Missing roads and can't turn off FTX Blue

Ozflyer

I have just purchased and installed FTX Blue. I have also downloaded and installed the Holger Mesh.

I run Vista with UAC off and had no problem installing, however when I try to turn off FTX I get an error message telling me that "access to terrain.cfg is denied" - BUT when I go there the file opens for me as I would expect with UAC off ??.

Also, I have road traffic motoring through fields and trees with no roads in sight. All the FTX scenery files are installed and ticked including "Roads"

???

• 3 weeks later...

I saw your post today and I'm sorry to hear no-one has responded, our apologies.

The 'Access denied' message is unusual. Are you running FSX while you try to turn FTX Mode off? If so, please exit FSX then give it a try.

If that does not work, you may need to explicitly give admin read/write permissions to the entire FSX root folder, to the user you log into Vista as.

I saw your post today and I'm sorry to hear no-one has responded, our apologies.

The 'Access denied' message is unusual. Are you running FSX while you try to turn FTX Mode off? If so, please exit FSX then give it a try.

If that does not work, you may need to explicitly give admin read/write permissions to the entire FSX root folder, to the user you log into Vista as.

Hi John...Back in August I had a problem with turning off FTX Mode in AU Blue.  You created two "bat" files for me (one "on" and one "off") to use to turn the FTX Mode on/off manually.  Can I use those on a permanent basis since I have my computer at 120 DPI?  You mentioned back then to create a shortcut to my desktop to use those bat files.  Thanks in advance.  See my order # in my sig.  Thanks!

Ted

Hi John...Back in August I had a problem with turning off FTX Mode in AU Blue.  You created two "bat" files for me (one "on" and one "off") to use to turn the FTX Mode on/off manually.  Can I use those on a permanent basis since I have my computer at 120 DPI?  You mentioned back then to create a shortcut to my desktop to use those bat files.  Thanks in advance.  See my order # in my sig.  Thanks!

Ted

Yes of course, that's what I created them for :)

Ted

Ha ha!  Cool!  Thanks!

Ted

Thanks for responding.

With FSX off it doesn't work, that is how I wish to use it.

I am logged in is Administrator on Vista and I have turned off UAC, I am the only user. I have not had any problems installing other software.

My main concern is the missing roads and bridges - everywhere. Also the buildings look squashed in the few areas I have tried.

I purchased FTX Blue on a DVD.

Hi Ozflyer,

I have to admit this has got me stumped. If you can't get access to terrain.cfg it implies a permissions problem. I need you to do some homework for me :)

1. Provide some screenshots of the problems you see, like flat buildings or misaligned roads/bridges

2. Ensure you have your autogen slider set to at least Normal. Even at normal, you won't see all buildings placed as 3D objects, which might explain the "flat" buildings

3. I need to know if you installed the ORBX products into the FSX root folder. Navigate to your \Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder and see if there is an ORBX folder there.

Get back to me with that information and we'll continue to investigate.

Two things I can see:

1. You don't have our custom terrain.cfg installed, therefore you won't see our roads

2. You don't appear to have any of our autogen objects activated, so you won't see buildings as they should appear.

What this tells me is that FTX Mode has simply failed on your PC.

Here's what I need you to do:

1. Copy this patch which forces the Orbx apps to run in Administrator mode: http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=5202.0

2. Follow the directions to copy them into the ORBX\Scripts folder

3. Now run FTX Mode - you should not get the 'terrain.cfg' access denied error.

4. Check to see if things look normal.

Please report back if this worked.

Ted

Hi John...The bat files work great.  Shows the FTX Mode to be on or off in that MS-Dos-type screen that appears.  Now, the FTX Mode button still shows a constant on condition.  I assume that I should just disregard that?  Also, can I use those bat files indefinitely?  I have them in my quick launch toolbar, and they work seemlessly.  Thanks in advance.

John,

Afraid that did not do anything.

I will now delete everything to do with FTX on my computer, ensure the dreaded Vista security is allowing me to install your software and try again.

Will let you know what happens.

Pat

Have reinstalled for 3rd time, still the same problems.

I tried it without and then with the tweak you suggested.

I ensured again I was logged as administrator and UAC was off.

Could it be anything to do with .net framework - I don't understand what it does and I don't know how to check it out.

OK I have attached a small installer which will copy two batch files which manually replicate the FTX mode application. You'll see two icons appear on your desktop, one for FTX Mode ON, one for FTX Mode OFF.

If those icons don't appear on your desktop (which often happens with Vista), then click on your Start menu | Orbx program group and select the two batch files from there.

Try doing an FTX Mode [ON] first and running FSX again and report back.

FTX_MODE_BATCH.zip

John,

No change, still same problems, the icons were on the desktop.

Reading the list of files when the icon was operated, it stated a number of files were "access denied" and not copied.

Seems that as you stated Vista is not allowing access to your software, despite my administrator status.

I have no idea how to improve access, any thoughts ?

Pat

Hi Pat,

it seems you've installed FSX into the default "Program Files" location? If so that might be the cause for your troubles as even an Administrator doesn't automatically have read/write access to folders within Program Files. You could try this: right-click on the main FSX folder, select Properties and then the Security tab. Check for the listed Group and User names whether "Full control" is checked. If not use the Edit button to assign full control and exit by using the OK button.

Cheers, Holger

Yes, it's in the default location.

I checked as suggested and it shows "Full Control" and others as ticked, though the tick is a grey rather than a black tick - not sure if that means anything.

I even tried a reinstall with UAC on to force it to ask for permission. It did ask but still the same problem.

I watched the system 32 entries at end of install and several "access denied" messages still flash across the screen

Hi Holger,

Tried it with Firewall and my antivirus off, same problem.

When I navigate to the terrain.cfg file I can open it - no idea why it will not let the FTX Blue in.

Seem to be running out of options

I noticed when the system32 entries scrolled at the end of installation, it said "couldn't find the file" a few times in addition to the "access denied" on others.

I am wondering about doing a repair on FSX, see if that helps, but a bit afraid to try.

Pat

Stranger and stranger.  ???

I have just installed a scenery package "Scotflight for FSX: Vol 1 - Highlands & Islands" which I know modifies terrain and scenery files.

It installed faultlessly and is working perfectly.

This would confirm that my computer is allowing access to the folders.

I then reinstalled FTX - unfortunately still the same result

Why then does FTX Blue have a problem ???  :-\

I am reluctant to run the repair function on FSX as I am not sure what I want to repair.

Where to from here, all suggestions welcome (polite ones only please)

To be honest, looking at the two screenshots you've posted it actually seems like FTX is installed correctly, and you've shown us a few areas where sometimes larger autogen buildings are suppressed.

I'd like to see some more screenshots of general suburban areas. Try loading up Hobart airport and then fly toward the city, taking a bunch of screenshots. That's going to tell me much more than the two you've shown.

Hi John,

Curiouser and curiouser.

I recently received my AU GOLD DVD and thought why not give it a go.

I deleted everything on AU BLUE, for the umpteenth time, and rechecked all permissions and UAC - the only odd thing I found this time was a tick in the "Hidden"

box of Attributes. I know I cleared this before. Anway I unticked it again.

I then loaded AU GOLD and it worked perfectly.

I then, with trepidation, reloaded again AU BLUE and it also now works perfectly.

So now I am a very happy chappie  ;D

Sorry for all the trouble, not really sure what happened there.

Pat

Archived