Better Lancair?

boleyd

Now that RealAir's Lancair has been out for awhile, is there any material difference between that and the Orbx model. I have th Orbx model but should I also get the RealAir model or is Orbx really just as good??

The flight model is very critical to me. I really would not know if a rivit was missing anyhow. The only fault I have is the info screen behind the left control stick. If a background option was offered in real-life then a higher contrast display might be nice. Slowly getting the hang of it with a much more "gentle stick".

RealAir's stuff has always been about getting it mostly right, while maintaining high performance values. Orbx products are all about staying as true to what they are modeling and keeping it as realistic as possible. This means that with the Orbx product, you'll be getting something that keeps that very high fidelity standard you've come to expect from them over the years. It might take a little more juice to run it, but is deffinattely well worth it. But as mentioned in a previous post two, they are in fact two different aircraft. But if anyone is considering one or the other... I'd without question go with the Orbx Lancair. It will fly like a dream.

They are both real great planes and do not need to be compared with each other that much as they are - and as pointed out already - two different types of Lancairs anyway.

And both are really well modelled.

In real world they would barely be compared with each other either i guess, so...

:)

And concerning the FPS:

I think both are okay overall - sure:

They are both no C172's but really okay ... - at least as far as i can say, judging from my system

Spin the Lancair ?? What's your name? Chuck Yeager? ::)

From my few flights in this bird, it demands respect! I've parked it in one of my hangers for the time being till I get a few thousand hours under my belt :unsure:

It has bitten me too ... ouch :wacko:

not to blow our own horn, but the flight model of ours is more true to the real thing

A daring statement to say the least. Realair is famous for their excellent flight modelling. I like both models very much. They're both hotrods that have to be treated with respect.

Now that RealAir's Lancair has been out for awhile, is there any material difference between that and the Orbx model. I have th Orbx model but should I also get the RealAir model or is Orbx really just as good??

To answer your question about buying the Realair or not? I'd say Yes buy it. They are indeed different planes, but you will not regret owning the Realair Legacy.

Spin the Lancair ?? What's your name? Chuck Yeager? ::)

:P No.....but I've spun the RealAir version. I do like the way that RealAir models the stall and spin. It's not easy to do this in FSX, I know. The RealAir also does a very nice job of modelling the accelerated stall. A spin is actually a fun exercise when you know how to recover. It's a low airspeed maneuver and doesn't stress the aircraft at all (unless you find yourself in a flat spin, I suppose). Recovery can get fast and stressful, of course. I also like the realistic spoiler operation for slowing down on the Legacy. Great cockpit shake animation related to prop physics as well. Don't know if it's actual physics, or just animation, but it adds additional immersion realism.

Only running (and loving) the Orbx so far, but I guess that the Realair will be like any Realair plane, a very good purchase while being a tad more expensive than the rest. The thing for me is that the Legacy isn't pressurized or turbocharged, so I'd be stuck around 10.000ft for the fast stuff, while the IV-P can chase the big turbine birds on the cruise level and speed if she wants to. However, the views with the Legacy's 'canopy' seems to be better suited for the low and super fast ways.

Both planes offer a FDE from very capable devs I'd say. The Orbx' FDE is from Alexander Metzger and that guy handled a lot of good stuff. I'm also a fan of the electronic 'ND' in the Orbx, while Realair chose their already known analogue HSI setup. So I'd say that the actual quality isn't in doubt at any plane, it's more of a preference decision. One has to applaud to RA for their ways of integrating the RXP gauges though. This looks extremely good with the extra 3D model.

The Realair surely is on my list, same as for some Van's RV-7.

Archived