Doctor, doctor...

Butch

Good evening gents,

Another weekend, another paint... I am seeking therapy but its a slow process.  ;D

As I had mentioned the other evening I noticed an 'iconic' organisation that is so identified with Australia, particularly with the bush that it would be unthinkable not to do the scheme. Some of you guessed it right, yes its RFDS and I thought I would model VH-NWO. Why? Its the only aircraft that I had found almost 360 deg reference photos.

My version isn't perfect, but I think its close enough.

This airplane

Posted Image

My version

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

real one...

Posted Image

left side

Posted Image

and another

Posted Image

real one

Posted Image

another

Posted Image

one last

Posted Image

That last real aircraft photo is a particularly filthy aeroplane, not acceptable in my organisation, I have standards! So I have opted to do my version sparkling clean, just like someone had given it a nice wash. I know I would!

For the painters out there, every object in this paint is a vector graphic anything else just wouldn't be sharp enough.  ;D

The two most time consuming tasks was creating the RFDS logo from scratch (I even did the eyes on the snakes) and aligning the stripe textures over 3 texture bases of different resolutions...I know you feel the pain!

This has been the most challenging so far of the paints I have done, now that I have done this one I think I'll try the WA Police PC12. I have been wanting to try the gradient tool and the checker texture on that scheme looks like a perfect candidate.

Last thing I would like to mention, I wasn't able to create the bump at the top of the RFSD PC12, I am just a painter...  :'(

Material used? 1 1/2 bottles of red.  ;D

Should be posted tomorrow when I have a chance to package all the textures up.

Good night

Cheers,

Butch

Very nice butch, and yes i feel your pain, someone already beat you to it with the WA police PC12, Mozzman (Maurice King) already has a high res paint for that one, I will dig around and find some screenies of it for you mate. Not that it can stop you doing another one at all either mate.

I'm not a fan of the PC12 but I think I will get it just so I can use that skin. Great work there Butch. If what we have seen lately are your early works, what can we expect when you become an experienced painter.

Tell me, does the wine improve your skills? If so, does it need to be red or will a good chardonnay work as well?

I really do appreciate your work and thank you for sharing.

Hi Gents,

Appreciate all your encouraging comments!

Its just as well I didn't post these last night, I had some weird images come out  when I turned and the sun reflected on the skin. Turns out I needed to do new spec maps! I didn't really know what they where all about until I had those weird images coming out and was forced to investigate. It appears that you can do a heck of a lot more effects by manipulating those 'mask' textures.

Hmmmm...something new to learn.  :o

See what I mean...

Posted Image

Its fixed now... but it could have been ugly!

Which brings me something I have been meaning to ask. It took forever to do some of the vector details I did for this paint, what if someone else wanted to do a similar paint? AC and some of the other guys mentioned it in the main forum about painting helos... why don't we get a painting group together so we can share resources, skills and tips on how to do things?

I did one simple paint for the AI pack, I could not have done it without the help of Kman - who very generously took the time to talk me through and actually do some of the more complicated tasks for me. In short, we can all stand on each others shoulders.

It does not have to be prescriptive, do what you want really, but that we have a list of contacts whom we can to share ideas, tips, skills and maybe projects and resources so we can further populate the available aircraft in unique and indigenous schemes. Just an idea! 

Another thing I have been thinking of doing is learning how to use Illustrator. I think making vector images (note: images not textures) is best done in Illustrator then imported to PS, anyone tried Illustrator yet?

My project for tonight is..... this one... I love that top hat graphic and the note on the front. I can see myself flying in and out of Alice Springs and hopefully much sooner to that would be Broken Hill. (Come on John and team)

Posted Image

I have scoured the net for photos of the left side of this plane to no avail, I'll just have to 'interpolate' what it could possibly look from photos of its similarly painted cousins.

While I was at the RFDS site, I watched a video... it was so moving and so inspirational. I really didn't know much about the RFDS until now and I don't know if it was lack of sleep or if I am just getting soft but I was really moved, these people really are making a difference.

You can see it here: http://www.flyingdoctors.org.au/Our-video.html

Lastly, you can get this paint here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/nicm/F1_PC12_RFDS.zip

Ok, that's all for now, I've got a glass of my fav red (but a nice Sav Blanc will also do) and itunes going so it's time to get back to painting!  ;D

Cheers,

Butch

Butch, fantastic work mate. The only comment I would make is that for me personally at least, I like my aircraft to be dirty and weathered, particularly those who do real legwork in the outback as the RFDS aircraft do. I imagine they would rarely look pristine as though they were just factory-delivered ;)

Keep up the fantastic work, and perhaps if you get a bunch of painters interested, starting an interest group or sub-dev group with the OZx team?

Thanks for the photos Uhu, I'd like to see some of those classy screenies you do with one of these.   ;)

Cheers,

Butch

Butch ;D

lolz ................... just whipped this ones up quickly, I'll work on some more, but for starters attached are a few ;)

they are stright screenies nothing has been altered , feel free to play around ith 'm as you like, they are yours ;D

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

Posted Image

=> full size screenshot

enjoy !

;D8)

Butch,

Fantastic job, mate.

Where do I buy that baby. I think we should pass on our reasons for buying the aircraft to the manufacturers (that being your beautiful paintwork) otherwise I probably wouldn't be interested in this bird.

Thanx in advance,

Frank

Butch,

Fantastic job, mate.

Where do I buy that baby. I think we should pass on our reasons for buying the aircraft to the manufacturers (that being your beautiful paintwork) otherwise I probably wouldn't be interested in this bird.

Thanx in advance,

Frank

Frank,

Here you go mate.

http://www.flight1.com/

You can get the PC12 from there.  Butch I as are a few other painters interested in setting up an Aussie paint group, and Johns idea of being a sub group of Ozx is not a bad idea, that way we could not tie up the orbx forums with paint chatter as they already have a repaints are ther we could use, we may also need to set up a little website as a one stop shop for all our paints and links to the aircraft.  I know there is already an aussie repaints website that a mate of mine does some work for, maybe we could team up wiith them for uploading our paints too.

That truly is beautiful. I'm hanging out for AU Red to come along. I lived in Broken Hill for 20 years so I'd really like to see a lot of the bush strips out there modeled eventaully so we can fly that too them. I might even have to start learning strip making myself, in preperation!

Gents,

Thanks again for the kind comments and its only the beginning...

I have to ask Wolter how/why his screen shots look just so much nicer, they are a whole lot brighter, clearer as in sharper focus...

Cheers,

Butch

Butch,

I use mGrab from Martin Wright for my screenshots, I think it's 10 years old lil utility ... make sure you get the dll set, also lot's of other good things there.

As for making the screenshots, I'm not aware of doing anything that's out of the ordinary ??? .

I have a Sony 19" CRT res set at 1600x1200x32 (wich dates from 2001)

What I did do and I think, this is a important step with new vidcard drivers is to tune your settings for the screen,

in the nVidia CP there is a "run display optimization wizard" I do that after installing new drivers, just to keep in sync and must say works a treat.

before you run that, reset the screen to it's defaults, then set screen res, fit to screen, resolution, etc etc, set color to neutral all sliders at 50%

run the display optymizer and follow the prompts,

after that, in the nVidia CP there is a line that says "adjust desktop Color settings"

the only thing I've changed /altered is "Digital Vibrance" I've set that here to +20 the rest stays at 50%, ( you'll have to see as wich setting suits your screen best, as screens differ a wee bit )

and last but not least I have set my monitor "colour temperature" to 9300K

that's it no rocket science or tricks ;D

Hope it helps you to sort your lil "issue" :)

Archived