KVBS - PAPI & VASI

cfelix

The PAPI & VASI lights are not visible on approach. Also, since I installed this scenery I get a CTD when exiting FSX.

Charlie Felix

Order Number: FSS0130791 - [ORB-064] Orbx - FTX: NA KBVS Skagit Regional

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are what you should see at the 3 airports in this region. KORS has white over red and the others have red over white. I was wondering if this is correct. Any way..

I have noticed I get FSX CTDs when I load programs that are not correctly loaded. I just recently reloaded FSX and had to reload all my payware A/C as they caused CTD when trying to start. Same with a couple of scenery areas.

Posted Image

I also own KORS & KHQM. The approach lighting works fine at these airports. At KBVS I can see the VASI boxes on the ground for runways 10/28 but they do not put out any light that can be seen on approach. Also, AirNav.com says that there are PAPI lights for runways 4/22 but I do not even see the boxes on the ground for these. Is there a texture or other setting that might be causing this on my computer? Thanks.

Hi Charlie,

Hugh is away for a few days and can best speak for KBVS lighting, though I know it is a struggle sometimes to replicate real world lighting that actually behaves like real world lighting...i.e visibility

Could you describe the CTD you get a bit more?

@Wayne

For KHQM I studied the Airnav website and tweaked the default APX lighting to suit as best as I could, not a RL pilot but I seem to remember the saying 'red over white, everything is alright'

Tim, Hugh & Glenn,

Thanks for your questions. below are sections responding to each of you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim,

Regarding the CTD, a consistently repeatable sequence for me is to:

• Start FSX
  • Select default 172 aircraft and KBVS parking location #1,
  • Once loaded, go to spot view and do a 360 degree view of the aircraft
  • CTRL+C to exit, click "Yes"
  • After about 30 seconds I get the "Mircrosoft Fight Simulator has stopped working" message with the following problem details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61472.0

Application Timestamp: 475e17d3

Fault Module Name: ai_player.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.61472.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 475e180c

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000364f9

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

It also happens at KCMW, but does not happen at KORS, KHQM or any other default, payware or freeware airports that I tried.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hugh,

I'm sorry but I can't figure out how to upload a picture but what I see when landing is the approach lighting boxes for runway 10/28 with no light coming from them during day or night (no boxes on 4/22). I've tried it with all entries in the control panel ON (trees-animated, grass-dense, PF&Traffic&Grass-checked) and with all entries OFF, but no change to the problem under either setup. The approach lights work fine KORS, KHQM and other airports.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glenn,

These are the scalar entries in my CFG file:

[Display]

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.8

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.9

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.2

As far as I know, I have never modified these.

There is definitely a VASI22 placed at each end of the main runway in the APX provided with KBVS. The VASI is a FSX default one and is clearly visible on my system plus a couple of others I have looked at. The only thing I can think of that could be suppressing your VASI is the possible presence of an alternative APX on you system. Could you check that please.

Graham,

What is an "APX" and where would I look to find if there are any alternative ones on my system. I can see the physical VASI boxes on the edge of runway 10/28, they just seem to be turned-off. Thanks

The APX or AFCAD is the file which contains all the underlying infrastructure for an airport in FSX. It contains the runway, taxiways, parking, ATC comms, etc. for the airport. Lighting can be provided within the APX or as a separate effect. In the examples above, the VASI lights for KORS are attached to the VASI box scenery items however for KBVS, the VASI boxes are merely unlit scenery items with the light effect coming from the APX.

In order for me to determine if this issue is related to your FSX install, could you please check the airport KAPV, Apple Valley and see if you have visible VASI lights on runway 18 or 36. This airport should be a stock standard FSX default airport with exactly the same VASI lighting setup as KBVS.

I note your home airport KSBP also has the same VASI setup. You may like to check that one as well.

Once you report back on that, we can determine the next step.

Graham,

Thanks for the explanation. I was famiiar with the term AFCAD and had not heard the term APX applied to that function.

I tried the VASI & PAPI lights at KAPV (what and ugly place!) and they are visible and seem to work fine. The only strange things that I noticed is that there are no "boxes" on the ground associated with them and the lighted balls just disappeared as I came abeam of them while taxing down the runway (to be expected I guess because the lights are not omni-directional). I have a a very nice version of KSBP and other central CA coast airports that were done by Al Wheeler so they may not be a good test. Thanks for your help.

Don’t worry about the ‘boxes’, they are just a scenery item and have no actual connection to the functionality of the lights. The VASI lights at KVBS are just ‘floating’ lights similar to those at KAPV, they just create the illusion they are attached as they are placed close to the ‘boxes’.

Now we have ascertained the effect is working, we need to find why the same effect is not working at KVBS.

Do you have any AI programs such as MyTraffic X or Ultimate Traffic 2 installed? Some of these packages have their own APX files which could overwrite the FTX one.

Hi Graham,

After reading this topic, I went back to KBVS and looked. Yep, the VASI lights are not on for me either. I then checked KAPV and they are on there. Uploaded your APX file and replaced the one in the ORBX KBVS folder....still no joy.

Until I looked, I hadn't noticed the missing VASI lights at KBVS. I am willing to bet there are a lot more KBVS users who also can't see them either but haven't noticed yet.

Stiletto2

Graham,

I tried the new APX but the VASI for 10 & 28 were still blank.

BTW - When I tried the new file it was under dawn conditions and I noticed landing lights in the taxiways entering 10 and 28 (see photo). Are these correct?

Posted Image

I’ve adjusted just about every setting I can think of on my system and I cannot make the VASI lights disappear. The VASI lights at KVBS are stock standard FSX ones with no special conditions so should be visible on all systems without exception. It is clear though that something is suppressing them on some systems and it is difficult to determine what without access to those particular systems.

I will continue to look at this issue but am not very confident of discovering a solution. Perhaps we may need to create a custom VASI light setup for release with a service pack.

Thanks for all your help. The only add-on that I have that I thought might affect these lights is Shockwave Lights. I know that it changed the Halo.bmp file so I restored the original but no joy. It may have made other changes that I am not aware of. Also, I notice that if you look at the lenses on the VASI box very closely you can see that tthe three balls are slightly colored (on Rwy 10 - yellow on the left box and white on the right). Is it possible that you used a transparency on these lenses that may appear opaque on some systems? Another thought, is it possible that this is related in anyway to the CTD problem that some of us are having on exiting FSX while at this location?

Hi Graham,

Just to be complete I checked out KSBP also. I can see the VASI lights there fine also. I also disabled all of the add on scenery on my system excpet for PNW, KBVS and ORBXLIBS....still no VASI lights at KBVS. So the question is....what does the APX at KAPV and KSBP have in it that make the VASI lights work on my system but the KBVX APX does not....

Also, I don't have any CTD problems with exiting KBVS.

Certainly willing to check out anything else you would like since I like to debug things.

Stiletto2

Could those of you not seeing the VASI lights at KBVS please advise if you have Shockwave lights installed. If you have FTX Bowerman installed could you also check the VASI lights there please.

I don't have Shockwave lights installed. I can see the VASI Lights at Bowerman....no problem.

Stiletto2

Hugh, I turned off the APX file and managed to get the VASI lights on but they were in the wrong position. Tried Graham's APX file and no lights again. Also had a crash on every exit from FSX.

Here are the pictures with the APX file off:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Mike. That last shot looks like the rwy 10 approach and only has two single VASI lights. I've set up two single lights for rwy 28 but I'm not aware of any APX files that have two singles at rwy 10. The default APX has 2 x 2 at each end. Would you be able to provide a couple more shots of rwy 10 so I can confirm this please.

Do you have any idea where that secondary APX data is coming from?

Correct Graham. Last shot is rwy 10. Also see rwy 4 has double edge lights on the left side?

Cannot post picture before after 1800 GMT tonight.

As for other APX files: I have MTX Lite installed and NA OZX which I have disabled to avoid the "hill" at rwy 10.

Then there is a 'phantom' APX file coming from somewhere and this may be the source of the problem. I've checked the two Orbx APX files (the basic one with PNW and the one installed with KBVS) plus the FSX default one and none has VASI lights on runway 4 or 22. There must be another APX file for KBVS still active on your system. Do you think you can locate it and see where it may have come from?

Here is some more info that might help:

I get the same results as Michael when turning off the KBVS APX...however, when I move the clock up to daytime it becomes very obvious that the VASI lights are 2 x 2 on both sides. The runway lights were masking the other two VASI lights on runway 10 and because two of the lights overlap the runway you have to move laterally a bit to pick them up or they get obscured even in the daylight. Bottom line they are 2 x 2 on both sides. Also, I have no VASI lights showing up on RWY 4 or 22. Since they seem to act just like the PNW default VASI lights for KBVS I tried one other thing.

Keeping the KBVS APX file off, I took identical shots of RWY 28 VASI lights with KBVS scenery turned off in the library and turned on in the library. The VASI lights were in the exact same spot on both shots.

So it would seem that conflicting APX file might be the file that is displaying the default VASI lights at KBVS with PNW loaded but without Hugh's KBVS scenery loaded.

I could verify that if I knew what file needs to be turned off to stop the VASI lights from showing up at KBVS in stock PNW without Hugh's KBVS loaded.

Hope this helps.

Stiletto2

Archived