KVBS - PAPI & VASI

cfelix

I also have no lights at KBVS. I took a screenshot approaching R10 and you can clearly see the elevation issue that has been brought up in another thread. Perhaps the two are related?

Hi Dean,

I wish they were but I don't think so. I don't have the cliff and I don't have the VASI lights either.

Stiletto2

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have found the misplaced VASI lights for rwy 28-10. They are misaligned about 50 degrees and one pair is hidden in the woods in the middle of the airport ( rwy 10 ). The other set is placed beside a road just north of the field with the other under a set of animated trees next to the airport.

Hope this can help to solve the corrupted APX file.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am not using the magnetic variation tweak and don't have the VASI lights. Also, I notice h3pilot has posted in another thread that he cannot see the PAPI lights at the newly released 74S. I cannot see the PAPI lights at the new 74S either. Wonder if these two things are connected.

Stiletto2

I am not using the magnetic variation tweak and don't have the VASI lights. Also, I notice h3pilot has posted in another thread that he cannot see the PAPI lights at the newly released 74S. I cannot see the PAPI lights at the new 74S either. Wonder if these two things are connected.

Stiletto2

Just as a data point in troubleshooting,

I DO have VASI at KBVS on RWY 28 and 10

I DO NOT have the PAPI lights at 74S on RWY 36 or 18

I am not using the magnetic variation tweak and don't have the VASI lights.

Well there goes another theory down the drain. This is so frustrating. Those lights are stock standard FSX ones placed within the APX file. They are set up within the APX runway system in the same way that the standard runway lights and surface markings are. Why they work properly on some systems and not others really does have me stumped.

The situation with 74S is quite different in that there are no VASI/PAPI lights placed there at the moment. The APX ones would not line up with the light boxes so they will have to be custom built - a complex and time consuming task that did not justify holding up the release of the airport for another 2 or more weeks.

FYI - I loaded the APX into ADE to see if I could adjust the VASI heading in the runway settings to get them aligned. No matter what heading I entered, after compiling the new bgl the lights stayed right where Mike found them.

There is obviously something else driving this situation, it's just a matter of finding what that could be. We need to find the common thread between the few sytems with this issue. Looking at screenshots and videos of KBVS, it would seem this problem is limited to a small number of installations. I'm not sure if that is helpful as I think it would be easier to find the cause if it were more widespread.

HI Mike

Another thing that puzzles me with this airport(KBVS). I get the FSX crash when I exit and the cause is: ai_player.dll and this only happens when I fly at KBVS ??

HI Mike,

look here,think is a prob whit fsx..........

http://www.google.com/webhp#sclient=psy-ab&hl=de&site=webhp&source=hp&q=ai_player.dll+crash&pbx=1&oq=ai_player.dll&aq=1vL&aqi=g-L1g-vL3&aql=1&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=0l0l1l5239l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=92c543fc27e2586b&biw=1920&bih=890

I think you guys have a duplicate APX , but perhaps it is not named normally so you can't find it using normal searches. Duplicate APX can cause CTDs and obviously messed up airport features.

One way to fault find is to turn off all scenery via the scenery check boxes in the FSX Scenery Library Menu and only turn on the scenery you want to check. and methodocally turn on and off scenery.

I keep trying various things also but so far haven't figured out why a subset of users can't see the VASI lights at KBVS. If we don't find the reason, I am hoping ORBX doesn't use this style of VASI lighting for other airports. I am also hoping they can write an alternate KBVS APX for those of us that can't see the VASI lights under this style.

Stiletto2

You guys not seeing the lights, are you using nvidia inspector profiles? I've had similar PAPI/VASI issues at other payware airports like FSDT's KDFW. The PAPI would finally show up at a certain altitude. Anyway, about the profiles, some settings with AA (usually MSAA) cause odd lighting effects, disappearing lights, etc.

I am hoping ORBX doesn't use this style of VASI lighting for other airports. I am also hoping they can write an alternate KBVS APX for those of us that can't see the VASI lights under this style.

Stiletto2

This style of VASI light is already in use at a number of other FTX airports plus a thousand or more FSX default airports. This issue seems to be confined to a few systems and appears to be limited to KBVS airport. Unfortunately, I think the solution to this is going to have to come from one of those not seeing the lights as those of us with the lights working as they should are trying to find a non existing problem. That doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. it is just not present on those systems.

Interesting Graham, thanks for your response. I figured that when we were sent to a default FSX airport to see if we could see those lights that there were no other similar implementations in FTX. Is there another airport in NA that uses that style...I have them all? If it is just an issue at KBVS then not such a big problem if we can't solve it....

Stiletto2

You guys not seeing the lights, are you using nvidia inspector profiles? I've had similar PAPI/VASI issues at other payware airports like FSDT's KDFW. The PAPI would finally show up at a certain altitude. Anyway, about the profiles, some settings with AA (usually MSAA) cause odd lighting effects, disappearing lights, etc.

I do use nVidia Inspector. However, I turned of all of the settings in both profiles and, unfortunately, the VASI lights at KBVS still don't show up for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Stiletto2

Yes, the lights are there. If you approach from the bay side you can see the VASI lights for rwy 10 on a heading of 055. So it seems they are offset by 45 degrees. Also trying to delete the APX file the VASI show up in line with the rwy on the left side but too far away from the VASI boxes.

Hi Graham,

I have no problem seeing the VASI lights at KHQM and KCMW so I guess the problem for my system is pretty localized at KBVS. Unlike Mike, I cannot find any VASI lights offset in any direction in the area of KBVS. This is surely a mystery as to why those VASI lights at KBVS are not visible on my system even when I turn all other addon sceneries off in the Scenery Library. I guess for me, the VASI lights at KBVS will just be temporarily inoperative.....

Stiletto2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still trying to find a solution for the VASI problem. I completely removed FSX and all of my addons. I then installed FSX (sp1 & sp2) on a new SSD. I then installed NA Blue and KBVS (no other addons). I also did a clean reinstal of the newest nvidia drivers. After all of this I still don`t have any VASI lights at KBVS. Any other ideas of what the problem might be?

• 2 weeks later...

Solution found to the missing and/or misplaced VASI lights:

It requires FSX Acc pack!!!!!!!!!!

Last weekend i succeeded in installing FSX Acc pack after I had uninstalled SP2. I just installed on top of my current FSX install and then moved some new scenery areas down lower in the library.

My FSX stability has even improved and today I discovered that the VASI lights at Skagit are in the right place. I can see in this thread and also by talking to users online that all with the VASI light problem have FSX with SP2 only. None with Acc pack have this issue...................

That is a great find but I think it poses some new questions. If Acceleration is required for the VASI lights to work at Skagit, why are those same VASI lights working at other airports when Acceleration is not installed. Perhaps there was an issue with KBVS in the base FSX system which Microsoft rectified with Acceleration. I doubt if we will ever fully understand the workings of FSX!

I would be interested in hearing from others who are missing the VASI lights to see if they have FSX Acceleration istalled.

That is a great find but I think it poses some new questions. If Acceleration is required for the VASI lights to work at Skagit, why are those same VASI lights working at other airports when Acceleration is not installed. Perhaps there was an issue with KBVS in the base FSX system which Microsoft rectified with Acceleration. I doubt if we will ever fully understand the workings of FSX!

I would be interested in hearing from others who are missing the VASI lights to see if they have FSX Acceleration istalled.

My VASI lights do not work at Skagit....I do not have Acceleration Pack installed. If this idea turns out to be true, then that is good news since it would be possible for ORBX to test KBVS VASI directly on a system without Acceleration Pack installed.

Stiletto2

Hi Mike,

Great find. When you removed SP2 and then installed Acceleration over your existing installation, did you also have to change out your version of SDK? If Graham and the rest of the FTX crew can't find another answer for this strange problem soon, I guess I'll give your solution a try since I already have the Gold Edition disk set.

Hi Mike,

Great find. When you removed SP2 and then installed Acceleration over your existing installation, did you also have to change out your version of SDK? If Graham and the rest of the FTX crew can't find another answer for this strange problem soon, I guess I'll give your solution a try since I already have the Gold Edition disk set.

I was concerned too about "breaking" something when installing Xpack but I had no problems at all. First I did a complete backup of my FSX folders.Then delete SP2 in your control panel and install Xpack right after without restarting and then run FSX. All of your addon dll's have to be accepted again when told. Xpack installs some new scenery areas to the top of your scenery library which you should move down below the orbx stuff and you are good to go.

Archived