"If you buy it, you own it": Sony CEO Andrew House tells all about PlayStation 4

domfliss

I was thinking of getting an xbox to mainly stream HD content from the net but after all their crap they are doing with the new xbox i dont think i will bother and go for a playstation.

The thing that really got me was no more than 24 hours play time with no net access.. that cant be legal.. at least in the UK i hope its not be as the console wont be fit for purpose after 24 hours..

Sorry microsoft you have lost a customer..

I wont buy the new xbox due to the restrictive practice that is being put in place.

I wont buy Windows 8 due to usb controller issues and other issues.

I wont buy the Microsoft tablet as its built to win and priced to fail.

Sorry Microsoft you are forcing me to look else where for my tech stuff.

Whilst I only use the PS3 occasionally, it is mind blowing on a 60" 3D LCD. I can't imagine how good the PS4 will be. If they make the PS3 stuff compatible on the PS4, I'll have one, even at 550.

You can't put a price on your leisure.....hahaha

Oh, and I totally agree, Microsoft have been spiralling for a while. I am removing the last instance of Win 8 from my home PC's this weekend. Biggest mistake I and Microsoft ever made....poison!

Frank

I used to be into all the gaming consoles, but they go obsolete faster than PC's, and you can't just replace the processor.  My favorite was the Sega Dreamcast.

Dreamcast had some pretty good games Bruce.  What was your favourite?

Technology seems to go out of date quicker now than it did of years gone by; mainly because it seems to progress and evolve at a faster rate than before.  Also individuals seem to expect more.  

Mind you; the world is a very different place to thirty, or even twenty years ago.

I remember my NES lasting me for quite a few years.  

Now.....my dear old Spectrum 128 (toaster) lasted me over 6 years and I still have it now with 400+ games.  What a sad sod I am :P

When I got my first PC in 1992 everything changed.  SWOTL (Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe) and Monkey Island were just superb!!

Happy days and happy nights :D

Shame about the homework though :P

I find console tech moves too slow. The PS2 was out for 10yrs and the 3 has been out for too long! But GPUs get noticeably better every 2.

Ha the Dreamcast, I got my first ever net connection with that- I got a snazzy keyboard accessory. Bloody slow though.

Loved my SNES too, still have it tucked away. Next to my N64 and mint Game and Watch Donkey Kong still in the box..

Hee hee, I remember this

http://youtu.be/Zoh4MhBePRk

It was back in about 1978! It must have been the very first kind of PC game, followed of course by Space Invaders.

Hey Howard, I still remember how we all crowded around the tennis game in the pub to watch people play in utter amazment. Who would have thought !

Cheers, Rick

I used to be into all the gaming consoles, but they go obsolete faster than PC's, and you can't just replace the processor.  My favorite was the Sega Dreamcast.

This is a curious statement.  The XBox 360 was released on November 22nd 2005.  So by this fall it will have had 8 years of life.  The Playstation 3 by this fall will have had 7.  Both are pretty amazing for an electronic product.

A PC from 2005 today would have trouble running even productivity software.  It would most likely not have enough Ram to even run a 64 bit OS.

The massive cost of developing, marketing, manufacturing and supporting gaming consoles is actually a good thing for gamers.  It means that each console generation is probably going to get a bit longer.  

A new version of the XBox 360 came out last week and marks the fourth version of the system.

A big hurdle of keeping consoles updated was also software based.  Thanks to the internet both systems have seen numerous firmware updates.  The XBox 360 dashboard looks completely different from what it looked like in 2005.

When it was released it was simply a gaming console and over time with hardware updates Microsoft made it into a pretty decent multi media system thanks to Netflix, Zune etc etc

Sony did the same thing with the PS3

Sorry I am not trying to pick on you.  Just stating that both systems had an unusually long life span.  If you purchased either of them, you definitely got your moneys worth.  

But then again...video games are my primary hobby.  I spend far more on them than I have any right to.  

I will get a PS4 this fall and will get an XBox One eventually when it has a good bundle.

Last generation I got the 360 on day 1 and the PS3 about 16 months after release.  They were desperate to sell them and Amazon.com had a very nice deal where you bought the system, an extra controller, two games and 5 Blu Ray movies of your choice.  That was I think in February of 2008.  

This go around, Microsoft might get desperate to sell systems and offer me a deal I can't refuse.  

Dreamcast had some pretty good games Bruce.  What was your favourite?

I just had to pop my nose in and say "Power Stone"! :D

This is a curious statement.  The XBox 360 was released on November 22nd 2005.  So by this fall it will have had 8 years of life.  The Playstation 3 by this fall will have had 7.  Both are pretty amazing for an electronic product.

A PC from 2005 today would have trouble running even productivity software.  It would most likely not have enough Ram to even run a 64 bit OS.

The massive cost of developing, marketing, manufacturing and supporting gaming consoles is actually a good thing for gamers.  It means that each console generation is probably going to get a bit longer.  

A new version of the XBox 360 came out last week and marks the fourth version of the system.

A big hurdle of keeping consoles updated was also software based.  Thanks to the internet both systems have seen numerous firmware updates.  The XBox 360 dashboard looks completely different from what it looked like in 2005.

When it was released it was simply a gaming console and over time with hardware updates Microsoft made it into a pretty decent multi media system thanks to Netflix, Zune etc etc

Sony did the same thing with the PS3

Sorry I am not trying to pick on you.  Just stating that both systems had an unusually long life span.  If you purchased either of them, you definitely got your moneys worth.  

But then again...video games are my primary hobby.  I spend far more on them than I have any right to.  

I will get a PS4 this fall and will get an XBox One eventually when it has a good bundle.

Last generation I got the 360 on day 1 and the PS3 about 16 months after release.  They were desperate to sell them and Amazon.com had a very nice deal where you bought the system, an extra controller, two games and 5 Blu Ray movies of your choice.  That was I think in February of 2008.  

This go around, Microsoft might get desperate to sell systems and offer me a deal I can't refuse.  

I have to agree! The main reason why I enjoy consoles a lot more recently is because they actually have a _longer_ life span.

Happy belated birthday!  I plan to hit 60 in the most undignified way possible.  Mostly likely with a beer bong and a severe dose of alcohol poisoning :lol:

:lol:  I thought the same... until the time arrived, then I just wanted the day to go as fast as it arrived!

Great quote from OSnews.com regarding the matter:

Currently steam is one option of many that you can use for your PC. There's not yet a steam console that's 100% locked into steam which possibly would require a similar policy to what xbone's was. 

The whole issue with xbone was that MS wanted you to spend a ton of money to exclusively lock you into their abuses. 

With steam: don't install it and your computer will still work. steam doesn't own your computer. with xbone: don't plug it in and it's a doorstop. MS owns it, not you. Well i guess things have changed. 

I do find that steam is a very good way to purchase and manage older games that occasionally go on firesale. 

With xbone: the damage is done. they tried to pull a fast one and got caught, then they recant. That's how criminals act, not companies wanting you as a customer.

Good point and totally agree.

By the way; OSnews is a great site for tech news.  It's one of my usual stops just before the Orbx forums.

Microsoft has done a complete U-turn on its nasty policys with pre owned games and the 24 hour limit playing games in off line mode.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973

Probably the first time in the company history they have listened to the customers..

Great news! They just need to lower the price a little and we're cookin'. :D

At this point the only reason that I would consider the new Xbox is that I am a Forza Motorsport addict and Forza 5 will be a big draw for me.  But before their attitude change I would have passed even if it meant giving up on Forza.

We do have both a PS3 and an XBox...  but we got the PS3 long before the XBox because of the Blu-Ray player and the HD resolution (in fact, we don't own a separate blu-ray player, we just use the PS3 - since it also decodes HD audio from the Blu-Ray and outputs as a multi-channel signal).  Sony seems to do a much better job of understanding and delivering customer value.

MS is in danger of finally destroying their dominant market presence with what they have been doing with Windows 8, the new XBox and Office 360...

I hardly thing M$ changed in mid-stream and actually listened to its customers on their latest debacle with XBox.   :wub:   IMHO it was all 'bottom line' when faced with Sony's announcements. ???   Of course they realized from all the hoopla it would make for a poor sales history for XBox so out of the goodness of their wallet they decided to back off on the stupid policy first announced. :banghead:

:lol:

Archived