Back to the Cockpit building

tennyson

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, not much to tell at the moment.

I'm ferreting away at my sidewalls now, busting a hump to get them finished, so I can move on to the next stage.

Oh, I just received a parcel in the mail from APHS. It's my Grimes incandescant floodlight for the sidewall. These baby's are worth a fortune in the real world and so I expected something pretty trashy for 100 bucks, but this is amazing. It is in such good condition, I think it could go back in a real 737.

Here's a pic:

Posted Image

I'm so stoked. I just have to swap the bulb over for a 12 volter and then wire it up to the power supply from the MIP.

I had plans of making a mould from it and I was gonna knock some up out of fibreglass, with an led torch in the guts, but this is so special, I'm going back to Nick and seeing if he can get me another one of these originals.

That's two gems in one week, woohoo!

Hold the presses, make that three, with NZNI on finals! Can't wait to add that scenery to the mix. Queenstown to Auckland, you bewdy!!!!

Frank

I live in a place with a big gate out the front and a keypad....after 30 years of IT, good luck with that!

Well after a hectic few days ts nice to see you have not lost your sense of humour. That overhead certainly looks the money.

Frank

I live in a place with a big gate out the front and a keypad....after 30 years of IT, good luck with that!

Frank

What have you got out the back?

Anyway, keypads are a minor annoyance and easily bypassed :D :D

dan,

That was the idea.

I loved doing the MIP, but too much work in planning and fitting and soldering and testing......

This way, I just make a hole in the roof, bung it in and attach a few leads here and there and magic happens.....well, that's the plan, mostly!

Frank

Well, building of the right hand sidewall has begun in earnest.

There's sawdust and MDF dust flying everywhere. I'll have some pics to show tonight. The right side will differ from the left, with no plinth for the i-pad on that side. Don't want those FO's thinking they are as good as the Captain...

I laso changed plans and ordered another grimes utility light for the sidewall. I had a small project assigned for that one, but the real thing was far too good to mess around with, so I'm just buying another real one.

When I finish the right sidewall, I'll be building the sill panels. They are a very complex, curved project that will require some skill and exterity to work properly.

All will be revealed....

Frank

Well, Timmo, I can help you out there.

However, I might lose a few followers with this little post.

Firstly, my right hand sidewall is doing alright. Here's a pic of the calm before the storm. I'm amassing a lot of photo's and drawings now, as I go along.

You can never have too many drawings when it comes to this type of construction:

Posted Image

And here's the left one, just finishing off the plinth with a few final sands before moving on to the next stage, the sill panel:

Posted Image

More checking of the drawings before finally taking the first cut....

Posted Image

And here's the sidepocket being tacked together:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And now for the moment of truth. After having had the problem with my wiring (stuff up No 1), I had a heck of a problem getting to the lights in the glareshields.

I was also very disappointed with the angle of the glare wings within the shields. This came about because I married two manufacturers glare wings together.

I thought it would "be ok", but after weeks of looking at those weird angles, I just couldn't take it.

I've ripped the galershield apart and am going to re-alingn the wings so that they slant at the right angles. I'll also make the lighting more accessible also, while I'm at it.

Some of you must think I'm mad. It was all constructed and I could be using my time and energies finishing off something else.

It's not so much that I want this thing perfect, but I will no doubt be flying (eventually) with some RW pilots and It would have stood out as soon as you'd entered the cockpit.

And the other thing is, that I have oodles of time and the re-alignment should not be a major event anyway.

So, here's some pics of the tear down process:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guess that adds a week to the inaugural flight....

Frank

I'll just have to sit my iPad on the FO's side of the glare shield when not in use...lol Everything continues in your usual impressive way except for your cat's whiskers photo. Has the RSPCA called on you yet?

Hahaha....mate, gotta tell you, that's not really my cat! Please don't tell anybody, tho....

Ok, so here's a little update.

When I bought the grimes utility light for the sidewalls, I planned on making a mould of the outside of the light and making some shells from fibregalss and putting newer type led torches in them.

That all changed when I received the light, in extraordinary condition. I am now just cleaning them up, maybe a coat of paint and changing them over to 12 volt instead of 28 volt (normal aircraft operating voltage).

However, when I started pulling the unit apart, I thought, why not give it an overhaul internally and make sure that it will last for a long time.

So, as per usual, I started to strip it down. The problem was, it's a complex little beast and I could only get so far.

I went to google and found that I could buy a manual for the light (at a ridiculous price) and at least be able to have that for future reference.

I bought the manual and downloaded it. Great, a full workshop manual, except that it doesn't go ibto enough detail to tell you how to completely strip it.

So, I took a step back and used my brain and through a process of elimination worked out how it was constructed.

I finally pulled it all apart and was able to clean it. It is really in tip top shape and could quite easily go back into a functional cockpit.

I thought about that dramas I have just gone throo, so I documented and photographed the process and have turned it into a pdf file.

I'll throw it up on a few cockpit builders forums in case other builders are anal enough to want to strip down one of them as well.

Here's a few pics to show how this baby works:

Using a scriber, I pulled out the circlip from the lens unit

Posted Image

That's about all you need to do, to replace the bulb. From here, you just remove the frosted glass and remove the bayonet fitting bulb and replace with a 12 volt one from your local Supecheap Auto or local garage

Posted Image

But, if the unit is faulty or you want to strip it completely down, then, you find the hole in the bottom of the main housing and use a small screwdriver or scriber and push the nylon strip around until you find one of the ends.

Then, carefully pull it throo with a pair of long nose pliers or tweezers and it will completely come out throo that hole.

Posted Image

You can now see down into the main housing and you can remove the reflector from the lens assembly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The main attachment fitting is held on via two screws with nuts, so you need to get to this point before trying to remove the fitting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Three screws (one under the main attachment mount (above) and two on the sides) attach the bulb holder to the main housing.

Oh, I nearly forgot, you need to de-solder the wire from the positive terminal on the bulb holder, before removing the bulb holder.

Posted Image

And, that's about it. Clean away and then just do the reverse to put it all back together.

Now that I have worked it out, I'll get my other one, when it arrives and will give it a thorough clean and grease as well and change the bulb over ready for her new life in the sim.

Posted Image

That's it for today, gents,

Frank

Ahhh, yeah, that would be the one.

Hmm, maybe Google is not my friend, after all.

I printed that one out, too, but in actual fact it is different from the one I bought. Doesn't matter, the content is the same and now I have two to read.

Thanx Nick,

Frank

Hmmm, it's gone deliriously quiet in here, chaps. Is everybody on holidays or drowning their sorrows with the GFC?

It's not hard to see it's effects worldwide, is it.

Anyway, I've been toiling away. I have my first utility light stripped and cleaned and just waiting on a few solid rivets to put it back together.

Still working away at the right sidewall and I've made progress with the re-vamping of the glareshield.

I've re-angled the wings to where they should be, made a solid rib for the wings to bolt to the shield and have just this moment finished doing some fibreglassing of the rib to the wing.

the idea of this is to allow access later on if I need to change a bulb or repair anything.

Still no word on my Sim Revolution throttle quadrant. I'm waiting,waiting..........

Frank

Still with you buddy, but man I am getting tired just looking at all the work required for this project.

But I do envy the feeling I know you will get when you finally sit down for a flight in the completed Sim.

I know, John.

I am beating myself up over pulling the MIP apart again, but I know I would have been less than happy with the finished result.

I know now, that it will be all smiles.

Talking of which, I have fibreglassed up the rib to the wing. Now I need to trim it back in the morning and keep glassing until it's 100%.

Then a coat of filler and a coupla coats of undercoat and final coat or two of wrinkle finish.

Doesn't seem so bad when u say it like that.....

Frank

Hey Frank, I've been following this thread for months, eagerly awaiting your next post.

Just because it's "quiet" doesn't mean we're not interested.

I am personally in awe of your skill and dedication to your project,

and I'm sure that you will be greatly rewarded when it's finished with many years of enjoyment flying the virtual skies.

Thanx, Paul.

It's so nice to see some of the faces of the people that have been here for so long.

I must admit, that this site has changed my life.

I don't think there has been a day gone by in the last 3 to 4 years when I haven't been on this site.

I regularly sit down to breakfast, reading the forum here. I check each of the threads, I even do so, when on holidays, both here and abroad.

It's very addictive and I can see how people get very attached and follow threads for a long time.

Other sites I visit are very stagnant, but ORBX always has active, stimulating content and the guys and gals here are really a decent, top bunch of people.

With the demise of MS's Flight and the diminishing PC markets, I think we are seeing the end of an era, in computing and computing technologies.

Funny thing is, even with all the doom and gloom of the GFC, the cockpit builders market seems to be flourishing. Prices for parts are at an all time high.

Anyway, I have thought about how long this thread will run and hope it can continue until I have finished and flown the cockpit.

At this stage, I still have a planned date of Xmas in my head, but I am flexible with that, anyway.

So, my good friends, strap in, hang on, we'll see how long the journey lasts,

Frank

*eagerly posts the next set of photos*

Here's the original engravity wings with the attached rib for the FDS galrewings. Fair bit of measuring, tacking, gluing and fibreglassing gone on here..

Posted Image

I'm using a new resin, used in the boating industry. A real dream to use and easy on the clean-up.

Posted Image

Almost done glassing. Next stage is clean-up and painting.

Posted Image

Starting on the other side tomorrow. Want to have them finished and back on by early next week.

Posted Image

More to come....

Frank

Coupla quick pics, while my NZNI is downloading.

I doubt if I'm gonna get much done for the next few days.

I been flying the Queenstown to Auckland route, so now with NZNI, we'll have some pretty Auckland skyline, instead of the default.

Anyhow, I got to and did some filing and sanding and filling. here's a shot:

Posted Image

And I started on the other side as well:

Posted Image

Later, Kia Ora.........

Frank

Yeah, nice James. My server is set up the same way. That way, I get to fly my NGX, with all of the goodies, while spending all my money on the cockpit build.

Anyway, I been hard at it again.

I've got a coat of paint on my almost finished glarewings. It's just a first coat, but will have the wrinkle finish when it's done.

Here's the shot:

Posted Image

Second one is in the pipeline.

Then, on to the sidewalls.

I wanted to create the raceway covers. These are at the back of the sidewalls and cover all of the wiring in the aft of the cockpit.

Here's how they should look:

Posted Image

So, rather than make a cover, I've just integrated the texture of the fins into the sidewall floor.

I bought some wall moulding from my favourite hardware store and cut and measured 11 lengths (thats how many fins are in the real thing).

I then shaped them and glued them to the base. The mouldings cut to size:

Posted Image

final clean up on the sidewall in prep for the fibregalss covering, up next:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cutting and measuring:

Posted Image

Finished product:

Posted Image

Will just clean and sand these now and then I'll be ready to fibreglass the whole sidewall.

More to come....

Frank

Ok, the big job tomorrow. I've been cutting the glass matting for the entire right sidewall. it's gonna be a long, arduous task, getting it all glassed up in one go.

I may just try and do one face at a time. Will play it by ear.

I'll try and get some pics to give some clarity of the job at hand.

Frank

Archived