OpenLC demo -- Tallinn coverage?

Ripcord

John,

OK this is a tale of two cities here -- one you guys really nailed and one I think you guys didn't really focus on.  Just making some observations as I was kinda fixated on this for awhile....

I have been two of the three Baltic capitals, Riga and Tallinn.  I think you guys did a helluva job with the new LC for Riga, you can really see the difference.  So I went to check out Tallinn and well, I saw some difference but it still wasn't quite right (better in any case).  Figured maybe I had the settings for FTX Global wrong, so messed with it a bit and tried it a few more times -- and it just kept coming up lacking.  I couldn't get my bearings from the air.  The middle of the city looked pretty good but the coastlines looked bare, in particuarly right where the main harbor should be.  Starting thinking maybe the shorline vectors I am using there are really off (also plausible).

pilt_229.jpg

OK I get that this is not a FTX full fat region, but still we are talking about the closest thing to a major city here, with a real working waterfront.  There is a LC for that, I know. 

And again, a lot of the city looks like Tallinn -- if you looked at this map below, you guy pretty much nailed it on the yellow, green and 2/3 of the red area.  Blue area kinda not sure, and purple area is like forest or farmland.  Again some decent shoreline vector improvements would go a long way here.

tallinn.jpg

All this time I was thinking something else I had installed was causing this.

Only tonight did I find what I really think is my problem -- your OpenLC adjustments didn't cover the whole city!  For whatever reason, the coastlines were left as is....

iGqoL.png

So no worries, it's all good.  Clearly it was by design.

We realize this was just a demo to show the effect of the new land classifications, and the demo was largely aimed at Riga -- just going by big red dot here.  And looking at the coverage map now, I can see that much of the coast was left 'unadjusted' by the ORBX LC fixer.  So I would say it is safe to assume that not all the areas were intended to be covered, and therefore it is not a shortcoming of the OpenLC product.  And I think we can also see from this that it is in fact this well-advertised "Riga effect" that will be representative of the end result when ORBX starts releasing Open LC packs for other parts of Europe.

Curiosity is killing me so I have to ask -- what then about the Baltic Countries, coastal areas in particular?  Are they pretty much done now, or will we get a 'payware version' of these three countries -- something that has a more complete LC for Tallinn (bringing it to the same standard that you have set for Riga)?  Or is there some kind of UTX Europe or something on the way that we are not aware of yet?  Or a full on ORBX FTX region here?  I'd have to think that would be pretty far off down the road - probably not high on your priority list, I'm guessing.

Obviously these coastlines were left untouched not by accident.  So not trying to needlessly find fault, but interested and curious to hear if there is something else in the works here.

What have you got lurking about along those Baltic shores John?

As far as I know, neither the current FTX Global nor the upcoming landclass packs will do anything with the coastlines. Coastlines are vector data and John has made it quite clear on several occasions that FTX Global will leave vector data untouched. It will only replace textures and landclass. If you`re looking for accurate coastlines, you`d need something like Ultimate Terrain X, but I don`t know if any of their products cover the baltic states. Maybe someday there`ll be a full FTX Region for the Baltic states, then you`ll have accurate coastlines as well.

Regards,

Fabian

As far as I know, neither the current FTX Global nor the upcoming landclass packs will do anything with the coastlines. Coastlines are vector data and John has made it quite clear on several occasions that FTX Global will leave vector data untouched. It will only replace textures and landclass. If you`re looking for accurate coastlines, you`d need something like Ultimate Terrain X, but I don`t know if any of their products cover the baltic states. Maybe someday there`ll be a full FTX Region for the Baltic states, then you`ll have accurate coastlines as well.

Regards,

Fabian

OK then that is the answer -- somehow I had missed that.  I knew that he had make it clear about vector data but I guess I equated that with roads in my head, and didn't connect coastlines to that.  So now I get it.

EDIT:  There is a thing called Estonia Map X which is basically (surprise)  vector scenery package covering all of Estonia -- it also changes the LC.  So I will place it below FTX Open LC in my scenery folder and see what it does.

http://www.jkelloggs.dk/node/600

Stand by for a report back.

just for informational purposes ;)

fsX

est_fsX_default_003.jpg

fsX+FTXGlobal

est_FTXG_001.jpg

fsX+FTXGlobal+Estonia Map X 1.0

est_FTXG_estLC_002.jpg

just to make sure we all speak the same language, FTX Global does NOT alter Vector data, it only replaces the textures and has a small demo LC for one of the Baltic states, and improved LandClass for part of the SE Asian area.

.......  :ph34r:

Wolter,

can you confirm exactly where in the scenery library add-ons like this Estonia Map X and the Japanese LC add-on which you have should sit? I should also say that I have UTX for Europe and SceneryTech for Asia installed. (and of course FTX Global!!)

Thanks for clearing up my confusion

Jack

OK, thanks Wolter - I'll give that a try. Keen to try out that Japanese one, but had a look at the readme and it's of course all in gobblydegook, so may have to give that a miss - seem to be some references to UT in there, but not sure.

Thanks

Jack

Shaun that is what I thought would happen.  Just isn't working for me -- something in that Estonia Map X is overriding the OpenLC and frankly it looks like hell.  Might be some photoreal crap in there -- experiementing with removing some files now.

OK I got it sorted now I think

For Estonia Map X, you need to remove almost half the files.  Take out all that refer to 'landclass' in the file name.  And also remove all that refer to POLY_MOD.  Leave all that refer to WATER and LINES.

Also as an added bonus I installed EETN - Tallinn, Estonia v2.5

by Stas Nezmanov

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=178199&CatID=fsxscen

Again here there is a file to remove -- take out 1T.bgl but keep 1X.bgl, particularly if using with FTX Global.

I found that worked best for me.

Now I have the landclass from FTX GLobal and the coastlines and road vectors from thsi Estonia Map X project.

Still we need a good talentist artist to do a proper waterfront/harbor for this fine city, but that is something that can be added later.

Hi Ripcord,

I've got 12 LC files and 68 POLY files moved out ;)

a little comparison then again

fsX
est_fsX_default_003.jpg

fsX+FTXGlobal
est_FTXG_001.jpg

fsX+FTXGlobal+Estonia Map X 1.0
est_FTXG_estLC_002.jpg

fsX+FTXGlobal+MODIFIED Estonia Map X 1.0
est_FTXG_estLC_mod_004.jpg

I did try the airport you mentioned, but disabled it again as it also places a number of items all over town and they look a wee bit fs98 imho

.........  :ph34r:

I did try the airport you mentioned, but disabled it again as it also places a number of items all over town and they look a wee bit fs98 imho

.........  :ph34r:

Yes a few of the buidings do look a bit rough, I agree.  But it added the catherdral and I thought the airport itself was a damn sight better.

• 4 months later...

I have been waiting since summer to dig up this old thread. Remember this discussion?

Vector is what was missing, not landclass data. Take a look at Tallinn now with Vector installed.

Note the inner harbor is clearly visible now --

s3T0F.png

And even from this shot at a distance you can see the port/naval base on the right, and make out the railway lines running into the port.

YzIbf.png

Now that is what I'm talking about!

Archived