Please update the Orbx product installation order thread in the FAQ.

Matt McGee

Orbx, please update the product installation thread in the FAQ.

"Installation order for Orbx products" in bold type, pinned (and locked) at the top of the Support Forum would probably help too, since people are constantly asking the proper installation order of Orbx products.

I know the search function is our friend and most people can piece together the install order by searching "installation order" and wading through the 176 results.  However it would only take a few minutes to create a singleofficial, and up to date Orbx thread.  One place to look, or direct people to look, that would be updated as new Orbx products are released.

IMHO, the format of the current thread in the FAQ is OK.  (Order of products & patches, FTX Central setting at each step, all good.)  I suggest including the Orbx freeware products as well (Global airports, AI traffic, etc..).

Respectfully,

Matt

A simple rule which works is if installing Orbx scenery for a country  eg '' England'' , '' New zealand South'' or a large area such as '' Pacific Fjiords'' set FTX configurator to 'default' or 'Global' (thinking of Global as the new 'Default' ) depending on which you have.  For Orbx Aerodrome scenery simply select the country or area into which the aerodrome will be placed eg Ketchikan goes into North America set in the FTX configurator. The order of installation of countries and large areas does not matter, but to install an aerodrome just ensure the country or large area into which it resides is first installed before the aerodrome. Global can be installed any order, but Vector goes in after Global. Works for me.

A simple rule which works is if installing Orbx scenery for a country  eg '' England'' , '' New zealand South'' or a large area such as '' Pacific Fjiords'' set FTX configurator to 'default' or 'Global' (thinking of Global as the new 'Default' ) depending on which you have.  For Orbx Aerodrome scenery simply select the country or area into which the aerodrome will be placed eg Ketchikan goes into North America set in the FTX configurator. The order of installation of countries and large areas does not matter, but to install an aerodrome just ensure the country or large area into which it resides is first installed before the aerodrome. Global can be installed any order, but Vector goes in after Global. Works for me.

The issue isn't how to install Orbx scenery.

Take your post, for example. A new customer must search these forums to find your tutorial on installing scenery. But yours may show up on page 2 of the results page, after 25 other members who explained the same thing, 25 different ways.

Official, up-to-date tutorials on installation and maintenance are important. Make it part of the workflow - update the page when you upload the product. Done and done. It's also a bonus that the forum stays a bit cleaner.

I'm not complaining. We all figure it out somehow. I did. You did. Your 9 year old nephew probably could too. Perhaps we enjoy the scenery just a little bit more because installation can be difficult. A reward for hard work, I suppose.   :unsure: 

The issue isn't how to install Orbx scenery.

Take your post, for example. A new customer must search these forums to find your tutorial on installing scenery. But yours may show up on page 2 of the results page, after 25 other members who explained the same thing, 25 different ways.

Official, up-to-date tutorials on installation and maintenance are important. Make it part of the workflow - update the page when you upload the product. Done and done. It's also a bonus that the forum stays a bit cleaner.

I'm not complaining. We all figure it out somehow. I did. You did. Your 9 year old nephew probably could too. Perhaps we enjoy the scenery just a little bit more because installation can be difficult. A reward for hard work, I suppose.   :unsure: 

The forum data base is becoming so large that detailed searches on almost any topic are problematic, newbie or not. Help would be very much appreciated

I keep forgetting that Im a "veteran" when it comes to installing Orbx scenery and might expect to much from others that they know things I have learned along time ago, so It maybe a good idea afterall ::) . I have seen such questions been asked many times and you guys are probably right. So I vote for such info pinned in the forum too 8) .

I hate bumping older threads, but I'd like a P3Dv2 updated version of this, even though it's probably simple, like 1.) install p3d 2.) install ftx global 3.) install ftx vector, since as far as I know, that's all there is for p3d2 right now.  Maybe Australia, but as I bought downloads of the individual regions, I can't do those yet.

Either way, an update is probably in order.

Thanks!

-stefan

It will get a makeover with a more generic feel.

We just need to make sure it is specific enough not to spawn a whole heap of questions/support topics

Something handy might be along the lines of "I installed in this order and then I bought a product that should have been installed earlier in the order, according to the list - now what?"  Or even, "I installed everything randomly and willy-nilly because I didn't know this topic existed.  Now what?"  

And, maybe even, "I didn't set the region to the proper region before applying a patch.  Now what?"

-stefan

• 4 months later...

+1 I just installed the newest offerings with no problems and then realized that I had not changed to NA from Global and did a quick search to check.  In the past, there was a note in the file or the installation wrapped changed Central to what was needed...neither was included and a search for installation help was problematic.  For a newbie this could be frustrating if not a deal breaker. Happy Flying,

Henry

Archived