no runway "landing lights" in night ORBX Australia

RTK1972

Hey guys,

just ried a night landing in Cairns but wodnered that the runway fire is not showing up. the marker lights and everything else "on" the runway i can see but not the "moving lights" at the beginning of the runway. in PNW esp. KSEA this works fine...

Posted Image

Any help with it ?

Thanks a lot,

Carsten

Hi Carsten,

for support query's please be so kind and add your ordernumber(s) to your Sig as per forum rules.

Info on how to do that you can find here => http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/1157-important-notice-please-add-your-order-to-your-sig-for-support/

Also I have moved your post to the payware support forum

If you mean the sequenced strobe lights - or Lead-in Lights (they flash in a sequence toward and in the direction of the runway) - not all approach lighting setups have them. Some airports just have basic approach lighting systems with no lead in lights, others have even less than that.

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/ersa/FAC_YBCS_17-Nov-2011.pdf

This link takes you to the airport data as published in the AIP (a standardized ICAO document). On page 2, it shows the approach lighting available... Normally any strobes or lead-in lights would be mentioned here. As it is, it shows only a HIAL Cat 1 (High Intensity Approach Lights, Cat 1) for Rwy 15. The HIRL is the runway lighting. If lead in lights were also present, it would also mention LDIN on this page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approach_lighting_system

Seattle has a much more complex approach lighting system... it uses ALSF-2 and MALSR systems... these have sequenced flashing lights as standard... The link above gives the definition of the different systems...

http://www.americanflyers.net/aviationlibrary/instrument_flying_handbook/images/Chapters%208%20to%2012_img_62.jpg

The last link gives a few diagrams... not the best, but it gives you an idea of the differences between the systems.

Long story short, Cairns does not have an approach lighting systems which included sequenced flashing lights... it's just a basic setup.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Wolter.

Honestly i don't understand it in parts.

If Cairns has no "moving" approach lights, why do i see those poles for the lights in front of rwy 15 ?

And is it really normal that i can't even see any runway marking lights and so ? Everything seems to be dark. if i line up on the runway i can see the lights really small while on other airports (even bush airports) they are much bigger......

See here:

Posted Image

Thanks again,

Carsten

G'day Carsten,

The runway lighting system at Cairns is quite unique for an airport of it's size and prevalent weather (especially during the wet season), but as Rob has documented above, there are no strobing light systems on approach to either runway. When I was developing, I used a great youtube clip of a Cessna Caravan approaching at night as reference - have a look

In answer to your second point, yes the lighting system I used is a little different to some other airports (including default style airport lighting), and as such may not be what you are otherwise used to. If you are using any kind of ENB/Shader mods with your FSX setup, I'd suggest disabling these at night as they sometimes have undesirable effects outside of daylight hours.

Cheers,

Jarrad

Good morning Jarrad,

thanks for your post. I think i now understood the context ;-)

Cairns is my most favorite airport so everything i missed was a great shining and intense night approach system like the standard cairns fsx scenery has.

I definitely will try it again with disabled enbmod (this mod doesn't work good for me on cairns and pmdg aircraft at all).

Take care and have a good time !

Carsten

Archived