Large land mass offshore of SAK

ba43

I have noticed a large landmass that is offshore and about 10 miles SW of Cape Spencer and it seems to start at the far NW corner of Tongass Fjords coverage area and where that point joins with SAK's southern edge of coverage. I'm clueless on what this might be caused by and would appreciate if I could get the Pacific Ocean back. I am not saying that SAK caused this but I don't remember noticing this before.

Landmass at far NE edge and looking South.

Posted Image

Top down view from far above.

Posted Image

Brad

Well, I don't know where to begin actually. I de-selected Western North America. Still showing land at sea. Deselected FSGenesis Alaska, still showing. ORBX FTX Entries are above Tongass Fjords. OZx NA is just above ORBX but that area's way down in PNW. I'm lost at sea with a big chunk of land out here.

HELP!! :-

Brad, here is a screenshot from my scenery library settings. I remember that I had texture problems in PNW+PFJ and that I found out that the addon from Terry was giving that problem. Than I moved "Terry's Addons" to the first insert point after Edwards_AFB and that was the clue. So I think that you have to look at your addons.

Peter

Posted Image

Hi Brad,

I seem to remember seeing this issue before somewhere but maybe I'm confusing it with a similar problem off the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State that was a bug in Ultimate Terrain USA. I had a look through our old Tongass X forums -- http://forums.fsaddo...aa4ac71a58dc675 -- but didn't see any similar reports.

Note that any add-on that includes either an "all-terrain" or "water" exclude poly, even if it is tiny, can affect large areas such as this. Since it is outside of both Tongass Fjords and SAK the offending add-on could be either below or above the FTX block of entries.

Actually, something else to check is whether you have a file named "cvx1111.bgl" in {FSX}"\Scenery\0101\scenery". It's the local default landscape file but has an issue with a long shoreline in open water near Juneau that cannot be excluded and thus some add-ons suggest removing or deactivating this file. Doing so, however, will lead to those offshore areas showing as land. Fortunately, we've found a work-around with SAK so there's no longer any need to keep that file deactivated.

Cheers, Holger

Brad:

This might be a long shot for you, but it fixed a very similar issue that I had. Assuming you have Tongass Fjords X installed as well as SAK, run a repair on Tongass Fjords (from the FSAddons menu for this product) and then order the sceneries as recommended above.

Once I did that repair, all's been perfect with both Tongass Fjords and my ORBX SAK and Pacific Fjords. Hope this helps.

Well I'm stumped. I did as suggested here. I've pretty much disabled and checked many different things in my scenery library. Did repairs on Tongass and Vancouver + but still seeing land out at sea here. Interesting thing was when I un-ticked Tongass in my scenery library to disable it, the land mass actually got bigger and crossed over into the Baranof Island area taking an even a larger chunk of water away. I confirmed also that I have the file you told me to look for Holger.

I've de-selected all UT addons as well.

Bummed. :'(

Well I'm stumped. I did as suggested here. I've pretty much disabled and checked many different things in my scenery library. Did repairs on Tongass and Vancouver + but still seeing land out at sea here. Interesting thing was when I un-ticked Tongass in my scenery library to disable it, the land mass actually got bigger and crossed over into the Baranof Island area taking an even a larger chunk of water away. I confirmed also that I have the file you told me to look for Holger.

I've de-selected all UT addons as well.

Bummed. :'(

Had same exact problem. Tried running a Tongass X repair and just got some weird error. So I set FTX central back to default, uninstalled Tongass, reinstalled Tongass, set FTX central back to North America, and now all is good in that part of the world.

Chris Strobel,

SAK

Order Number: FSS0206949

Well this is very frustrating. I did the last suggestion where I put FTX central to default, uninstall Tongass, re-install Tongass, FTX back to North America. Still no luck. I'm at a loss.

I'll keep trying to remove and re-order the scenery library but this is so odd. Last resort is to fly down low when I travel down that coast so I don't see the offending "Pangea" I guess.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I welcome any others.

Brad

Hi Brad,

what I mostly do to deal with these kind of issues is to disable all addon sceneries, don't forget to disable the addon scenery folder as well and the run a check of the offending area, if the issue is gone then re-enable the addon sceneries one by one ad re-check the area, at any given time the issue reappears and you'll know the culprit

Okay, Holger you're right on target of course. But I still have something weird going on here. I located the file and it's in /FSX/Scenery/0101/scenery as I saw it the other day when you first asked me to look for it. But for some reason and I failed to notice this, it's a shortcut? I must've messed with this file before because of the issue that was present near Juneau before where there was a long north/south line in the water and there was discussion on removing this exact file. See this past thread on the subject. And I do remember having this after installing UTX Alaska.

http://www.simforums...topic33184.html

So now my conundrum is how to change this file from a shortcut back to a .bgl file. I don't know how to do that and don't believe you even can. So, I need to get that file. Now my question is, if I install a second installation of FSX from my original software disc's to a temporary folder on my HD, then go get the original file and copy it over to my current working FSX program, that should restore the original file and hopefully solve my "Land at Sea" issue, but will it screw with the registry and cause other issues with my current working installation?

Brad

Okay, I guess I can't do that because it will cause registry issues. Yes, I researched and found it's not a recommended practice to have multiple installations of FSX due to registry issues it will create. Mathias Kok has some interesting workarounds but I'm not going to go that route. I need to find out how I can get that file back somehow.

Brad

:D SUCCESS!! I found the missing file I needed. I have restored it and I have my ocean back. Although there are still some weird ocean colors out there that seem unnatural. See these images.

But big thanks to you Holger for being right on the money with that cvx1111.bgl file. I hope this may help any other people out there who come across this. I'm a happy camper. Now to find a consistent ocean pallete. If one exists.

I have water, but see the lines of color that show in a straight pattern. If you look closely, there are three colors of ocean all meeting at one point. That's some pretty good formation swimming by plankton out there. :ph34r:

Straight line colors but hey, I got my water back at least.

Posted Image

Overhead view now showing different color patterns and straight lines.

Posted Image

Brad

Once again, many thanks to Holger, Wolter, Peter, Spud, Rudi and Chris. That's the reason why this community thrives because you help like that. Now time to go fly and stop typing out my issues, why? Because for now, I don't have any thanks to those guys!

Brad

Archived