Best Graphics Cards For FSX

mf6480

Hi,

I am interested in upgrading my Nvidia GeForce 9600GT graphics card as my FPS are not currently very good in FSX. I'm getting anything from between 2.5 FPS and 15 FPS at larger airports which really does spoil the experience.

I have been having a look around at the various modern graphics cards which are available today and came across the GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB graphics card. Does anybody have this or can anyone recommend another good card for FSX?

Thank you

it looks like he has a i7 2700?k,if your pocessor is k version you can overclock it,if it isnt then you have to use the stock speed,believe me a overclocked pocessor is the way to go,tho having a good size graphics card for fsx will only make the images better in fsx,as far as frames you would most likely get a increase of maybe 1-3 frames with a new card,been there and done it mate,im up to date with the current hardware,and even with the ivy bridge pocessor i had to overclock it to run fsx to its full maxium!

Yes, its an i7 2700K CPU. I have just tried overclocking it but not sure if I've done it right as it seemed too easy? I used ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility and just adjusted the clock speed slider from x35.0 to x38.0 (it limits me to x39.0).

Posted Image

With regard to the GPU, would the 660 Ti be compatible with my motherboard which is an ASRock H61M-HVS 1155 Socket (sorry, i don't know much about this sort of thing)

If funds allow have a closer look at a factory overclocked 670 GTX. It's as fast as a stock 680 GTX and would suit your CPU very well. No problem with compatibility at all.

+1 the 670 is a fantastic card. If I hadn't already got 2 680's I would have gone for 670's without a doubt.

As far as your overclocking goes try enabling turbo in the Bios as your screenie above looks like your in a windows based oc utility which are pretty poor.

I have spent a LOT of time the past year looking for "the best card" for FSX. Most information tells me that the card has very little or none effect on the fps in FSX. Both ATI and NVIDIA have stated that they DO NOT optimize their cards for FSX anymore!!!! So when it comes to the brand, choose best value for the money. I built my new PC from ground up last summer and after all the research I did I found the AMD Radeon HD 6970 (2048 MB) to give most for my bucks.That might NOT be the best chnoice today. There are as many ATI fans as NVIDIA fans so....... Todfay I would buy the AMD ATI 7970 that looks as "best price". I have used both brands for over 30 years and like them both. Also it seems that FSX users seem to have some problems with the NVIDIA Inspector.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

A larger RAM buffer (more than 2Gb) only really provides a performance benefit when used to run screens at a resolution greater than 1920x1080 such as 2560x1600 or 1080p surround.

Thanks! So for a (potential) three screen setup a must, correct?

Hi, easy answer: I just tried my friend 660ti and there is NO difference in FPS compare to my 590.

I'm running FSX on a 30in LG monitor with a native 2560x1600 resolution and a second 24in for instruments. I have 2600K and I have to work on OC. Never did so with those K series :-)

Still searching for an easy solution to OC. But anything bellow 590 will show a lost on FPS due to my high resolution.

Thanks so much for all your thoughts and suggestions chaps, its really appreciated! Just thought I would give you an update on which card I have decided to go for.

It was a tough decision but I today bought the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 from Amazon.co.uk for £300. Really hope I made the right choice as its a lot of money to spend if it doesn't improve my game play experience.

Ok, I just OC my 2600K today to an easy 4.4ghz (3.4 non OC). The gain in Brisbane (my hardest addon) with the QW Avro146 is about 10-15 FPS on landing-inside VC looking at airport. Temperature are fine so far with Air Cooled (giant heat-sink- rad/fan)

Meaning it was before sometime in the single digit. A close to steady 30FPS with the RA turbine Duke. Remember that I'm using a 30in 2560x1600 monitor (NOT TV)

Which mother board are you using? I have the Asus P8P67 PRO B3 and the new BIOS is easy to work with as to OC, it's even done IN win7.

The computer will test about 8-10 OC configuration and will do some testing in between them, about 30min to 45 min total.

I was always afraid of OC ing the K series but now i just can't go back.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 660ti that is overclocked by MSi, to jsut over 1000MHz. It seems to do everything I need, I think the main difference between this card and the 670 is the memory bandwidth, which I believe is an issue only when running multiple monitors at high resolutions... I am sure someone out there could confirm this one way or another.

Cheer

Dom

Archived