I got a new toy this afternoon :D

Posted Image

An AEE Magicam SD-21, essentially a (much) less expensive version of the GoPro. I'll be getting some footage from the glider cockpit over the coming months so stay tuned! You can read part one of my mini review on my blog HERE. Will be doing some test footage tomorrow and will add some Youtube links once I upload it. First impressions - it's as good as if not better than the GoPro2, or the GoPro3 White or Silver, but the GoPro3 Black has better image quality. For the price though, this is seriously good value.

Let me know if you have any q's.

Cheers,

Derek

Speaking about toys, Derek:

What has happend to the panel that you won in the contest some time ago.

I remember some posts of you about having trouble with it. Could you fix it or is it still impossible to use?

Regards, DocBird

G'day Ryan,

From my testing so far it seems pretty similar to the GoPro3 white or the older GoPro2. I suspect the sensor in the Silver may be slightly better. Colour is better in the AEE camera though, even better than the GoPro3 Black. It has no ability to connect to a smartphone as far as I can tell, the remote control is and rf device but don't think it's technically wifi despite the manufacturer's claims. Did some test footage yesterday driving to and from work... did a video on the way to work, Wanneroo to Perth Airport and then a timelapse photo run on the way home. The timelapse is uploaded to Youtube but I didn't have time to cut the video together before flying out to a minesite this morning. Home again tomorrow, so will try and upload the video footage tomorrow night - I can tell you it's pretty good quality though, much better than I was expecting for a $150 video camera.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrE2ORuVXrs

Cheers,

Derek

Test footage is up, apart from being very slightly oversaturated I'm very impressed. I'm going to add a polarising filter for some nice rich sky colour while flying, and a little desaturation during editing will clean it up nicely.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1vbKLyIqdY

Very happy with this camera, it compares extremely favourably to the GoPro 2 or 3 white/silver - at a much lower price. Part two of my review will be up on my blog shortly.

Cheers,

Derek

Archived