Question For Jay Kae - About New IE11 for W7

Jethro VH-JET

Hi Jay,

Today I received an Important Update in Windows Updates for the new MS IE browser (Internet Explorer 11) for Windows 7. 

Before I go ahead and install it I would really appreciate and value what you have to say about the new browser.

I would like to ask if you have any insights about functionality and any possible bugginess with regard to FTX Central as was the case with IE9. Also can you tell me of any problems with the IE11 you have noticed with regard to viewing and posting in the ORBX forums. Also is the inbuilt Download manager any better.

I am currently using IE10 and have only noticed one bug when downloading FTX updates from fullterrain support page, where upon selecting an update for download, the page goes black, but reappears if I click again near the scrollbar, this isn't a biggie but if that was one of the fixes MS has made for IE11 that would great.

Otherwise its Firefox Chrome or Safari.

Cheers Jeff

The one word Jay is thinking is NO , IE is in essence rubbish and always has been IMHO.  Use Chrome or FireFox  Firefox has  IE Tab Plugin which makes those poxy Web Sites that simply must have IE work fine in FF, I have not struck any issues with Chrome in this regard but thats Browser's for you. . 

Well it appears that now I have no choice, posted my question to Jay 5.26pm got a response, sort of kinda!!, went for dinner hoping for a genuine answer to my question. Came back about 9.00pm and my PC had restarted IE11 is now installed regardless of my wishes, with no input from me. Can't believe MS would be able to force an update without user input.

So I Now have it inspite of my reservations.   As far as the other browsers Firefox Chrome Safari they are only used as backup, because other users on my PC prefer Internet explorer, I also use it as Primary, I just thought asking an expert in the field would be prudent given that sometimes IE is  less than perfect.

Cheers Jeff

If IE is installed without my consent I will remove it forthwith or make every effort to disable it. I have seen and ignored the appeals to install it... I am a Firefox user for as long as I can remember (which is not very long as I am an old guy and my memory sucks) Teecee.

Came back about 9.00pm and my PC had restarted IE11 is now installed regardless of my wishes, with no input from me. Can't believe MS would be able to force an update without user input.

They've been doing that for a while now, IE10 came to you as an automatic update as well.  They fed me 11 earlier this morning, haven't seen any differences yet.

I've been using IE for over 20 years, since Windows 3.0, I've never had any issues with it.  I've even tried other browsers, and have always returned to IE.

I agree on this. Has always worked for me but most of my friends do you Firefox or Chrome.......

You can prevent it updating through your windows update settings but it's done for security reasons so you probably shouldn't. When a windows vulnerability is found Microsoft releases a patch to fix it which is usually installed through an automatic windows update, I'd love to hear the screams if they didn't do this and credit card numbers started going a miss, yet when it's the browser people are insulted.

If the IE haters had any idea on the data Google is acquiring on users and then aggressively using to market products directly or via other companies to that user they'd be going back to IE 5.5 pretty quick me thinks.

Google's not in the market of providing free stuff, there is a commercial objective, provide you with a free platform, learn everything about you, sell you stuff.

(FYI - all other browsers update silently).

Ta, CptMatt

My uncertainty installing IE11, as was the the case with IE10, waiting a few weeks before choosing to install is never a bad thing, asking an expert for comment is also a good idea. After the error reports of early adopters come in and fixes begin to appear I am more at ease, but one thing I will not do is take MS at face value. I had planned to 'Hide' the update until ready but I guess now that point is mute.

I am not an IE hater per se but I do like to be sure, I have not the time or persistence to sort out little issues that arise for the benefit of other users who access my PC.

I Totally agree with your comments about google, nothing is for nothing these days, the free browser is an easier access point for them to market and data mine, but I guess they can get it other ways if they want just not as straight forward through Googletoolbar in IE, or having a gmail/youtube account.

My IE11 experience so far no complaints nothing irregular, actually as far as Win 7 is concerned there are no apparent GUI alterations, its all under the hood so to speak.  

Cheers Jeff 

I made the mistake of loading IE11 - thank goodness for System Restore.

Several sites I use stopped functioning in the manner expected. I didn't look into IE11 further to find out what, if any, benefits exist.

Next step is to choose between Firefox and Chrome (or any other recommended browser).

Nothing Oblivious nor funny about it,  It is disconcerting how many persons blithely use only MS and arenot prepared to experiment and find what works and suits them.  I simply removed it because of many updates that get installed automatically and with put permission, If you want software to control your PC management instead of yourself, then that is fine . I use 4 different browser's for various reasons.

Not the least of which is security.

...... I use 4 different browser's for various reasons.

Well, let people use what they like and feel good with. I use Firefox and Waterfox but never would like to have Chrome on my PC. I don't trust Google but it's my own idea and I never would talk anybody into something.

Spirit

PS: IE 10 is also on my system but I rarely use it. IE 11 doesn't work with Windows 8.

Now here's the first big issue with IE11, right here trying to quote my own thread, even trying to copy/paste some text, neither the quoted post or the copied text is visible in the editing pane. This is not good at all uninstalling IE11 immediately.......  thanks very much Microsoft another fine mess. I will now give Internet Explorer the Maurice King treatment. Should have removed the update and trusted my gut instinct. 

Cheers Jeff

Hi to all

Just proving a point to myself really, Uninstalled IE11 update, now testing IE10 for functionality with forum edit pane, I can see quoted posts and cut/paste text once again. So there definitely are some woeful bugs in IE11 afterall.

My advice if you must use Internet Explorer, stick with IE10.

Cheers Jeff

Now here's the first big issue with IE11, right here trying to quote my own thread, even trying to copy/paste some text, neither the quoted post or the copied text is visible in the editing pane. This is not good at all uninstalling IE11 immediately.......  thanks very much Microsoft another fine mess. I will now give Internet Explorer the Maurice King treatment. Should have removed the update and trusted my gut instinct. 

Cheers Jeff

Nothing Oblivious nor funny about it,  It is disconcerting how many persons blithely use only MS and arenot prepared to experiment and find what works and suits them.  I simply removed it because of many updates that get installed automatically and with put permission, If you want software to control your PC management instead of yourself, then that is fine . I use 4 different browser's for various reasons.

Not the least of which is security.

You are right - MS is trying to control your PC-menagement.

Google(chrome)is controlling the user instead.

Archived