[ONGOING] Melbourne problem

jgruschow

Installed without any problem

Setup exactly as per user manual

The problem: I have about six static aircraft. Two moving airport vehicles. No people,animated or otherwise.

fps about 15/16

Changed to FS Native. Exactly the same as above, except fps constant at 25

The airport buildings all seem OK in both modes

Tried changing my settings back to their usual.ie everything maxed out.  And I still get exactly the same picture. FPS dropped by half though.

While in GMax mode The menu bar at the top of my window loses it's tabs, so to make changes to settings I have to shut down FSX and reboot elsewhere to get them back.

The settings in Orbx control panel make no difference to picture. They affect frame rates but nothing else.

I am satisfied I do not have a computer fault. Everything else works perfectly.

I have blue and gold installed.

I have all dot.net installed. From 1.1 to 3.5

I have followed setup instructions explicitly.

I exit from fsx each time I make changes.

My download folder,zipped, 779 MB

I have tried a re-instal, with same results

My computer:

Asus M/B Striker ll Extreme. Intel core two extreme QX9650 overclocked to 3.4GHz.. 4 gigs DDR3 1600 ram. Video card is NVidia GeForce 9800 GX2 with 1000MB's ram and a Raptor ll 300 gig HD

Running windows XP Pro with all service packs and fully updated

I amrunning two LCD Monitors. I have tried switching one off. No change. Running 22" wide screen at 1680 x 1050

WHAT DO I DO NOW?

I'm having similar problems, which seem like a memory leak. I also have textures that are causing real problems with AA or Vertical syncing, I think, but I'm not sure. THey just don't display, they are black for the most part or different solid colors.

To start, it loads just fine, then as I begin to taxi or pan around I get problems. The sim has crashed twice giving an out of memory error.

My system:

Alienware ALX, 4.0GB, 4.0GHz., Dual ATI Radeon HD 4870's with 512 MB each. One- 27" Dell monitor.

Hi Jack,

Not sure what the problem is you're describing?  Getting 16FPS is not a problem, it's actually not bad performance at all. We also did not place any static aircraft at YMML, so check to see if you don't have anything else installed which may conflict. The disappearing text in the menus I get sometimes as well, but it's not specific to YMML; it began to happen to me after the most recent DX9 patch and also a video driver update. But yes, that appears to be a memory leak of sorts.

Try this: pull back your AA to Multisampling X4 (which is low I know, but humour me) and your autogen slider to Sparse and report back ok?

Hi Jack,

Not sure what the problem is you're describing?  Getting 16FPS is not a problem, it's actually not bad performance at all. We also did not place any static aircraft at YMML, so check to see if you don't have anything else installed which may conflict. The disappearing text in the menus I get sometimes as well, but it's not specific to YMML; it began to happen to me after the most recent DX9 patch and also a video driver update. But yes, that appears to be a memory leak of sorts.

Try this: pull back your AA to Multisampling X4 (which is low I know, but humour me) and your autogen slider to Sparse and report back ok?

Tried what you said, but it made no difference.

When I mentioned static aircraft I should have said airline traffic parked at terminal.

Over the past hour two aircraft have taken off and nothing has arrived.One vehicle moved accross the tarmac. NO other movement.Traffic on adjacent roads is moving as normal.

Changing to fsx native produced no significant change. A couple more airport vehicles movind and nothing else.

CPU averaging about 70% useage a nd memory about the same

Hi Jack,

YMML doesn't provide its own AI traffic so I assume what you're seeing is the default AI and their flightplans (unless you have a thrid-party AI package installed). FTX-AI will come out shortly and populate Australia with realistic AI models, repaints, and flightplans.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that quite a bit of the airside car traffic is "spawned" by AI aircraft. Thus, the more AI aircraft there are the more service vehicles will be moving around. I use a combination of World of AI and the Beta FTX-AI files and there's plenty of service vehicle traffic.

As for the animated people I must admit I haven't spotted them yet either. Not sure where they are located and how many of them there are.

Cheers, Holger

After reading another thread in the forum, I checked on FSX Native mode and had no more problems. However, it is possible that with some of the video settings I was trying that in itself was causing problems. This particular time I just loaded it and didn't change anything other than to set my graphics cards to what i normally use (pretty high settings). I don't use FSX hardware settings. So tomorrow i'm going to uncheck FSX Native mode again and loaded it up without changing anything, just like tonight and see if I get problems -- then I'll be sure.

Sounds like a few guys are having the same problem I'm having.

My hardware's Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz, 4gig RAM, 512mb 8800GT running FSX sp2 on XP sp3.

Mine starts up okay but the performance worsens with time, first the scrambled menu texts appears and then it would either lock-up or shut itself down with an out-of-memory error. Turning down the details and resolution seems to help but only in prolonging the time for symptoms to appear.

Eric

The OOM joy with a 32 bit OS...  For Vista make sure you have SP1 installed - otherwise follow this link : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

Then have a read over here : http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/06/15/fsx-and-win32-process-address-space.aspx

Or... Install Vista 64 and be a happy camper. Most fast PCs today can run settings high enough to exhaust 32 bit virtual address space.

well I tackled the issue tonight, put all sliders on 1, time for baby steps ;D

slowly worked them all up, now managing 15-20fps around the airport

turned off AA on the card, set as app controlled, killed the autogen

now i cant decide if the poly texs affect the frame rate or not

all good

Well I have at last got YMML working in a useable manner. Firstly I must say that the design and scenery are amazing.

The only problem I can see is that it requires a "next generation" computer to take full advantage of it.

IMHO you can forget about the GMax features. They just require too much computer power for most of us.

Make do with native mode.

As John said, unlock frame rate control. This made an amazing difference.

I have now set my autogen to dense and all other settings above mid range and I can fly over Melbourne at over 40 fps. When approaching YMML they drop to the low 20's and don't go much below 20 when moving around the airport.

What is needed now is AI to make it look like a busy airport. At present it looks a bit dead. Very little movement of airport vehicles and aircraft,even with sliders set to 90%.

AND where are the animated people? Haven't seen one yet.

Just one more complaint. The installation process removed my Orbx Freeware folder. I kow it wasn't meant to be there, but it suited me having it. Oh well I can rebuild it I suppose.

Guest Schubido

Well I have at last got YMML working in a useable manner. Firstly I must say that the design and scenery are amazing.

The only problem I can see is that it requires a "next generation" computer to take full advantage of it.

IMHO you can forget about the GMax features. They just require too much computer power for most of us.

Make do with native mode.

As John said, unlock frame rate control. This made an amazing difference.

I have now set my autogen to dense and all other settings above mid range and I can fly over Melbourne at over 40 fps. When approaching YMML they drop to the low 20's and don't go much below 20 when moving around the airport.

What is needed now is AI to make it look like a busy airport. At present it looks a bit dead. Very little movement of airport vehicles and aircraft,even with sliders set to 90%.

AND where are the animated people? Haven't seen one yet.

Just one more complaint. The installation process removed my Orbx Freeware folder. I kow it wasn't meant to be there, but it suited me having it. Oh

well I can rebuild it I suppose.

Got the same experience...

Just tried the fokker 100 from Digital Aviation today. Like the PMDG I have about 30 to 35 FPS away from YMML. If I approach the airport its going down

to 8 FPS. This is with the GMax feature enabled but for what ? Its simply not useful. 

I also miss at least some minimal life / action throughout the airport area. I have only a few AI (FSX) but thats it. Also I havnt seen moving people yet ?

Where should they be and if they exist how to activate them ?

Well if there isnt any update which would allow to use GMax with some reasonable FPS there is no other choice than disabling that function. What a pitty because expectations have been very high.

Regards

Stefan

Guest Schubido

Just wanted to add the following after changing back to FSX Native now for a trial ...

The CP works because FSX rebuilded the scenery and I had the standard runway appearence but with the REX environment pack for YMML ..

Due to my surprise using the Fokker 100 again in order to get comparable measures I havnt figured any difference in the FPS compared with

the GMax settings ? How could that be ? ~ 8 FPS at approch with GMax activated and the same with GMax deactivated ?!

Could it be that the REX textures do have a impact on the frame rate ? If yes how could I deinstall them ?

Regards

Stefan

Guest Schubido

REX textures are identical in size to default, so there is no FPS impact in using them at all.

Ok noted.. Thanks

However if I would like to get the REX pack deinstalled.. how should this be done ?

Whats your interpretation regarding the FPS issue with GMax on / off showing almost no difference ? Since this is controversy related to

the experience of others how could this be addressed or explained ?

Do you have any suggestions at the current stage what else I can try to find optimal balanced settings to compromise quality vs FPS ?

Regards

Stefan 

The OOM joy with a 32 bit OS...  For Vista make sure you have SP1 installed - otherwise follow this link : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

Then have a read over here : http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/06/15/fsx-and-win32-process-address-space.aspx

Or... Install Vista 64 and be a happy camper. Most fast PCs today can run settings high enough to exhaust 32 bit virtual address space.

Thanks for the info. It took me a while to get my head around it all but now makes perfect sense. It appears FSX SP2 has the >2gb flag enabled already so all I need to do is add the /3gb switch in boot.ini and set /userva between 2560 and 3072.

I'll try this tonight and see happens.

Eric

I also miss at least some minimal life / action throughout the airport area. I have only a few AI (FSX) but thats it. Also I havnt seen moving people yet ?

Where should they be and if they exist how to activate them ?

Not sure if she's always been there but there's a young woman in the tower looking out. Noticed this first time last night while playing around with views.

Guest Schubido

REX textures are identical in size to default, so there is no FPS impact in using them at all.

Ok noted.. Thanks

However if I would like to get the REX pack deinstalled.. how should this be done ?

Whats your interpretation regarding the FPS issue with GMax on / off showing almost no difference ? Since this is controversy related to

the experience of others how could this be addressed or explained ?

Do you have any suggestions at the current stage what else I can try to find optimal balanced settings to compromise quality vs FPS ?

Regards

Stefan   

Hi there

No answer yet... any ideas ?

Hallo Stefan,

For us to get some more insight in your "issues" we would appreciate it if you shared your system specs and setup with us, the Orbx FTX file structure was setup to be as one entity within the main fsX folder, moving parts of those files to other drives could also be the cause issues, hence my curiosity.

Guest Schubido

Hi Wolter,

Quad 2.4 GHz ( not Overclocked) , 4 GB Ram, 8800 GTX XXX 768 MB. OS Vista 32, 24 Inch Samsung LCD, 1900x1200 Res.

I am defragmenting my HD frequently and the actual settings I use within FSX are the ones you have recommended for YMML.

OrbX resides within the FSX folder of course. The FSX is located at a dedicated HD (not a external one) which just stores the

FSX plus all the Add-ons I have.

I am for sure satisfied with YMML now since the FPS which I can get are high enough at least to operate a little plane like the

Carenado Mooney. I used the PMDG 747 X again today. At ground I do have about 10 to 12 FPS. This is of course to less

and its not fun at all. Its unfortunately quite similar with the Level D.

I am actually using the FSX native mode but there isnt much improvement regarding the FPS compared with the GMax mode.

Thats why I asked the question what the reason could be that I dont have a bigger difference using GMax vs FSX Native. 

What I really dont like is the redrawing behave of buildings of the airport or large black aereas on the ground which are popping

up during the approach. Of course they are filled up after a few seconds but its optically not pleasing at all. My video card

has 768 MB and I wonder why its producing such but redrawing effects.

However I have been able to manage that I have no OOM or CTD anymore and I figured that the Geforce 177.79 Beta driver

has significantly improved the whole picture a bit but of course not enough.

Not enough is the right wording since I expected to have a more smooth environment with higher FPS from YMML. I have the

money but no interest at all in the moment to upgrade again to Vista 64 now just to fix things. 

What I want is to get a bunch of advices how to finetune the seetings in order to achieve a "compromising" solution which would

allow me to enjoy YMML by using not only little GA planes but also airliners like the PMDG, Level D or the Digital Aviation Fokker

with reasonable FPS and not stutter or redrawing issues all the time.

I am sure you will come up with a few solutions in the near future but please accept that I am not willing to purchase a new PC

or OS like Vista 64 now just to have " standard performance " again like a year ago. Where is the end ?  Its a hobby and not the

only one I have !

I like the AI freeware package which you recently have releast for  YMML. Very well done as usual..  Keep going with the good

work. 

Best regards

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

regading the deinstalling of the REX textures.. in your main texture folder you will find the folder "REX-YMML-ENVSET" and there you will find the folder "Backup_Of_Originals".

REX textures =1,33MB, 1024, DXT5,

original textures =682KB, 1024, DXT1.

Guest Schubido

Hi Stefan,

regading the deinstalling of the REX textures.. in your main texture folder you will find the folder "REX-YMML-ENVSET" and there you will find the folder "Backup_Of_Originals".

REX textures =1,33MB, 1024, DXT5,

original textures =682KB, 1024, DXT1.

Hi Nils,

Thanks, highly appreciated..

Have a good time

Cheers

Stefan

Hi Everybody,

My computer is a Pentium 4 CPU, Processeur Intel 3,6 GHz, 3 Go de RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6800 séries GPU, Compatible Direct X 9.0 et Windows XP SP1+SP2 and i realize it was perfect for AU BLUE scenery but not ok for Melbourne. 

Installing was ok with no problems but after that my computer strarted to crash when i try to select YMML with FTX mode or GMAX.  I bring down my setting to sparse and it continue to crash!!!  I was running AU BLUE with the setting DENSE and VERY DENSE with no problem...Finally i have to desinstall my new purshase with a lot of deception. I hop somebody will come with a solution?

Thanks and excuse my englih,

Stéphan, Québec, Canada

hang in there Stephan, those more tech savvy are trying to find solutions as you read this I am sure, I have not seen an ORBX release where all the initial problems have not all found a solution very shortly after release.  The problem is while ORBX products are beta tested exhaustively, it is not possible for ORBX to know the limitations or specs of every system out there with so many different variants of setups between users.  But that said they are a phenomenal bunch of people who strive to find a solution for every problem and bug as it is reported. So just keep checking back here regularly as solutions are posted.

Cheers

AC

Well YMML seems to have settled down. It's running well in Native mode.The addition of the AI packaage has certainly improved traffic flow.I can wander around with fps in the low 20's and traffic on 100% and autogen on dense.

The only PROBLEM I have is , I can't get out of Native mode. The control panel is locked. But I'm not worrying about that now. I'll wait until a fix arrives.

To answer your question, i have FSX with SP2.  I just test my AUBLUE a few minute ago at Albany and it is running very well (more than 12 FPS) with my setting at Extremely dense!!! But i desinstall Melbourne before....

Thanks for the reply, i will check the forum to see if there is developpement on my problem.

Stéphan, Québec

Archived