Wish: Ability to remove frozen lakes!

Guenseli

As nice at it is at the first glance, I would like to have the ability to remove the frozen lakes.

One reason is, that mostly, lakes, especially larger lakes and rivers are not frozen here in germany.

Second reason is, that the ice pattern is really ugly.

Hope you could implement a switch where one can enable/disable it as we like it.

many thanks!

What you can see @Geneva (as well as Bodensee) is a bug that will be fixed.

What we will do is manually exclude certain lakes and river from this feature, if they usually don't freeze in reality. We will, however, need user feedback to do that, because there's no way that we know every non-freezing water on the globe :).

When you say we should change the way the ice looks: do you mean the ice texture in general or do you mean the bug at Lake Geneva?

Bernd

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

What you can see @Geneva (as well as Bodensee) is a bug that will be fixed.

What we will do is manually exclude certain lakes and river from this feature, if they usually don't freeze in reality. We will, however, need user feedback to do that, because there's no way that we know every non-freezing water on the globe :).

When you say we should change the way the ice looks: do you mean the ice texture in general or do you mean the bug at Lake Geneva?

Bernd

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

Bernd, am I correct, that during winter time every river/lake is currently frozen with FTXVector?

If so, then I think it is mandatory to introduce a tool allowing to switch it on or off.

Permanently frozen rivers/lakes will work for Alaska, Canada, Northern Europe (Scandinavia) and parts of Russia (Siberia), but definitely not for most parts of Europe. Only very small waters tend to freeze completety and only during strong winters (which are more and more very rare).

JM2C

Bernd, am I correct, that during winter time every river/lake is currently frozen with FTXVector?

If so, then I think it is mandatory to introduce a tool allowing to switch it on or off.

Permanently frozen rivers/lakes will work for Alaska, Canada, Northern Europe (Scandinavia) and parts of Russia (Siberia), but definitely not for most parts of Europe. Only very small waters tend to freeze completety and only during strong winters (which are more and more very rare).

JM2C

No, we have used a global surface temperature data source to determine areas where water masses are frozen in winter.

Bernd

@ Bernd

thanks for feedback.

I also highly recommend a switch as you can count days with frozen lakes in Germany on about two hands. Especially rivers.

No I mean the texture itself.

If you have slightly bigger lakes or rivers, there is an ugly pattern.

I know, it is difficult to avoid patterns, but maybe you have the chance to correct it.

Thank you. Is there a way to stop water from freezing based on the latitude?

Ciao

JM2C

I agree. Exclude it for Central Europe completely. Handle Skandinavia and Russia based on the feedback from customers located and flying there.

Frozen or not frozen ... Is it the intention to have some frozen squares beside free water or is that a kind of bug?

I have noted in another thread, mentioning Lausanne, that the "square ice" issue crops up there as well.

There is also a straight-line cutoff point flying around Manhattan in winter where the ice goes from frozen to unfrozen.

I am not familiar with the tech needed to iron these sorts of issues out, but it looks like any larger bodies of frozen water end up with simple polygonal shapes ("squares") representing frozen sections, with a reduction in realism.

Either that or this is the winter equivalent of crop circles. :)

I'm sure it'll be sorted out, just adding info.

Steve

No, we have used a global surface temperature data source to determine areas where water masses are frozen in winter.

Bernd

Thank you. Is there a way to stop water from freezing based on the latitude?

Ciao

Andy, I think Bernd has already answered your question (see the quoted post above yours). Temperature is much more accurate than latitude.

Archived