KVBS - PAPI & VASI

cfelix

I tried Mike's suggestion to remove SP2 and add Acceleration and it did work. I now have working VASIs at KBVS. However, on closer inspection I found that the lights appear suspended above the VASI boxes (see attachments). Is this how it should look?

Runway 10:

Posted Image

Runway 28:

Posted Image

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here. VASI lights are not visible on approach to RW 10 or 28. While flying around the pattern I did notice the lights appear to be off in the trees. Looks like they are misaligned to the runway (both sets rotated about 30 degrees off). Hope that makes sense.

Anyway. Beautiful scenery. I'm having a blast!

• 1 month later...

Now that the end of year rush is over, it is time to revisit this problem that is not yet solved and now getting worse.

On my SP2 (no Acceleration) system, 0S9 has the PAPI lights displaced several hundred feet to the right and I can't get tri color lights at S43 to show up. So it looks like this glide slope light problem with systems that don't have Acceleration installed is going to keep showing up.

Has anyone from ORBX tried testing without Acceleration installed to see how to fix this?

Need your help ORBX....

Stiletto2

• 4 weeks later...

Any luck (fix) for non-Acc? I have no l PAPI either. Just noticed this.

Hi Flash828,

I would guess (only a guess based on every example I have found so far) that everyone who does not have Acceleration has this problem. It comes down to one of the following..

1. The ORBX customer has Acceleration and they don't have an issue.

2. The ORBX customer doesn't have Accelerartion but don't have one of the affected products (KBVS,0S9, or S43) so they don't have a problem.

3. The ORBX customer doesn't have Acceleration, does have one of the affected products but doesn't really pay attention to the lights.

4. The ORBX customer doesn't have Acceleration, does have one of the affected products and does pay attention to the PAPI/VASI Lights

It is only category 4 that knows they have a problem(probably not that many) and so far, most of the documented cases above have simply added Acceleration. You probably need to do the same. It seems to be easy to do based on the method documented earlier in this thread.

I also believe it is a good idea, because, clearly ORBX developers/testers are all using systems with Acceleration. Taking out SP2 and adding Acceleration will keep you from experiencing potential problems in the future that the ORBX developers don't see because they have Acceleration.

Bottom Line: FSX + SP2 is not the same and has some differences from FSX + Acceleration. You too will become a believer once you put in Acceleration and see all of the PAPI/VASI lights instantly work properly at KBVS,0S9, and S43.

Just my two cents.

Stiletto2

4. The ORBX customer doesn't have Acceleration, does have one of the affected products and does pay attention to the PAPI/VASI Lights

It is only category 4 that knows they have a problem(probably not that many) and so far, most of the documented cases above have simply added Acceleration. You probably need to do the same. It seems to be easy to do based on the method documented earlier in this thread.

I also believe it is a good idea, because, clearly ORBX developers/testers are all using systems with Acceleration. Taking out SP2 and adding Acceleration will keep you from experiencing potential problems in the future that the ORBX developers don't see because they have Acceleration.

Bottom Line: FSX + SP2 is not the same and has some differences from FSX + Acceleration. You too will become a believer once you put in Acceleration and see all of the PAPI/VASI lights instantly work properly at KBVS,0S9, and S43.

Just my two cents.

Stiletto2

I rather not install it.. wish there was a patch instead

• 1 year later...

Checking in a year after the other posts...  I notice that the missing runway lights are fixed for KWYS.  See the post here: 

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/50123-kwys-yellowstone-papi-vasi-lights

Are there any plans for fixing this issue in KBVS?  It sounds like the solution is just a matter of recompiling the airport using the SP2 SDK instead of the Acceleration SDK.  

Michael

• 2 years later...

So it's been 5 years since this issue came up. I for one have SP2 and a lot of ORBX scenery. Is this going to be addressed for SP2 users? I have the problem now and Acc Pack can be difficult to come by.

I'd like to know if anyone has the VASI working using KBVS and SP2.

Thanks,

-Matt

So I guess if I'm an owner (and just to make sure we understand each other, that means "ORBX paying customer") I'm SOL when it comes to dishing out money for KBVS. 

So what is ORBX's official policy here for people that have purchased KBVS and have this problem?

I've payed a hell of a lot of money to ORBX with all their scenery add-on's + airports and I'm really disappointed that I haven't even been responded to for this issue. Is there or is there not a fix for this? Are ORBX developers going to address this for users of SP2 or not?

On 7/15/2016 at 11:28 PM, Penzoil3 said:

Yes, I understand about the thread age. However it does bubble to the top of the list once it's touched, so that was my exception. After reading my response it would have been ideal to wait before posting. Posting angry is like going to the grocery store hungry. Either situation turns out bad.

My concern with Acceleration is the fact that it has to be activated. This late in the game with FSX it's a valid concern. If you get a used - or even new for that matter - AP then there's a chance you can't get it activated and MS doesn't support FSX anymore. (At least that's what I've found doing my own research into the AP purchase and issues) I suspect it's really a roll of the dice at this point.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and taking time to get the Amazon and ebay URL's for me.

It would be prudent for ORBX as a business to determine if this can be fixed for SP2 or not, then let potential customers know that. 

Again, thanks for the input.

-Matt

Archived