Between heaven and water

I think on ths flight maybe floats might be the better choice . Anyway great shot Mallard and I hope your prop keeps

a turning .

Brad

I think on ths flight maybe floats might be the better choice . Anyway great shot Mallard and I hope your prop keeps

a turning .

Brad

I mean Gerold , sorry for that . You boys from Germany keep us busy . Ha Ha .

Brad

Nice shot! Did you encounter any "automatic (engine) rough" on that flight :P ?

I noted the comments re being on floats. Believe me, from experience I can tell you that unless it's very calm (i.e. almost no swells), but not glassy, floats really don't help you much in those instances. I've taken off from Great Bear Lake, which is a whole lot smaller than any ocean, and almost trashed the airplane in swells I couldn't see because they were hidden by a light chop and the period of them was such that you really didn't feel them at normal taxi speeds. On floats I used to go around the edges of very large lakes because a landing in heavy seas in floats is likely to be just as catastrophic as on wheels, and maybe more so. This is one of the few areas where flying boats have it over floatplanes I'm afraid ??? .

The float-or-not-float discussion makes me smile. Thank you for this!

Just a short comment: With the OZx "Torres Strait Islands" package I thought there were enough airstrips around in case of emergency. Which was important, as there was no life west under my seat ... . But the Cessna did well and I made it to my destination  ::) .

Archived