Melbourne Under a Cloudy Sky.

Here is a screenshot of Melbourne I just had to share. I have to say the impact that cloud shadows have on the feeling of being there is quite amazing, particularly when you are stationary and the shadow drifts across you. Click on the image to see the full size version.

As for YMML itself, we will be adding a little more content to the P3D V2 version so watch this space. We'll post some official screenshots as we progress.

cxC9k.jpg

Great Picture Graham.  Does the new feature justice.  I take it that the shadows move as well with the clouds?

Yes they do. I had to wait a little while until that small break in the cloud was in the correct spot on the taxiway and apron as you see in the screenshot. It is quite mesmerising to watch.

Performance varies. The best time to use cloud shadows is when you have broken clouds with lots of blue sky gaps; in that instance there's a minor FPS hit.

If you have overcast conditions with no blue sky there's a bigger hit, but disabling shadows can be done in-sim.

Thanks for the reply. Last question for anyone who is using the new patch for testing, if say you are looking at a building/objects shadow on the ground or cast on another object and the cloud shadow moves over the area, does that shadow get washed out? Just curious.

Yes they do. I had to wait a little while until that small break in the cloud was in the correct spot on the taxiway and apron as you see in the screenshot. It is quite mesmerising to watch.

I imagine It must look great looking at a specific area with the sim rate increased to show the clouds passing by quickly.  I cannot wait to get the upgrade to v2.2 in order to do that.  

Nice, Graham I was actually in YMML yesterday afternoon, being Friday 4/4, departing in a 737-800 on Qantas. The low lying cloud cover was fairly thick, but where there was a few patches where the clouds opened, and it looked very similar to the rendering you have shared with shading of it.

I'm looking forward to buying more of the Aussie Orbx airports, the only thing stopping me is waiting on those I don't have that are yet to be released with a P3DV2 installer :)

Archived