Just a request to the Orbx developers.......

For future releases or Orbx scenery, is it possible for the developers to include the option for us to install Orbx sceneries onto different drives, instead of the default FSX location? I have followed the other posts about using links and junctions (e.g. mklink), but it would nice to have the option when we are installing scenery to choose where to put it. I guess that many people like me have a small SSD that is almost full, so it would be great to make the installation easier by being able to choose where to put Orbx sceneries.

Hope that it is possible,

thanks. ::)

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that, considering "scenery files" are something that FSX is constantly loading. I don't think it would be beneficial to any part of the operation to have them stored in a separate location making FSX go search for them on another drive while it tries to keep pace with itself. I totally understand the juggling act of trying to constantly make room for more things "FSX" related myself, as I use to delete things and move things around just to make room for that next addon myself..I feel your pain! O0

I'd wait until an answer from OrbX and see what they recommend since their product is quite different than most. But you can always install aircraft into any directory you wish. Just go to fsx.cfg and add another SimObjects entry. As far as most other airport scenery those can go anywhere too, the indexing at the beginning of startup will easilly find the files when they're needed.

Please do not answer support questions on Orbx's behalf Charlie, it really does not help the OP.

Our products need to be installed into the ORBX folder inside the FSX root folder because our supporting apps and scripts rely on a fixed path and location to function correctly. If we allowed customers to install our products anywhere they liked it would cause functional and support chaos.

The only solution is links/junctions or getting larger HDDs/SSDs.

I just found that out the hard way today. My expensive SSD drive is running low on space so I uninstalled my working ORBX installation hoping to re-run the installer and put it all on a secondary drive I have. Come to find out there's no option to select which drive you wanted to put the files on, which is the first time I've ever seen this limitation in a Flightsim product. Took me a while to get everything back up and running properly.

For performance reasons, I would think it's actually better to disperse heavy scenery onto another drive because you're taking advantage of the speed of two drives versus one. Particularly if they're SSD. And also because it's expensive (and painful) to copy everything over to another drive. Haven't explored "linking" yet in Windows but maybe that's a good solution.

Which, BTW, reminds me I was also surprised to find no uninstaller. It was simple enough to uninstall, but took me a while to find the answer since it wasn't in the manuals but buried in the Forum FAQ.

Regardless, this scenery is fabulous and I'm looking forward to hopefully coverage of all of the U.S. someday!

Two realities about being a serious FSX user these days:

1. Addons are now mature, and getting more numerous and larger with each release as the fidelity increases

2. Lots of HD space is now the norm, but SSD prices are falling rapidly, so savvy FSX users are investing in faster, bigger SSDs.

For me, I like everything on one fast drive. My next investment will be a 1TB SSD from OZX sitting on my PCI-E bus. Pretty much solves any data-shuffling and gives me insane r/w speeds and lots of space http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-3-x2-pci-express-ssd.html

With SSD, it probably doesn't matter much anymore if you put everything on one drive. The read times are so fast. But just to go that extra hardcore mile in search of the holy grail of FSX smoothness, I've got my machine configured with separate SSD's for OS, FSX, and FS9. Things run very well.

Sigh, but of course I'll be buying more ORBX products so I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get that even bigger and better 256GB SSD drive I've been eying. Man, you guys are killing me! Hehe. And just think, a couple of years from now we'll all be saying "remember when we paid XX dollars for a XX GB SSD drive" Ain't technology great?!

Two realities about being a serious FSX user these days:

1. Addons are now mature, and getting more numerous and larger with each release as the fidelity increases

2. Lots of HD space is now the norm, but SSD prices are falling rapidly, so savvy FSX users are investing in faster, bigger SSDs.

For me, I like everything on one fast drive. My next investment will be a 1TB SSD from OZX sitting on my PCI-E bus. Pretty much solves any data-shuffling and gives me insane r/w speeds and lots of space http://www.ocztechno...xpress-ssd.html

JV, just a quick one, sorry don't want to hijack the post, but when you say you like everything on one drive, does this mean the OS also? I have two drives with the OS separate, but having seen no real benefit, I am now considering putting everything on a single HD.

I've never ever split the OS onto its own drive since Intel PCs were invented (that's a long time ago, LOL!). There may be for/against arguments but I never bother and frankly I doubt you would see any benefit in 2011, especially when using insanely fast SSDs. Since I disable Windows Indexing and Windows Search (which thrash the drives at idle time), I can't see how splitting would benefit at all.

I also keep large development workfiles, documents and anything related to portable information on a seperate large, cheap drive, usually on a RAID1 array so I have double copies of anything and I can move it to another PC build instantly.

But core apps and FSX can always live on the C: drive, no sweat.

Wow John the drive you mentioned above looks great but the price is astronomical. Sad to say but I will have to wait until those prices drop by one heck of a lot. My Sammy 3d cost only a few dollars more than that ssd. Codus to you to be able to even think about it.

Ken

Archived