Alpha 160 NZ Road Trip (2)

jpreou

Continuing my 'road trip' in the Waikato Aero Club Alpha 160. Apologies for the ATC window. I honestly don't even notice it is there most of the time!

Yesterday I stayed overnight at the WAC lodge on Barrier Island, and today it was time for the long trek back over water to the mainland.

Today's trip took me briefly on an overfly of Okiwi Station (NZOX) because I was curious to see it before leavin Great Barrier.

I then headed more or less East to the mainland; not the shortest way, but it otherwise meant heading South when I was actually going North, so seemed a reasonable compromise and I had NZ Center on VFR flight following for the over water leg, just in case! On the way to the mainland I passed Little Barrier Island on my left, making sure I stayed well out of the restricted zone around it (nature reserve, I think).

I stayed out of controlled airspace as I approached the mainland, put the little town on Waipu on my left side and tracked up the coast to Whanagrei (NZWR). I landed but only stayed long enough to stretch my legs and, um, offload some used liquid refreshments! I was heading to Kerikeri.

...and so for the photo tour...

Waiting at the threshold of 24 for another plane to land before leaving Great Barrier (NZGB)

001wqd.jpg

Overflight of Okiwi Station (NZOX)

002azf.jpg

Passing Little Barrier Island

003hq.jpg

That's Little Barrier, and behind if Great Barrier, way back in the distance to the right of the plane.

004oqv.jpg

The little town of Waipu

005lhw.jpg

About 10 miles out of Whangarei, roughly to the SE.

006hpo.jpg

Joining base for Whangarei (NZWR)

007dex.jpg

On finals at Whangarei (NZWR)

008awk.jpg

Overflying Whangarei township on the way out to Keri Keri (about 30nm or so away)

009aop.jpg

Just passing over someone's place!

010fe.jpg

Looking out towards the beautiful Bay of Islands with Kawakawa just under the nose.

011jc.jpg

On finals to Kerikeri

012ozs.jpg

...and we're down...

013kxx.jpg

...but to be honest, I'm wondering whether I feel comfortable leaving the plane here now!

014ro.jpg

Thanks for looking. Keep tuned for the next leg(s). I'll try to standardise the subject line so the series is easy to find.

Cheers

These are great captures here Jeff - and a very detailed narrative too!

... and the last picture is indeed "special" ;)

Actually, I think I might have skydived with that guy in the past :)

Archived