which defrag program do the developers use

Ken Hall

After trying to improve performance I believe that after hearing people say that reinstalling all there stuff from scratch improves performance, is there not a descent defrag program which will sort the files as in a fresh install. I have tried auslogic, and ultimate defrag, even the default microsoft version, alas I cant improve enough to really enjoy YMML other than hovering around in the chopper, which I enjoy, but need just a little bit more to make it smooth enough to fly into, I have vista ultimate 64 quad 6600 overclocked to 3 gig 4 gig ddr2 ram( 1066), latest drivers 177.79.

which defrag program do the developers use?? I figure if anyone knows you guys should.

cheers

One pass only of Space if you are using Version 10, then two passes Complete/Name.

Reboot after every pass.

He prefers 8.5 but it is hard to get, and is not a trial download only v10.  Nick says the Space algorithm actually leaves a gap between blocks which is then filled by the program - and that makes for slower rather than smoother running.

I use v10, made only the first Space, and have been using Complete/Name since.

Use at least once a week, but if like me you are an addict, fly every night, test aircraft and YMML together and separately, take fun little flights from Tooradin to Tyabb, Lilydale to Penfield, or YBCG to Southport or one of the Fraser Island strips, and I am sure that you have got many of these.  That's without at least two heavy flights a week, in the LDS767, Wilco airbus, or PMDG 747 and of course Carenado Mooney out of Friday Harbour - then it means a more frequent defrag is needed.

If Sue is addicted, then I need treatment in an FSX detox clinic!

My PC is on 24/7 and I have several scripts that run doing the house keeping, O&O Defrag 10 runs a Space every 30 Days followed by a Name every 15 Days and Access nightly. accross 5 Hd's totalling some 2 Tb of storage, since I have used O&O Software products I have NOT had a HD fail either electronically (storage wise) or Mechanically. I put this down to the fact the PC is NEVER turned off and remains at operating temperature at all times, thereby not being subject to thermal stress and potential for condensation (especially in cooler climates) and thus corrosion.

I clean the case, Cooling Fans and Heat sinks every 14 Days with an Air compressor keeping things spotless.

Further to my system the Air pumped through the case is around 85CFM keeping the internal Case Temperature at around 25-28 Degrees and the actual Processor at around 40 as reported by the on board sensors.

Defraging is but one part of what should be a regular maintainance schedule.

O&O Defrag, complete/name on my Scenery drive after every install, on my FSX Drive every 4 days or so (as I use the occasional texture swapping program), complete/name on my apps drive and stealth/space on my OS drive, as there are too many locked files that a name run can't move.

It seems to keep things well in order for me :).

One pass only of Space if you are using Version 10, then two passes Complete/Name.

Reboot after every pass.

He prefers 8.5 but it is hard to get, and is not a trial download only v10.  Nick says the Space algorithm actually leaves a gap between blocks which is then filled by the program - and that makes for slower rather than smoother running.

I use v10, made only the first Space, and have been using Complete/Name since.

Use at least once a week, but if like me you are an addict, fly every night, test aircraft and YMML together and separately, take fun little flights from Tooradin to Tyabb, Lilydale to Penfield, or YBCG to Southport or one of the Fraser Island strips, and I am sure that you have got many of these.  That's without at least two heavy flights a week, in the LDS767, Wilco airbus, or PMDG 747 and of course Carenado Mooney out of Friday Harbour - then it means a more frequent defrag is needed.

If Sue is addicted, then I need treatment in an FSX detox clinic!

I thought we all fly every night ? Doesn't everybody, umm have to, need to, must fly, mumble, fly, mumble...FLY! Doesn't everyone have 5 different sims on their computer ?

;D LOL

Sue

Everyone here seems to use O&O, so just to be different ......

I use Ultimate Defrag for a few good reasons.

1. It allows you to put your most used applications on the outside of the disk next to the File Allocation Table. I have FSX followed by XP out there. This is the fasteset rotation area of the HD giving the quickest retrieval.

2. Files rarely used are automatically archived on the slowest part of the HD

3. Cost me $AU19

Every defrag app seems to dribble the best features and performs amazing defrags but for me I think it just comes down to your choice and how well the program is patched/supported along with $$$ costs. All defrag programs offer up different things but break that down you would think that someone would place together the best program using all the best features from the ones currently on the market but they don't. Yes I use a defrag program that is commercial but no point is saying what I use because it's a personal choice and suits my needs and my choice may well be someone else's  lemon..........

Go download them all most have a months free trial before they no longer have the full workings so test yourself and see what is best for your needs.

Although I use O&O defrags regularly, I've never seen any analysis of the actual impact on running FSX. Files only get fragmented if they are being written to the disk, and I would have thought most FSX scenery files would be read-only, i.e. once they have been defragged once they should not fragment again. Is my assumption correct?

Also, how much time-critical disk access goes on during a flight? I'd expect that scenery ahead of the what is currently visible would be buffered into memory ahead of when it is required, but maybe that's not how the program works.

Greg

At the end of the day not the defrag proggy is the thing to keep your system fast and crisp, it's a combination of things of wich keeping a tidy ship is the most important.

As for fsX, self limitation is one of the key things, of course you can install every thing that is available out there, but at the end of the day your system needs to be able to read it all fast enough to have a decent performance, if you for example only fly in Australia, there is no need to load all the other scenery where your not flying, if there is a number of Aircraft that you are not using, move 'm to a backup folder, this also saves loading and reaction times as the system just doesn't need the extra time to search through those files as well in vain.

I too use Ultimate Defrag.  Just upgraded to the latest version - Ultimate Defrag 2008.  It was really quick compared to other defrag programmes I have used, including the older version of Ultimate Defrag.  There are a lot of reviews on the internet that speak highly of the software. So far quite good for me.

I've been using ultimate defrag since it first came out and have it on three computers, with mainly good results eg. FS9 on an eight month old 17" (Vista) laptop; FS9 on a 3Ghz 5yo (XP) desktop; and FSX and FS9 on separate drives of my eighteen month old 'mean machine' (Vista) recently upgraded as per specs below but with original HDDs.

My problem with it is on the main drive of the meany - which unfortunately has the Vista OS as well as FSX on that drive. It has struck a limitation in that (according to Distrix) some of the Vista files can't be moved and they interfere with optimum defrag -the result in my case being that the FSX/OS drive is now 35% fragmented, and on running the defragger it gives up after ten minutes or so with the fragmented rate increased to 38%. I sent a copy of the defrag operation file to Distrix who replied that the problem would be sorted with the next release - but when it came out there was no improvement. I removed Distrix and let the Vista default take over, but it only succeeded in reducing the fragmentation to 32% before giving up. The separate drive containing only FS9 is perfect.

At this stalemate (which is [as admitted by Distrix] a result of the initial 'incompatibility' between Vista and Distrix), I will probably fit a new HDD on which to put FSX to get it away from the Vista OS.  :P  Cheers  Bill

Update so far guys, after using the latest ultimate defrag where I had all the FSX files located to the outer tracks, I then used O&O 1st on space then twice on complete/name, well I was amazed at how fragmented the files were after using ultimate defrag, O&O found 23% fragmented, I guess they all approach it from a different angle. As for performance there is about a 5fps improvment but a lot smoother very few of the black textures, in fact that only happens if panning very fast. I'm now getting between 12 to 20 fps over YMML in the chopper and very clear images, I was getting 7 to 13 before, with delays in texture loading.

I feel there is more improvement to come by following Wolters suggestions and defragging again.

I'm still on a steep learning curve here and as someone suggested most of the defrag programs have a trial period so give them a whirl and see what works for your system.

Thanks for all the input guys, all comments very appreciated.

cheers

Archived