cybd runway flickering and shimmering

acer

Hi Russ

First let me congradulate you on doing an awesome job on cybd.I have all three of your scenries and they are excellent.I came across something you might not be aware of but as I was flying over cybd at an altitude of 5000 ft I noticed a lot of shimmering and flickering of streaks and patches going across the runway and to the sides..It seems to start to to do this

at around 4000 ft and above and gets worse the higher you go.Flying over the runway say at around 2000 ft it is normal...I checked your other two airports and they dont produce that effect nor do I get it at any other airport.I did manage to capture some sceenshots showing the light colored patches and you can see the difference between the two jpg..these patches change and flicker as you are flying.

Posted Image

Posted Image

thanks

Terry

I get this too, didn't notice it during testing because I was flying around inspecting the details from a lot lower altitude. Hopefully it can be reduced in due course, though I know it's always a compromise between detail and flicker in the FSX engine when the devs are pushing the boundaries so to speak.

HI guys, yes this is always a side effect of using big ground poly's and no LOD's. No LOD's are used because it makes the scenery more frame friendly to not include them, and the reason it happens is because the big poly mdel that makes up the detailed airport ground has to sit above the FSX terrain. The closer the model surface is to the FSX terrain surface the easier it will flicker with altitude. There has to be a comprimise though, as if the poly is lifted too high off the FSX terrain then it will be too obvious at ground level that it is floating. Parallax is my enemy here :) so i have to get it close enough to the FSX terrain surface for it not to be too noticable that it's 'floating' but high enough for it not to be flickering on approach. Flying directly over the top of the airport will produce this flicker, Always a compromise in this game!

Russ.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Thanks for the answer about the flickering but is there no way to reduce it? It flickers so bad that it really spoils the imersion of the beautiful place.

Posted Image

Please, if something cab be done, can i ask for another try on this matter?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas for everybody ;)

Hello!

Thanks for the answer about the flickering but is there no way to reduce it? It flickers so bad that it really spoils the imersion of the beautiful place.

Posted Image

Please, if something cab be done, can i ask for another try on this matter?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas for everybody ;)

Hi Flavio, this is what I see from a altitude 4558 ft. Indeed there is some flickering but not to heavy.

Peter

Posted Image

Thanks for your feedback Peter.

I don´t know what altitude i was in the screen above but it was not so high. Something between 2000-3000 ft. But the flickering was huge. I have many other orbx scenerys and it doesn´t happen on them. Well... don´t hurt to ask ^-^

Hi

Yes, it would be nice if something could be done to help improve it ,I have to ask if Ketichan and Stewart are done with the same modelling technique why is there no flickering when you fly over these airports at any altitude

Thanks

Terry

Hi guys, the reason no flickering is apparent at Stewart is because the ground poly was lifted higher off the FSX terrain than i did for Bella Coola.... the reason.... because with Stewart some customers were complaining that when moving around the airport on the ground near the poly edges it was apparent that the airport was 'floating'.... so with Bella Coola i reduced this gap to lessen the 'floating' effect.... the result is more flicker! with FSX you can never win!

This cant really be changed, as the height of the ground poly dictates the placement height of everything on it, the grass, the planes, the people, the tree's etc etc, so changing the ground poly height would require the individual adjustment of hundreds of object placements, which would take as much time as starting from scratch again!

Russ.

Thank you for the reply Russ,I was just curious what the difference was and now I know

but apprciate you taking the time to explain it.I know how time consuming it is working on scenery..

thanks for your time

Terry

• 3 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old corpse, but although I bought Bella Coola when it first came out, I have only just (two nights ago) got round to using it. I spend a lot of the winter in sunnier climes.

My very first impression of Bella Coola, once airborne, was the horrendous flickering, not just of the runway but the whole airport. So I came here to find an answer.

Russ, I read your explanation a few times to make sure I had it right.

While I fully accept your reasons for the flickering, I'm astounded that you felt it was more important to alleviate a problem while walking around and substitute it for a far greater problem while you're in the air! In my view you chose the greater of two evils.

I've taken several turns round Stewart to refresh my memory. I'm damned if I can see anything wrong with it. Having said that, I didn't go for a walk!

Hi Ron, from what altitude above CYBD is the flickering starting at, it sounds as if it's a massive problem, but during development i had zero flicker below 7000 feet (within acceptable limits for standard GA operations), and this was backed up by the testing reports. I would be interested to hear at what height this flicker occurs for you?

Russ.

Hi Russ, sorry if I sounded tetchy...

Just did a test. Flickering starts at about 2200-2300 with parked aircraft flickering then builds to a veritable firework display at 3800!

I noticed it when I did a round trip from CYBD. Of course nothing was amiss on the way out but on the way back in...Sheesh!

I took a screenshot or two but they didn't really show the problem. As I said, it's not just the runway, it's the buildings, parked aircraft and bits of greenery too.

Cheers

Sorry to hear of this Ron, it's a tricky thing to troubleshoot when i cannot reproduce the symptoms. Do you own Stewart? if so do you have the same issue there? both airports were made using the same methods and techniques so it would be strange is you have issues only at CYBD.

Russ.

• 2 months later...

Regarding my very similar experience, zoom level isn't the main culprit here. I get flickering at all zoom levels if camera clipmode is set to minimal.

I thought I was the only person experiencing this issue, but seems there are quite a few others with similar experiences. I for one would really appreciate it if this issue could be looked into a bit further as it significantly affects the experience and spoils otherwise excellent add-on scenery.

Link to my ongoing support query: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/57751-flashing-ftx-runways-anacortes-orcas-bella-coola/

Sorry to hear of this Ron, it's a tricky thing to troubleshoot when i cannot reproduce the symptoms. Do you own Stewart? if so do you have the same issue there? both airports were made using the same methods and techniques so it would be strange is you have issues only at CYBD.

Russ.

I'm sorry Russ, I didn't see this response. Yes I do have Stewart and no I don't have the same issue there. Also I wasn't zoomed in. I don't mess about like that, I just look out of the winder. :)  Having said that, I haven't been to Stewart for quite a while so I'll go take another look. I'm sure I would have noticed though.

Ron.

Archived