"Dull " Graphics Orbx England

bozman

A couple of time I have experienced this in Orbx England.

Sometimes the graphics are very dul/washed out, like flying with a dusty cockpit (Even on sunny day) other times they are very bright vibrant, can be on the same flight and one minute dull, next flicks to vibrant, 5 mins later goes back to dull.

I will try and capture some screen shots to see if that shows it up, but anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Order Number: FSS0187266

Order Date: 2012-11-17

It may be your settings or computer resources... try adjusting FSX settings to default and turn off all special effects and "preview direct x 10" (I don’t use it and have amazing results)... fly the area in question if all is stable slowly bring them up a notch or 2 and re-fly repeat until the frame rate becomes unstable again then back off a notch repeat.. Once you’re flying stable again turn on desired special effects 1 at a time starting with most desired effect and repeat the testing and adjust as necessary. As well defrag and clean your computers hard drive ie internet files garbage bin ect. first don’t forget if flying FSX as primary program you must adjust your computer to accommodate the sim if flying is not your primary resource you will have to fly with minimum settings to keep a smooth frame rate. You can also purchase from ORBX a tweeker and if you have Opus weather there is an amazing guide to help adjust your settings found in the PDF... oh and welcome to tweek world

Regards Dreamer

Hi Yardreamer, thanks for your input i dont use the preview, I run fixed frames 30fps no problem thoughtout orbx England, ok occasionally drops to 29.8. I am running a 3700 Oc to 4.5, with 16gig ram SSD , ge force 680gtx (over 3 monitors) and been tweeking since November so dont think its a hardware issue this only appears to be happening with Orbx, all of my other scenery eg corfu, Gibralter etc dont have this problem. It does appear to happen more if I start a flight at dawn, so could be a lighting issue. will keep testing and note the conditions when it occurs.

i do have Rex essential + overdrive installed+ shade. Wonder if perhaps it may be shade of a fualty instal of England. Just dont have the energy to do a reinstal

Dont seem to have this with Orbx PNW which i also have, so just wondewred if anyone else had experiences this issue

Regards

Dont seem to have this with Orbx PNW which i also have, so just wondewred if anyone else had experiences this issue

Sadly, I can't reply, but only add to "bozman" remarks on the subject, too.

I have found the same, except for summer textures which are bright (contrasted) enough and, IMO, the most conclusive textures to represent England ( I would say at any season.)

I have flown extensively - RW - over Britain for the past 30 years and miss the country very much although from the relative warmth of southern France, hence the reason to rush & purchase this scenery.

Rarely are winter sceneries "dull" in the UK, only in case of poor visibility, of course, but usually you'd get very defined landscape and horizon, even in winter.

Like bozman, I do not seem to get this "dull" effect with any of the US ORBX sceneries on my PC (whatever the weather and season) but I do get some of this with NZSI a lot.

So, not a harware query, rather a request for the designers' input as to the reason for this.

Thanks & congratulations on your efforts, it does make the sim flying more immersive.

I'm really not trying to be smart here, but maybe it is your cockpit windows. The reason I say this is that earlier today I had a flight and everything went darker, and even though I was only at around 6000 ft, it seems the problem was that my windscreen had iced up. I flicked on the defrost, and a few seconds later everything was back looking as it should.

Cheers,

Is this not simply a case of the Autumn & Winter textures (correctly) being darker / duller, than the Spring & Summer textures?

If you take a look in the 'Reviews' section, at the FTX ENG review by "FSX Page", they include like for like comparison shots of all 4 seasons, and it's very easy to see the contrasts...... and in those cases, the Autumn and Winter (not snowy hard winter) textures are somewhat duller ..... to me it looks realistic.

My first thoughts are, try different weather. I have Rex too, and although I rarely use the weather engine in Rex, I DO use "Real weather" in FSX.

Sometimes it is quite hazy or misty, giving the appearance of dull washed out scenery. A lot of things improved once I installed the latest Rex, and I notice more and more the lousy weather in England.

This is just a thought of course, and may not be related at all. But it would be nice to eliminate it from possible causes, yes?

Just a heads up re "Shade"

I had this installed when NZ came out. I wondered why the ground/grass textures were so vibrantly green, almost a bright emerald colour. Stopped using Shade & the problem was solved.

So maybe check your shade settings.

Thanks all, its not that its the different season, I was at 2000 feet , looked great and instantly went dull, few minutes later went bright , then reverted back to dull again. It wasnt cockpit windows as the same happened on the external views.

Also wasnt the sun going behind clouds. Image below is when it looks ok |(if the image shows)

Posted Image

I couldn't see what you're using for weather, but what you've described sounds a lot like the effect you'd see if you were flying at the same height as the transition layer between different visibility settings. I saw exactly the same thing yesterday using one of the ORBX weather themes and when I checked the weather it was something like 10 mile vis to 2,000 and 30 mile above 2,000. Sadly, the way this looks in FS is pretty poor; one minute it's dull and grey and then climb 10ft and it's suddenly all clear.

I couldn't see what you're using for weather, but what you've described sounds a lot like the effect you'd see if you were flying at the same height as the transition layer between different visibility settings. I saw exactly the same thing yesterday using one of the ORBX weather themes and when I checked the weather it was something like 10 mile vis to 2,000 and 30 mile above 2,000. Sadly, the way this looks in FS is pretty poor; one minute it's dull and grey and then climb 10ft and it's suddenly all clear.

if that is the issue Rex Opus fixes that some what ok by creating a kind of fog layer but still even with that transition is not to apealing but considering at one time I flew in no weather period... I can look the other way and accept it.

Archived