Feedback - too much green in the desert

malibu43

FTX Global looks great in a lot of places, but I noticed I'm seeing a lot of green now in places that should be desert.  Here are a couple shots of the Grand Canyon to illustrate my point.  The first one is with FSX landclass, and the second one is with Scenery Tech NA added.

2013-7-27_15-52-25-979_zps7b8e8810.png

2013-7-27_15-54-49-510_zps9c47ceb6.png

In either case, there are some green "grassy" looking textures showing up.  I can't remember what exactly those looked like with regular FSX, but I don't think they looked that green.

St George Utah is another place where this issue with too much green can be seen.

edit - as I look at my images, I realize I didn't get much of the green in my second screenshot, but trust me - there was more.  It's just out of the frame.

FTX Global looks great in a lot of places, but I noticed I'm seeing a lot of green now in places that should be desert.  Here are a couple shots of the Grand Canyon to illustrate my point.  The first one is with FSX landclass, and the second one is with Scenery Tech NA added.

2013-7-27_15-52-25-979_zps7b8e8810.png

2013-7-27_15-54-49-510_zps9c47ceb6.png

In either case, there are some green "grassy" looking textures showing up.  I can't remember what exactly those looked like with regular FSX, but I don't think they looked that green.

St George Utah is another place where this issue with too much green can be seen.

edit - as I look at my images, I realize I didn't get much of the green in my second screenshot, but trust me - there was more.  It's just out of the frame.

Thanks man! I thought I was going crazy - this is what I see as well, and posted about it in the General forum (probably a mistake) - this is my screencap just north of KGCN:

2013727_121547442-vi.jpg

This is disappointing, and was hoping it was a "bug" as opposed to something OpenLC will have to fix.  FTX-Global and base FSX LC's seem to be a poor mix in  "desert/dry/arid" areas.

Orbx - FTX: Global

Order Number: FSS0222547

Order Date: 2013-07-27

For reference, this is my post on this in the General Forum:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/61889-openlc-corrections-of-base-ftxg-american-westsouthwestcolorado/

Same phenomenon can be seen elsewhere too, this one is form near kabul, picture showing part of my photoreal scenery project for the city vs FTX Global textures surrounding it. Seems like many areas that are quite dry but not total extreme desert like Sahara have this problem. 

1zx5uh4.png

Same in Palm Desert, CA area.  Also, several mis-matched textures (buildings across roads,  buildings in the middle of golf course, etc.).  But, given the scale of the project, it seems ok for the most part.  Still evaluating the value.......

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed it. Hopefully since it's so widespread there will be some global fix vs OpenLC addons.

I don't know what landclasses use that texture, but maybe it's as simple as making it a little more golden-yellow and less green. Just an amature guess...

So, I switched back momentarily to FSX default, and while this scenery won't win any awards, at least the color palate looks closer to the real world:

2013727_214626577-vi.jpg

versus

2013727_121547442-vi.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I am on board with FTX-G and waiting to see how it all turns out - just was taken back a bit that desert/dry/arid areas are getting the "green treatment"

Chris B. aka "Flapsdown"

There seems to be alot of people, including myself, who have the same issue.  I loaded up Las Vegas (KLAS) after reading some of these concerns and found that I also see the same exact result.  I don't normally fly in the desert regions, so it isn't a huge deal for me at the moment...but I do hope this issue can be remedied soon as it does affect alot of people who do fly in those areas.  I trust Orbx will fix this in the near future.

Apparently, it might be due to landclass--according to JV in another thread, same topic.

K

This does indeed seem to be the case, but I think that perhaps others (myself included), were just a bit surprised that the textures being driven by the default FSX land class configuration would be altered so drastically from the FSX textures palate, and that it would have such far reaching effects in other areas. I am looking forward to seeing how OpenLC will help bring these areas back into line...

Chris B.

Are people with UTX having the same issue?? I have UTX USA installed, and flying west out of Roswell, NM earlier today looked quite realistic with no green areas until reaching the high mountains of around 6,000 ft.

John

I am so disgusted by this issue, I thought ORBX was better than this, i'm not buying ANYTHING from you guys every again! And i'll make sure to write all the bad reviews that I can about you guys.

What kind of job is this FOR $91? ???! ????

Can I get a refund? Because this is outrageous. 

I am so disgusted by this issue, I thought ORBX was better than this, i'm not buying ANYTHING from you guys every again! And i'll make sure to write all the bad reviews that I can about you guys.

Seriously Newbie, you need to actually read the other forum posts on this issue, such as http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/61992-green-grand-canyon/ , which have legitimate explanatations for this before you spit the dummy. Yours would be one of the most childish posts I've ever seen on this forum. Do your research first, then comment, if you need to champ.

What's all that fuss? Why doen't you calm down and try to discuss your problems here in the forum like adults are doing this.

Maybe your approach to FTX Global was wrong and your expectations too high? You may see in FTX Global something what it didn't pretend to be.

So let's be mature and stay calm

Spirit

I am so disgusted  to read comments of such nonsense

Believe me you have much more serious problems than  of the greenish desert  ....

Do us a favor.... banned from yourself !!

... and  give us a refund  for your presence... You are outrageous !

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would be this angry over such an issue. According to your signature, you have only purchased this one product. You can't judge a company based on this initial release of just ONE product. It is my experience that ORBX will get to the bottom of any problems and find a way of correcting them.

You say you're "disgusted by this issue". Is this your only concern? Have you flown, and looked around other areas? There's no way you could've flown the whole world yet, it hasn't been out long enough. Are you (and others) comparing FTX Global with the real world, expecting it to be perfect, with everything in it's right place? Look at this for what it is, an enhancement to the DEFAULT FSX. Similar, but not the same as other products like UTX, GEX, FEX and REX. None of which really recreate the real world, but try to make FSX more realistic.

I'm not an ORBX groupie by any means, but I know what I like to see when I look out the cockpit window. Global isn't as all singing and all dancing as their dedicated regions and airports, and it's not supposed to be, but it's certainly a far cry from the default FSX. So far I've looked at areas like India, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, France, Germany and Sweden to name but a few. And compared to default FSX, these areas have been much improved. Sure, there may be some issues I've noticed, but nothing worth even mentioning, let alone ranting about. Overall, this product is an excellent upgrade to the default FSX. If you want perfection, you better find the solution to immortality, because nothing is "perfect" in this world.

I think you need to seriously grow up, and look at things for what they are.

What you should understand is that with default FSX textures there's no perfect solution as for some stupid reason same textures are being used in areas with very different textures by default and non FTX Global made addon landclasses too.

You either have too much green in some dry areas or too dry looking terrain in green areas. As green areas cover way more area than these certain dry ones (and FTX Global doesn't have problem with actual deserts like Sahara, they look just fine) it's obviously better to have too much green in some semi dry areas than some of the green areas looking dry and dead like with default FSX and certain other texture replacement programs. 

ORBX has done their best with this texture replacement product and they have made flying in majority of the world way better than it was before. Now FTX Global compatible OpenLC packs will be what are going to offer even more variation and also fix these green textures in dry areas by replacing them with custom textures that fit the areas better. 

Well, the troll wins again guys. You don't need to all reply to him. It means that everything has now gone off topic and even ORBX CEO didn't answer the OP question! :P. Let's keep our heads here gentlemen, obviously a child we're dealing with.

The good news gents, is that those of us who are with ORBX for the long haul (I count myself as one) will find or use workarounds for this one issue-- it's really the only non-optimum aspect of FTXG I've seen, except for the crappy DEFAULT FSX landclass--but even that will gradually get better (note I'm not saying perfect here, because that is unrealistic) with the OpenLC regional releases.

Kent

P.S. Guess I'm just an "ORBX Groupie" at heart....

So, I switched back momentarily to FSX default, and while this scenery won't win any awards, at least the color palate looks closer to the real world:

*image*

versus

*image*

Don't get me wrong, I am on board with FTX-G and waiting to see how it all turns out - just was taken back a bit that desert/dry/arid areas are getting the "green treatment"

Chris B. aka "Flapsdown"

How did you revert to the default textures? I tried it as well, but reinstalling GEX or the backup I made with GEX doesn't change anything.

I actually like how FTXG has redone the American SouthWest given the fact that the FSX defaults were so horrible.  Wait for the ORBX LC packs before you make a judgement.

Regards

jja

How did you revert to the default textures? I tried it as well, but reinstalling GEX or the backup I made with GEX doesn't change anything.

I have been switching back and forth by keeping 2 "Texture" folders in "Scenery\World"

One named Texture.fsx, one named Texture.ftxg , then just renaming the one I want to use by removing the file suffix before starting FSX

Of course, this assumes you made the backup of your texture files when promted by FTX-G, and you have the room on your hard-drive to keep both sets handy.

Archived