TIR5 & Buttkicker & 40"LCD for immersion?

Vonduck

Hi guys,

After a few years off i am wanting to return to simming but mainly with helicopters in ind this time... after just holidaying oin the Gold Coast we went for a chopper ride at sea-World and i was thoroughly impressed at the pilot skills and the agility of the Squirrel he was flying...

Anyhoo...

I am thinking of getting TIR5 along with the Buttkicker 2 and also a large good qaulity LCD TV for a monitor (40"?)... I've scanned the forums and beleive the TV is a good choice as it will be "in your face" type of thing... TIR5 i ma sure will be worth it but (no pun intended!) what about the Buttkicker? WOuld this add immmersion to the vibrations of the chopper etc?

Thansk for your help chaps and recommendations you may have with this... i only have one shot at this then no more dosh! LOL!

Doug

I would highly recommend TrackIR especially for heli-flying. When you are hovering or you want to do a vertical landing it helps a lot if you can just move your head. So its easier to fix something in order to calculate your velocity relative to this feature. I dont know if the buttkicker adds that lot immersion. I can imagine but dont know if it is worth the price.

Good luck with your project. I use trakir5 with a 46 inch LED TV on FSX, it rocks. I dont have a buttkicker (yet), but a freind has one installed on his car driving sim for both PC and PS3. The buttkicker creates an amazing shaking sensation and increses the sense of immersion. Make sure you do you research, and know that its all about the sound driving the vibrations, as appossed to forcefeedback etc. Example, my freinds driving sim and buttkicker combo makes great vibrations with engine noise. However, all the good shaking occurs during idle, as its got alot of base, but we get little vibration when the car is raceing hard at high revs. The sensation of vibration as you cross a ripple strip is dissapointing and almost non existant, because the sound was not programmed with a lot of Base when the game was made. As for FSX, DOLBY sounds etc, im sure it will rock. Hope that helps you with some more insight. Cheers.

Thats good to know matthew and thanks for sharing that info about Buttkicker...

All the reviews online seem to indicate is good for FSX and other sims and as you have rightly stated works very well when deep rumbling is playing...

Can i ask a question about your TV please? Is there a specific type of TV is hsould look for? If i am sitting about 2 - 3 feet form the screen would i notice any pixels?

Thanks mate!

DOug

A 30-inch monitor running 2456 x 1600 resolution has twice as many pixels as the best TV resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels for 1080p). Since the resolution does not increase (the pixels are just bigger with a big TV) at 2-3 ft you will see the pixels. So you might need to choose a smaller screen if you want to sit up close. But each to his own. Some people prefer the impact of a big TV and are happy to trade off image quality.

Cheers,

Noel.

Can i ask a question about your TV please? Is there a specific type of TV is hsould look for? If i am sitting about 2 - 3 feet form the screen would i notice any pixels?

I used a 40" 1080p TV for a while, sitting at about 3 feet. It worked great, but there was a definite trade-off. It's not like I could actually see individual pixels, but everything looked a bit fuzzy and I decided my three 19" (4:3) screens were better.

Matthew your friend has the Sound configured in correctly for racing then if what you say is correct , I run several Race Simulations and they all provide massive feedback from the ripple strips and gravel etc as well as that from the FFB Steering Wheel and the buttkicker, make sure he has the frequency filter and Amplifier in the BK set for the sounds he wishes to have activate it, IE the Sub Woofer and Centre Channel is what is and should be fed to the Buttkicker.

Track IR is a MUST HAVE for Helo Ops and if the Sub freq's are being fed to the BK you will feel things like rotor slap etc, touchdowns skid scrapes and so on. well worth the cost IMHO.

Hi Doug. I am into Helicopters also. I highly recommend 3 x 24" Monitors vs the 40" TV. Regardless of size, the addition of the 2 extra gives you side views that cannot be attained with a single unit regardless of size. I use 2 x 24" as a single monitor and adding a 3rd soon. Saving for 3 x 27" monitors that will be running 2560 x 1400 each. High pixel count equals crystal clear viewing. The extra peripheral vision gained aids greatly in hovering and landing. I also have track ir but it is no substitute for peripheral vision, especially when hovering. The extra 2 monitor effect cannot be understated. Fixed wing flying is a different situation as the two extra monitors are not as essential, and a bigger single monitor is a must. When you hover you focus on a fixed location, and your eyes scan the side vs head movement ie: track ir. Believe me, 3 x monitors are the way to go for helicopter flying. Think of this 3 x 24" monitors equals 60" of diagonal bliss vs 40" of viewable glory. Search 2560 x 1600 verses 1920 x 1080 and you will get a good idea how pixel count wins visually.

I used a 40" 1080p TV for a while, sitting at about 3 feet. It worked great, but there was a definite trade-off. It's not like I could actually see individual pixels, but everything looked a bit fuzzy and I decided my three 19" (4:3) screens were better.

+1 It's not just about size, as the saying goes. IMO far better to get a smaller monitor with more pixels and higher quality display and view from a closer distance. I have a 1920x1200 24" monitor that I view from about 24" and it's amazing!

I use 37" Vizio TV for my PC setup... For some reason, my FSX graphics options menus don't give me the full 1080p resolution (1600 x 1080) as a selectable option, so I use a lower res of 1360 x 768 for FSX.

Again, if I squint, I can see individual pixels, but if you add some anti-aliasing via the drivers for your graphics card, those visible pixels become hardly noticeable. Plus at a lower res, FSX gets a few more FPS too.

The only real issue with using a TV that I have had is that TVs will only allow a few choices for resolution... if my desktop is not set to one of the supported resolutions, the TV says "no signal" and I can't do a thing. It's handy to have a cheap, perhaps old monitor handy if that happens.

In any case with anti-aliasing, even at the relatively "low" resolution of 1360x768, I'm having no issues at all with a big screen... One of the best upgrades I ever decided to get!

Thanks so much guys for the input... there is definately 2 sets of opinions here... for me i can handle the lower res and sharp AA to 'deaden' the pixels if you like but having 3 monitors for peropheral vision for chopper flying may be the go... i'll check out Youtube again to see what they look like...

One thing i am worried about using 3 screens is the sides of the monitors getting in the way of the view... the big black bits may not be real?? Whats the verdict on that or are they not noticable during flight?

Cheers

Doug

Ok that does look impressive indeed and the edges of the screens dont seem to be too much of a hinderance eh... 3 x 24" is affordable to me about $1500.00NZD so looking good...

Thanks for all the input... now one other question, is the GTX590 the card to get or the Radeon equivelant?

Both look awesome!

Cheers once again

Doug

Ok that does look impressive indeed and the edges of the screens dont seem to be too much of a hinderance eh... 3 x 24" is affordable to me about $1500.00NZD so looking good...

Thanks for all the input... now one other question, is the GTX590 the card to get or the Radeon equivelant?

Both look awesome!

Cheers once again

Doug

G'day Doug,

Fwiw I am running three LG 27'' screens on a vanilla GTX590 (no overclock) using 270.61 drivers at 5760 x1080 res, (what bezels?) and feel as good as a pig in mud when I 'fly'. Also on another PC I run two GTX560ti's on a factory 800 OC in surround driving three 22" Lg screens and it is also a pleasure to use.

Ah ha! Thanks Hotspot... thats just the advice i need to hear... a GTX 590 can run 3 monitors on its pwn... i was looking at 3 x 27" monitors at a reaosnalbe price (up form the 24")

Any chance of a screenie as to how your setup looks?

Much appreciate my friend!

Doug

There are Multi monitor capable graphics cards BUT they do not as far as I am aware have the same sort of desktop management that the TH2GO allows.

A sneaky trick is to place the outside monitors at an angle behind the centre one resulting in one bezel width.

There are Multi monitor capable graphics cards BUT they do not as far as I am aware have the same sort of desktop management that the TH2GO allows.

A sneaky trick is to place the outside monitors at an angle behind the centre one resulting in one bezel width.

Maurice, the GTX590 and the GTX460's and the GTX570's and the GTX560ti's, all of which I have up and running in 'Surround' have bezel management the same as the Th2Go which I have ditched. But I take your point, I don't use bezel management and simply angle the side screens slightly behind the main to halve the bezel size, and in any case they become unnoticeable after 30 seconds - as I said - what bezels? ;D

Very tricky indeed about hiding the bezels! Never thought of that... and i guess the angle would be trial and error to get the best view so its not distorted...?

Looks like the GTX590 is the choice to go with along with 3x27" screens angled for immersion...

Appreciate all the help chaps... invaluable!

Doug

Doug let us know how you make out. I am upgrading my rig for 3 x 27" this spring if all goes well in my business this winter. I think 3 x 27" is the sweet spot for immersion for helicopters pending finances. I seen some set ups via internet where curved screens with projectors are used. But bang for buck, 27's x 3 = almost 70" viewable. If that not immersion bliss, I do not know what is. Also, as a side note, flying single seater planes such as a Bird Dog using the wide view, you get to see a lot more port and starboard views verses what is attained via one big monitor / tv. You will find flying helicopters with the wider view a real treat. One last point. Flying nap of the earth using the beautiful Orbx sceneries, with the wide view, get a real sensation of speed. Orbx has some nice out of the way hard to land on heli pads also.

I use 3 X 21.5" AOC's got 'em on sale for $110 each . Real good when you buy 10 at a time and sell them on.

these are fed from a GTX9800 and analogue TH2GO at 3840 X 1024 the angle I have mine on is about 30 Deg back from the centre effectively halves the Bezel width. Do a search for Fresnell lenses and colimated display's this can turn a 24" monitor into a 30" or more and have NO bezels due to the way fresnell's work :) .

I have seen a Digital TH2GO driving 3 40" supposed HD TV's and it was shocking. the 2 reasons for this was the TV's weren't of sufficient Resolution for the physical size and the Ghosting due to low refresh 8-10 Ms

Thanks Bill , I didn't know if there was any sort of desktop management available for that sort of set up. but given that the Eyefinity has management available, I had assumed there was but wasn't sure.

I know what you mean about the bezels, I used to use 3 X 20 " CRT's and they had a HUGE blank space as a result in between.

But even so you fly or race for a bit and your brain make up for the difference. :)

Very tricky indeed about hiding the bezels! Never thought of that... and i guess the angle would be trial and error to get the best view so its not distorted...?

Looks like the GTX590 is the choice to go with along with 3x27" screens angled for immersion...

Appreciate all the help chaps... invaluable!

Doug

The angle is no drama, but I find that the approximate distance from your eye to the centre of each screen being equal is best for me.

Also don't ignore the possibility of using two GTX580's - they run at a higher clock than the 590 and may be better, but I haven't tried them yet.

Hmmm... i can see a second mortgage coming up with these suggestions! :wacko: Then again... i dont own a house so maybe a bigger overdraft! ::)

I'll post some screenies once the thing is built and we are all up and running...

Cheers all

Doug

• 7 years later...

Archived