NCA KSFO Rwy 28R Disappearing

JohnE77

i just purchased and installed NCA for FSX. Looks good so far, but I'm having some graphical issues. The most pressing one now is that after landing on Rwy 28R at KSFO and taxing to the end of the runway, the runway disappears beneath me and all of a sudden I'm taxing on grass (the surface that's originally next to the runway). I have the latest ORBX Libs installed, and I have cycled FTX Central.

Just me, or can this be replicated using FSX?

Thanks,

John

When I start up FSX at KSFO runway 10L the runway problem is very apparent (grass where the runway should be).

Also, in San Francisco between Candlestick Park and AT&T Park there is a large commercial shipping area with very bright lights on during the daytime. Obnoxiously bright. I do not see these lights over in Oakland in their commercial shipping/industrial area.

Just me? Again, I'm using FSX, and I have no other scenery installed for Northern California.

Thanks anyone!

John

Hi John,

for NCA we altered the elevation of KFSO from the default 13ft to 12.1ft in order to be compatible with Flightbeam's KSFO add-on (I've no idea why they decided to lower the airport altitude by 0.9ft!?!). The issues you have typically happen if another add-on for that airport uses a different (e.g., the default) altitude but has higher display priority than our version.

I'd suggest running a Windows search for .bgl files that include KSFO as part of their names. It should bring up those that are part of NCA:

ADEX_FTX_NCA_KSFO_San_Francisco_Intl.BGL

ADEX_FTX_NCA_KSFO_San_Francisco_Intl_CVX.bgl

FTX_NCA_objects_KSFO_PLC.bgl

ADE_FTX_NCA_KSFO_elevation_adjustment.BGL (2 locations)

but anything else that comes up would be a potential culprit (except for those associated with the Flightbeam add-on, if you're using that). If you're not sure post a screenshot or list of the search result with full file names and folder paths and we can help with further diagnosis.

Cheers, Holger 

I got the turf to go away in FSX by recycling the area from global to NA over and over. Then installed NCA in P3Dv2. There is the turf all over again. I just gave up and bought the Flightbeam KSFO. Problem solved, looks great. Yea for $33.00. Still a glaring problem in an other wise masterpiece.

Hi John,

for NCA we altered the elevation of KFSO from the default 13ft to 12.1ft in order to be compatible with Flightbeam's KSFO add-on (I've no idea why they decided to lower the airport altitude by 0.9ft!?!). The issues you have typically happen if another add-on for that airport uses a different (e.g., the default) altitude but has higher display priority than our version.

I'd suggest running a Windows search for .bgl files that include KSFO as part of their names. It should bring up those that are part of NCA:

ADEX_FTX_NCA_KSFO_San_Francisco_Intl.BGL

ADEX_FTX_NCA_KSFO_San_Francisco_Intl_CVX.bgl

FTX_NCA_objects_KSFO_PLC.bgl

ADE_FTX_NCA_KSFO_elevation_adjustment.BGL (2 locations)              xxxxx)

but anything else that comes up would be a potential culprit (except for those associated with the Flightbeam add-on, if you're using that). If you're not sure post a screenshot or list of the search result with full file names and folder paths and we can help with further diagnosis.

Cheers, Holger 

xxxxx)  I only found one in ......Scenery/World/scenery

Where should the second one be?

Hi guys,

@ texerrn: well, Flightbeam will appreciate the business and I'm sure you'll enjoy their KSFO as it is a great add-on. However, the easier fix would have been to search for third-party KSFO files because they are the ones that cause the elevation issues.

@ Dieter: the second copy of the elevation adjustment file is in \ORBX\Scripts\Custom.na\OFF. However, that folder is just a backup repository in case one of the active files in \Scenery\World\scenery goes missing. None of the files in the \OFF folder are active.

Cheers, Holger

I do not believe I have any addons that might include KSFO, but I have the same issue.

At a 38m mesh setting, the grass disappears, but at a 10m or 5m setting, there are grass strips

across Rwy 10L...

The other runways are OK.

Edit:  I have a KSFO elevation adjustment.bgl  in the Custom.na\Off folder...  and in the World\Scenery folder

Edit: If I rename the adjustment.bgl, the grass disappears, but the taxiway signs are sunken into the pavement..

Downloading the latest FTX library as we speak..

Edit: Latest libraries did not fix it.. sending a screenshot via email

For clarity, this is in FSX.

Thanks Holgers.I have always admired you work. I have no 3rd party scenery though. This a fresh, new, virgin install of P3dv2.1. Nothing added at all that didn't' come from Orbx or LM. Thanks

I will go try 38m and see what happens

Holger,

FWIW my setup is FSX, Global, VECTOR, DX9 no addon MESH, scenery, textures etc. except ORBX for the Bay Area.  KSFO R/W 10 (and all the rest) appear normal, no grass or elevation issues.  Perhaps it is a P3D specfic thing.

Holger, I have the same problem that John is experiencing with rwy 10L area.  Tried all the fixes mentioned but still no change.  I do have Flight beam KSFO installed and use DX10. I also deleted the elevation adjustment file in the scenery folder and did not notice any difference. 

Thanks for your continued help.  

Carl

I noticed the same thing, checked to see if any other bgl's for SFO were active, found one, dropped it in the order so NCA was higher in the list. KSFO now displays perfectly, from 2000ft to landing and taxiing all runways and taxiways at the correct level and displaying properly.

Using FSX.

Awesome job by the way FTX team, I just flew round the bay and checked out google earth for various landmarks etc, just stunning scenery guys, best scenery job yet!!  I am happy with my purchase. :)

I don't have any addons for California other than NCA. I am using UTX USA. But, I'm pretty sure there's no UTX file associated with KSFO.

Awaiting an update, Holger. Thanks for looking into this further. Much appreciated, and overall I think NCA is very well done and will only get better over time with patches, ORBX airports, cityscapes, etc… Keep up the good work!

John

Hi guys,

Chris made some tweaks to our KSFO flattens. Please grab the attached files and drop them into {FSX}\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NCA05_SCENERY\scenery, overwriting the current versions.

Let us know if that takes care of any grass incursions at RW 10L.

Cheers, Holger

FTX_NCA_KSFO_San_Francisco_Intl.zip

yup....and that is a QC issue as far as I am concerned....

Introduce a new Product and the most important airport in it is flawed...note that the lead in lights over the bay are also missing

So...start at the bottom right and note the altitude.  This was taken from P3Dv2.1 screenies.  As we move up from 480ft(bottom Right), to 1980ft(Top Left), the grass is gone from the runways...note...screenshot compilation of the scenery library, shows what scenery layers are on, but more importantly...OFF...

It had been mentioned elsewhere that turning off Vector layers solved the problem...as you can see....not here....Orbx....we need an answer to this ASAP....expecially when...and note this everyone...READ THE EULA!!!!....if you dont buy the packaged product and choose to download...you are screwed if you want a refund...

so I am STUCK with Vector which gives you glowing big letters and in little bitty letters...."but we dont cover all the roads..."....yeah,  I am a dumb sh*t for expecting a product only 5GB to cover all the roads...expecially my rural roads...see my previous posts re vector by simply looking up my content

you download....you dont like the product....you are stuck with it...buy the boxed product...or better than that....don't buy ANYTHING unless you get to try it ....and NCal has NO Demo....yup.....I'M a dummy again, because THE major Airport in the product, KSFO...appears broken...and I would NOT have purchased the product...just sayin folks....Orbx looks out for themselves....you...look out for yourself....Caveat Emptor!

ok...now lookit below...I believe you can click and see it full size...                           

Note: in PNW....Portland freebie scenery....the entire scenery of downtown disappears if you get too close or too low OR Look at it from the WRONG ANGLE...especially when you try to recreate the normal downtown pix of Portland with a HUGE Mt. Hood in the background...so place Portland between you and Mt hood...and watch how Portland disappears under the above conditions, and....MT. HOOD...doesnt even show up and then as a tiny triangle, before around 1500-1600 ft....      

ZjztS.jpg

Holger,

We appreciate the effort, and I am happy for the guys for whom your flatten worked, but as you can see, Rwys 19 and 28 are still covered with grass. I tried everything from 152-2 M/pixel....this is 2.  I will say that the corser I got with the Mesh, the more of the Rwys showed up...

....I will be happy to try anything you suggest..

Thanks,

Chas

3DtCz.jpg

Hi Chas,

actually, I don't see NCA in those screenshots, witness the odd urban textures around the airport fringes and the default shoreline texture. Thus, I'd suggest to first run FTX Central and selecting North America and pressing Apply, and then to check your scenery library menu that the four NCA entries are present (FTX_NA_NCA05_SCENERY etc.) and that you don't have any other third-party landclass/landscape add-ons at higher display priority than the FTX block, for example UTX or SceneryTech. Similarily, the FTX Global Vector and openLC entries should be situated below the FTX block meaning at lower display priority.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Chas,

actually, I don't see NCA in those screenshots, ...

Cheers, Holger

Holger, took a chance and completely reinstalled NCA. Got the runways back.... Gonna do some flying to enjoy NCal...any idea if SoCal is in the works?

Thanks for your time and keen eye.

chas

That worked, Outstanding!

Not so much... Vector turned off and yes I got my runways back, but...

My Lancair in Legacy mode, around KSFO is in the single digits...down to 4.x FPS in one instance....that with an over clocked i7-2600K/Nvidia 770TI...and settings at normal...sliders in the middle.

C

Hello Holger,

I have not had this particular problem although I have saved a copy of your fix just in case it crops up. I do not have FTX Global and I was wondering if this issue might be more related to a conflict between NCA and Global?

I have been to quite a lot of places checking out NCA and while I am 98% impressed I have noticed some minor problems.

1. Traffic tunnels that should run under taxiways at Oakland laying on top of those taxiways. I didn't think that was worth a problem report of it's own. Hopefully it will be addressed in a future patch??

2. Generally crappy conditions at Half Moon Bay. Buildings floating in the air and no noticeable improvement of the facilities. Kind of what I expect from default FSX or MSE but not from ORBX FTX. I know the payware version is scheduled to be out in June and I will endeavor to be first in line to buy it but I have come to expect more class from FTX than to put out something that is half baked even if it is temporary. It isn't temporary for customers that want to use "out of the box" NCA.  (Not that it come in a box.)

I'm sorry... don't mean to dump on you but I was rather disappointed by what I saw at Half Moon Bay. NCA in general is beyond outstanding.

Thanks,

Tom Wunder

Holger,

I want to apologize for my post above from yesterday. I was taking a ton of screen shots all over NCA to use to try to get some friends interested in NCA and 3 attempts at Half Moon Bay were very upsetting. I kept getting the conditions I described above. Now a few minutes ago I tried it again and HMB was looking pretty decent. Not a work of art but no buildings in the air and most definitely not something that could be described as "crappy", "half baked", or "no noticeable improvements". It does definitely show that some care was put into improving it for NCA. I have no idea why it was looking so terrible the other day on my system. It would have been nice to add a radar antenna or two at Pillar Point but the lack of it isn't a major sin either. And I still intend to be 1st in line for the payware version.

I meant no disrespect,

Thank you,

Tom Wunder

PS - The traffic tunnels are still laying on top of the taxiways over in Oakland. Not a big deal... just thought I'd mention it. :)

In response to Tom’s March 10 post, I listed this KOAK tunnel problem in my March 2 post, “NCA KOAK & Presidio freeway pavement issuesâ€. The other issues I listed in this message were promptly and satisfactorily answered. But no one spoke to the KOAK tunnels issue.

You can see my message and tunnel screen captures in my post:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74779-nca-koak-presidio-freeway-pavement-issues/

I hope this was just an oversight by whoever created the KOAK scenery upgrade. Except for the tunnel issue, the other FTX KOAK changes are a great improvement over the default FSX KOAK.

Howard_S

Archived