Central Victoria covered in snow today

Well .. it's that time of year and snow is falling quite heavily about 15 minutes drive from my house on Mt. Macedon (snow down to 1500FT ASL). My house is at 700FT ASL and they expect colder conditions in the new 48 hours, so we might go make a snowman tomorrow. A large part of central Victoria is currently under a blanket a of snow as well.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=593580

To reproduce this in the sim, slew to the top of Mt. Macedon and select the "Winter Wonderland" theme. It should work in theory, but I've not tried it because Holger's seasons file may prevent it. Try it and see ;)

I grew up in The Netherlands Wolter, and I remember the cold for sure. But the thing about down here is that the wind chill factor is huge, so while -4 does not sound cold it is absolutely bitter outside if there is even a slight wind.

I grew up in The Netherlands Wolter, and I remember the cold for sure. But the thing about down here is that the wind chill factor is huge, so while -4 does not sound cold it is absolutely bitter outside if there is even a slight wind.

And as you get older you feel the cold more ....... ;D

I have lived some of the coldest winters of my life with -20c as the high here in Indianapolis, but I have to agree wiith John having lived both a bitter cold Melbourne and here, they are somewhat parallel in feel only, Melbourne has the biting wind that no where else I have been can match, which in the summer as we all know can turn into a hot northerly and destroy everything with one discarded cig butt.

I live 8 miles from the base of Mount Rainier in Washington State. I shipped the C**P down to you... ENJOY!  ;) It's finally summer time here. 85 degrees today with no humidity.  ;D

Guest Aussieman

cant feel my toes here in the blue mountains >:(

Same down the road here in Lithgow. Drove my son up to Katoomba this morning to work at the Carrington. Light sleet in Lithgow but bright sunshine in Katoomba. In the last hour or so we have had several light flurries of snow.

And as you get older you feel the cold more ....... ;D

Mate, you are still only a little pup :).

I'll tell you, that cold weather sounds great. Here in southern California, I'm looking at more than 105F all week, and the northern part of the state is burning out of control.

The NSW Rural Fire Service Aviation people sent out an email to AOMs, ABO, and AROs last week calling for volunteers to go over to California to help out. I am an ARO but unfortunately could not put my hand up this time as I have a problem with my leg that needs fairly constant treatment. :'(

-2 and visibilty at about 100 metres when I walked out of the house this morning!

Was going to say it doesn't get that cold in Canberra. But I remembered all the politicians are either overseas or back in their electorates for their Winter break :).

Melbourne has the biting wind that no where else I have been can match, which in the summer as we all know can turn into a hot northerly and destroy everything with one discarded cig butt.

We get the same thing where I live Ryan only more NW or W.

Cheers

Pat

John:  its only a touch of fate.  I live in South Yarra but I happen to be on the Gold Coast at the moment, wondering whether I should take the boat out on a brilliantly fine, but cool day.

A few weeks ago my wife was in Christchurch, NZ, and she phoned to say it was snowing.  I started ASX, and cranked up FSX and found myself sitting on the end of a runway at Christchurch International in a blizzard with blowing snow all around me.

I know that our North American and European friends wonder what we are on about, but in Australia snow to sea level is a rare event.  And in some years, because our highest elevations are just hills in your language, we can have almost no ski season at all.

But in Melbourne, the wind chill is its dominant feature.  In the summer the north winds bring blowing dust and smoke from bush fires, but in winter those same winds cut an icy path right through you. Mind you, the dry priaire winds of Canada and the central northern USA have got some very icy dry winds as well that can freeze you to the bone in seconds. 

John, I'm thinking of you, because I will be back at the weekend.

Ha ha ha and they reckon is cold in Canberra! We are basking in a balmy 4 deg, the radio says........I think I will break out the T-shirt.

It hasn't been that cold at all this year. I thing our coldest is about -4.7 this winter. The old days used to give -6 to -7 for a few weeks running!

There's nothing like a -6 morning where the grass is frozen that leads into a crystal clear, bright blue sunny day of 15 or so. We have the best winters around I think :D .

No thanks, I've lived in Canberra and lived in Armidale.  You have forgotten the endless grey days of spring and autumn, with the sun only a tantalising 5000 or so ft agl beyond the cloud.

For my auld bones, SE Queensland is just fine for winter.  A sweater in the morning is all that is needed, and there is no humidity.  For summer - Melbourne's great.

Did an AU Blue flight last night from Hotham to Mt Beauty, wonderful to see all the snow on the ground! Flying down into the valley at Mt Beauty my wife even commented on how great it looked! High praise - her eyes usually glaze over when I try and show her something in FTX!  ;D

Archived