What if FTX Global does NOT give the profit expected?

After following the discussions started/answered by JV, it seems to me that the revised policy from ORBX is that "we need/want to make more money"! So, if a project, let´s say after 6-9 months is not profitable enought, it will be cancelled. Am I right?

Then let´s look at FTX Global. I have two options to buy that concept. If I buy the most expensive one (the Plus Pack is like a subscription which gives you continual improvements to FTX Global for life or as long as Orbx remains a company ;)), I would rely on the fact that I will get updates/new regions in the future, that is what I´m paying more for or...... So in about a years time ORBX finds out that project was not profitable enough and tells us "sorry guys we have cancelled the project"!!!!! I will then have paied twice as much as for the Base Pack, BUT will get nothing for my extra AU$99.95.

Indeed this is something, at least for me, to think about.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Revised policy? Since when has it not been Orbx policy to make money and ultimately make a profit? Isn't that what every business should be doing unless they are a charity?

Last time I checked, we weren't a charity (although sometimes people do forget this, LOL!)

Let me answer your concerns about the additional 99.95 investment in the Plus edition. Orbx has been around since 2006 when we started with just me. We grew to three staff within a few months and now we have a team of 60+ around the world, including volunteers and testers. Does that sound like a company going backwards or which is not viable?

But you have given me something to think about, and perhaps we'll put a defined period on the DLC content, perhaps 12 months. That way you know that you're purchasing 12 months' worth of DLC guaranteed.

Thanks for your rapid answer JV. "Revised" was perhaps a bad world to use (I am a Swede 8) ) What I was reffering to, was that for the past month or so there has been more discussions about profit than for the past 6 years.

I DO work as a solicitor (since over 30 years) and my speciality is taxes/agreements/small-midsize businesses so I know everything about what´s going on in the minds of the people trying to run them.

I also want my business to be profitable but I keep my thoughts about making more money inside my mind and I get a bad feeling when the CEO finds the need to talk so much about it in a public forum.

One more thing. You choosed NOT to answer my question about cancelling a project, lets say FTX Global, after a year or so if it is not profitable enough.

Sincerely

Jack

Thanks for your rapid answer JV. "Revised" was perhaps a bad world to use (I am a Swede 8) ) What I was reffering to, was that for the past month or so there has been more discussions about profit than for the past 6 years.

I DO work as a solicitor (since over 30 years) and my speciality is taxes/agreements/small-midsize businesses so I know everything about what´s going on in the minds of the people trying to run them.

I also want my business to be profitable but I keep my thoughts about making more money inside my mind and I get a bad feeling when the CEO finds the need to talk so much about it in a public forum.

One more thing. You choosed NOT to answer my question about cancelling a project, lets say FTX Global, after a year or so if it is not profitable enough.

Sincerely

Jack

I love arguing with lawyers, LOL! ;D

I have been talking about Orbx's lack of profitability for 5+ years. Just use the forum search function to find my name and "profit" or "profitable" and you'll see it has been on my mind from almost day one, as it should be for any business owner.

We have no intention of cancelling any project based on profitability. If we did that, we would never have made any service packs for any of our regions. Most of the SP's are made (at our cost) for regions well before they have made a profit. This has always been our policy and the lack of profit won't dictate a commitment to continual refinement and in the case of FTXG continual DLCs.

Thanks again for a rapid an clearifying answer. I also like to argue with lawyers ::) !

Now I feel more confident again and if you look at my sig, you can see that I have made my contribution to the ORBX profit (minimize the loss) ::) and I will do so also in the future.

I had no intention to be noosy or insult you or the company, I guess my question/worry was because of my profession.

Cheers

Jack

I had no intention to be noosy or insult you or the company, I guess my question/worry was because of my profession.

Yes, Jack, that is the bad part of our job: At some time you become suspicious of everything and everyone ... :blink:

I would certainly invest in the development of FTXG if I was interested in the whole wide world. Instead I only fly in north America. So, no FTXG for me.

But you have given me something to think about, and perhaps we'll put a defined period on the DLC content, perhaps 12 months. That way you know that you're purchasing 12 months' worth of DLC guaranteed.

if so,

i think there is a big pressure to release DLC updates,it if not enough in that time, the user are not happy................not a good choice ......

if i buy then only the basic,are there no updates or patches?

Ooooops...... I sincerely hope that I have not started something that I will regret!!!! THAT was NOT my intention. But what else can you expect from a retired major in the army (16 years, but my wife says retarded) and after that a lawyer for over 30 years!!! Maybe I should do Harakiri!!! :blink::unsure:???

Jack

the Swede in Spain

if so,

i think there is a big pressure to release DLC updates,it if not enough in that time, the user are not happy................not a good choice ......

if i buy then only the basic,are there no updates or patches?

Honestly, even if there will be not every update a new airport or something big i will support the guys at orbx right for their work, spirit and their honesty and believe in us customers.

I would be proud having the opportunity working for orbx.

Carsten

Edit:

John, if you need someone special who is doing worldwide sales for orbx just contact me :-)

You can express things in different ways, but the message you "send out" might not be the same thing that people receive! Ok JV has NEVER said the exact words ""we need/want to make more money" BUT the meaning of his postings, in my opinion as a lawyer or a common ORBX customer, is that ORBX, as ALL normal companies are in the business to make money/profit and why shoud they not? As JV put it, they do NOT do charity. So really I do not see the problem. Either we accept it or not! me, for my part, accept it. My problem in this is not to pay for EXCELLENT products, I just want to ensure that I get what I pay for. That is, IF I pay for life time upgrades, I do NOT want it to end within a year, because I hope to live longer than a year. By the way, who´s lifetime?

Jack

the Swede in Spain.

JJ Both my wife and my stepson are Lawyers, and they would never assume to put words into peoples mouths.. their job is to accept the literal, not to "assume", and your initial question is unanswerable anyway, how can John possibly know how long this business will last?

Honestly, even if there will be not every update a new airport or something big i will support the guys at orbx right for their work, spirit and their honesty and believe in us customers.

I would be proud having the opportunity working for orbx.

Carsten

Edit:

John, if you need someone special who is doing worldwide sales for orbx just contact me :-)

i only miss 2 orbx airports,all regions and other airports i have,so i think i support also orbx,and will do that in future.......... ::)

I'm "all in" on FTX Global...I've been suggesting that Orbx do a Caribbean scenery for a few years....looks like I'll get a "lite" version of that now with great textures for the Caribbean. Looking forward to flying in sunshine and avoiding pop-up thunderstorms versus the overcast PNW / PFJ that I only fly in now...

My FSX horizons are about to expand in a few months!

Now if I could only get decent performance from my new Saphhire 7970 card that I'm trying to run on 3 screens...I've gone back to one monitor in my last few flights because I get such a FPS hit. argghhh

JJ Both my wife and my stepson are Lawyers, and they would never assume to put words into peoples mouths.. their job is to accept the literal, not to "assume", and your initial question is unanswerable anyway, how can John possibly know how long this business will last?

Well well, welcome to the real world!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the time in courts we "assume" what people say and mean!!!

I see that I have posted something I should have not! I am sorry for that. This "case" is closed from my point of view!

Jesus Christ, I thought we were more opened than this in our minds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"This "case" is closed from my point of view!"

There never was a case.. your opening comment was incorrect, and blaspheming did not help it at all.

You will not find a more open minded forum than this, John is always ready to listen to rational arguments, with the emphasis on "rational". Now if you find this offensive I am very sorry.

I recall a (now politically incorrect) saying from the legal world, "what would the normal prudent man do?" It's based on the concept that there is such a creature, presumably male! As a fairly normal fairly prudent man I have long read the phrase "lifetime guarantee" as "we'll back the product for an indeterminate time,".

We might assume it mean for the lifetime of the purchaser, and we might hope it means decades, but a prudent person would possibly think twice. It could mean as long as the sales life of the product - as in the software industry where support tends to end when a newere product is released. It could only mean for the lifetime of the product - "it won't break until it breaks"! ???

The best question to ask, I think, is what's the minimum we can expect? Or else make a prudent judgment as to what we can expect given the service record of the vendor. In this case I am confident in the vendor. I will gladly buy the basic pack, look at it, and if I'm happy, put aside money for the second part.

Caveat emptor, of course. On weighing the risks, and on reasonable inspection of products, I accept Orbx products as a good gamble. They have already returned enough value to me encourage further purchases because, in aggregate, we all win. Which is better than we can say about court cases!

Archived