questions: What are AEC files and why would I disable them?  Also, you're saying freeware packs would work better with the default mesh as opposed to, say, FS Global 2010?

(Guess I'm still not sure how this whole thing works.  I've been flight simming for about a week total.  Ha!)

The AEC system (I call it a system, as it's actually made up of multiple files) resides in your FTX Global Vector scenery folders. AEC stands for Airport Elevation Correction and it does exactly that... It corrects airports to better match the real world terrain. It should only be disabled for 3rd party (i.e. any airports other than pure FSX default)

However, lucky for you, there's no need to fiddle around and manually disable the files... Just open the Vector control panel and click on the last tab... You can then simply select the airport you wish to disable the AEC for from the list, or type the ident and then move it over to the "disabled" list. (Just make sure to hit "Apply after you add it to the list ;) )

In your case, with no full regions installed, it should be a fairly straight forward task to find the airports and disable AEC. However, as your collection grows, that can be time consuming... Again, lucky for you (and the rest of us!), Vector 1.15 is due for release very soon and this adds an automatic scan mode to detect which airports are installed and which ones need AEC disabled... And does all the hard work for you. It also lets you save profiles.

As for the FTX Global Freeware airports,

It has indeed been my experience that they do work a lot better with default mesh... Luckily, they are in parts of the world that have a decent default mesh anyway so you I simply disable those parts of my FSGlobal mesh product and hardly see any difference, other than better fitting Global Freeware airports ;)

The AEC system (I call it a system, as it's actually made up of multiple files) resides in your FTX Global Vector scenery folders. AEC stands for Airport Elevation Correction and it does exactly that... It corrects airports to better match the real world terrain. It should only be disabled for 3rd party (i.e. any airports other than pure FSX default)

However, lucky for you, there's no need to fiddle around and manually disable the files... Just open the Vector control panel and click on the last tab... You can then simply select the airport you wish to disable the AEC for from the list, or type the ident and then move it over to the "disabled" list. (Just make sure to hit "Apply after you add it to the list ;) )

Ok, I got it ... I think.  But just to be clear....

You're saying I want to disable the AEC in the config tool as you described above only for airports made by third party software (ie: Aerosoft, MegaScenery, etc.) as well as for the 70(?) or so in the FTX freeware package, but not for any other plain old default FSX airport or any FTX payware airport I purchase.  Is that right?  :-/

Ok, I got it ... I think.  But just to be clear....

You're saying I want to disable the AEC in the config tool as you described above only for airports made by third party software (ie: Aerosoft, MegaScenery, etc.) as well as for the 70(?) or so in the FTX freeware package, but not for any other plain old default FSX airport or any FTX payware airport I purchase.  Is that right?  :-/

Almost...

If you purchase FTX payware airports, then these are considered 3rd party airports... So you should disable AEC for those too.

"3rd party" essentially means any airport not provided by the stock FSX installation with no adjustments... or, as I put it previously, "Pure FSX Default", so any upgraded/updated airport you install that replaces a default FSX airport, is 3rd party.

Of course, at present purchasing any existing FTX payware airport would not work correctly with your setup... The Payware airports are designed to be used exclusively in the full FTX region that they reside in. Not in FTX Global.

There are some FTX payware airports in development that will change this (for example Narvik in Norway), as these are designed to fit with FTX Global and/or the full region (when it is released), but for now you would need to get the full FTX region to use the current batch of FTX Payware airports.

Archived