My Old Drifter Repaint

Markon

A couple of months ago I purchased Ant’s Aircraft’s Drifter A-582 and while looking through the documentation, was stunned to see my old Drifter 25-413.

I took delivery of 25-413 from Ausflight on the 5th December 1990. I had actually had the pleasure of ordering 413 and seeing it under construction at Boonah while I was doing my conversion onto ultralites.

My understanding is that it was the third Ausflight Drifter constructed with the Rotax 582 engine and the first to use the Brolga 4 blade prop.

I really enjoyed flying 413 and before selling it, amassed over 300 hours in it. The fantastic visibility and manoeuvrability and the Drifter’s almost STOL ability made it an excellent farmer’s tool and a joy to fly.

It was sold in June 1998. The reason for the reluctant sale was that I was doing a lot of corporate training in the IT industry and not really flying it. The insurance at the time was prohibitive as well adding to ownership costs.

Posted Image

Painting by a local artist, Madeline Cobb showing me flying 413. As you can see, the wheel spats have been removed as I was generally operating off rough farm strips.

I downloaded the paint kit and modified the DDS files to match the actual colour scheme when I operated it.

Posted Image

I chose the colour scheme because I was primarily using it for stock and paddock inspection and mustering. As most of the flying was below 500 feet AGL and one of our properties that I was operating it over was in prime broadacre and cotton country, there were many agricultural aircraft operating at the same level, I wished to be as visible as possible.

Posted Image

Posted Image 

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. :) I must admit I realy miss flying 413.

One of my great pleasures was when I took many of my friends up in 413 and shared the experience and thrills of open cockpit flying.

One of my Dutch friends after a flight in 413, christened it “Mooi Wespeâ€, which I understand roughly translates as Beautiful Wasp.

Archived