Attaching history to a screenshot

Davepdx

I thought it might be fun to attach a bit of history to a screenshot, remembering that father time tends to distort memory. If the shots appear gray and dull, it's because the weather often made Sandy, Oregon a gray, dull place, visually. Lot's of loggers live in and around this area. Stubborn German loggers, who would bury money in a tin can in a field rather than use a bank. My kind of people.

52 years ago a friend named Otto, in a plane similar to this, took my father and myself up for a ride above where we lived at the time, Sandy Oregon, Orbx PNW. You can see the Columbia river off in the distance, as well as Portland slightly left of center.

Posted Image

I always thought Otto was at one time a Nazi pilot, but perhaps the reverse is true and he escaped europe after fighting in WW2. Otto you see, was missing some finger stubs on both hands, something that could set a 10 year olds imagination aflame.

Posted Image

If memory serves, the small airport under the tailwheel was (or still is) the home of the Sandy fly-in breakfast. Private pilots would fly-in for a weekend breakfast, and local groups would serve the enormous breakfast outside under tents. A totally awsome breakfast. Just off the nose, a field where my friends and I would crack a Keg and cut a baseball diamond on every Sunday, after my return from Vietnam, early 70's.

Posted Image

Otto's house, at the crest of the hill, under the tailwheel. His son Mike, went on to become a helicopter pilot. Not sure if he served in Southeast Asia.

Posted Image

Archived