[FTX GLOBAL] using openVFR Germany, Netherlands

Hi all,

There was some discussion about if openVFR would work with FTX Global so I got in touch with Markus at openVFR and he provided me with the latest full coverage of Germany, Austria and I also downloaded their freeware Netherlands and Switzerland. They have a lot of coverage in Asia, Africa and South America too.

For Germany I installed all three layers; terrain, objects, buildings. What this gives you is a pure OSM-driven version of FTX Global and I found the result quite impressive (in fact I found it hard to stop flying, LOL!)

Here are some snaps along my way ..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is their freeware version of the Netherlands without any buildings though. It's not as complex or detailed as Germany but still looks quite ok. You can see Schiphol in the distance.

Posted Image

This looks very,very good indeed!

WOW!

...can't wait to go flying over FTX Global! :)

Reading that You also have the Austrian Package available though makes me want to ask:

Would it be possible to show some screenshots from Vienna and/or Salzburg and/or any other area You prefer from Austria if it is possible to do so?

That would really be great!

Cheers, Christoph

Excellent Shots John, Open VFR could be the way to go with Global. However, will thier Buildings and Objects (POI) also work with EU England etc.

There is no point installing openVFR over the top of FTX England, since both do the same thing. You could try adding their buildings layer but without the OSM streets in place it would look odd.

openVFR comes into play for all parts of the world where there is no Orbx region yet. Markus tells me their Norway package is really good so that is something to try with FTX Global.

openVFR is much like Ultimate Terrain, although openVFR is purely OSM generated whereby UTX is a mixture of various data sources. Both do very good jobs at what they want to do, which is to take the base terrain textures and construct an accurate landclass, vector, roads, and objects layers on top.

All of these sort of products really begin to shine once you use a decent texture addon like FTX. It's mostly about the textures, but we go further and add M-tiles so you get really nice joins and transitions between landclass types, plus we add custom trees and vegetation, new road textures, new autogen building textures and of course 3D lighting everywhere.

But as people say, the beauty of FTX Global is that you can choose whatever third party addon you want to enhance it. We won't promise an accurate world, but we do promise the best texture pack with extras to use as the basis for a better flight simulator.

John,

first of all thank you for the nice shot from Berlin!

What I see is impressive and I think many user of FTX Global could use these data from openVFR to improve their regions.

This may be valid for Non-FTX regions only, but it will improve the patience to wait for the release dates from your side 8)

Thanks again!

There is no point installing openVFR over the top of FTX England, since both do the same thing. You could try adding their buildings layer but without the OSM streets in place it would look odd.

openVFR comes into play for all parts of the world where there is no Orbx region yet. Markus tells me their Norway package is really good so that is something to try with FTX Global.

openVFR is much like Ultimate Terrain, although openVFR is purely OSM generated whereby UTX is a mixture of various data sources. Both do very good jobs at what they want to do, which is to take the base terrain textures and construct an accurate landclass, vector, roads, and objects layers on top.

All of these sort of products really begin to shine once you use a decent texture addon like FTX. It's mostly about the textures, but we go further and add M-tiles so you get really nice joins and transitions between landclass types, plus we add custom trees and vegetation, new road textures, new autogen building textures and of course 3D lighting everywhere.

But as people say, the beauty of FTX Global is that you can choose whatever third party addon you want to enhance it. We won't promise an accurate world, but we do promise the best texture pack with extras to use as the basis for a better flight simulator.

Thanks John for the comprehensive answer, much appreciated.

Not at all. You just run the installer, it will take care of backing up your current textures and key files, then you simply start a flight anywhere in the world :)

Of course, you'll probably spend some time sorting out various third party landclass and terrain addons to sit on top as well. Although if for example you have UTX Europe or North America installed already, just running the FTX Global installer will give you an instant new Orbx look to everything without needing to do anything at all.

I also just installed last night the OpenVFR terrain, builduings and objects for Switzerland and suffered no loss of frame rate at all. I do have to say however, that this (in my opinion) did not look so great in winter or below say 5-6000 feet, but when I switched to summer and climbed to about 7500 it looked really good. Just sad that the Ostschweiz where I live seems to have missed out on love :-[ - no buildings at all placed in Heiden where I live, just the road network, and St. Gallen doesn't get many building either.

Jack

Today I gave it a try and yes, no performance issues, which is good.

But unfortunately it looks bad with the GEX textures at least at altitudes below 3000 feet.

Not because of the OSM data, just the texture.....

Therefore, dear JV, is there any light on the horizon about the release of FTX Global??

I've said first half 2013, so please be patient and follow our previews and progress reports :)

JV, can I ask a small request please, FTX Global is looking better and better all the time in your preview shots. But can you please do a post sometime with comparison shots of FTX Global with and without these other addon products ie: the same shot of FTX Global with and without openVFR Germany. A lot of these products I hadn't heard of before since becoming a fan of ORBX products, so when I'm seeing these preview shots I'm not sure what's adding what visual effect

Many thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hey I am eagerly awaiting FTC Global and currently have UTX, ST, openVFR and custom landclasses for certain areas. I see in your sig John that you are running all of these + FSGenesis (I am looking at getting) I have just been running UTX with one addon LC as instructed by UTX. I am just wondering what order and what you enable in your scenery library.

Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Will your landclass product be as good as those netherlands shots? Or will it be lesser "detailed" because you cover one whole continent at once ?

I have your textures ! now I want them in the right place :D

keep up your great work guys !

Hi,
I made some quick trials yesterday with FTX Global and OpenVFR over Switzerland. I notice the more vector data are accurate the less there are buildings in urban area. For example anytime a road crosses a neighbourhood, houses and buildings which are set disappear. The down town looked better with FTXG alone. So I wonder if that issue occurs with any additional landclass and if there is a way to prevent that ?

Most vector addons allow you to disable the "urban streets" layer which reduces the FSX vector roads and how they can supress autogen. Check with the openVFR website, forums or documentation - there could well be a way to reduce the density of those streets.

Do you think this is the right attitude to ask questions?

What about reading the relevant manual, or give it a try and find out by your own?

Just my 3 cents!

I just asked if the orbx lc will be as good as the vfr stuff, since orbx offers continents and openvfr countries.

What´s the problem with that question?

John didn´t answered my question directly, so... ;)

Archived