Old Misty Moorings Add On Scenery interest

ba43

Hello Campers!!!

In the spirit of sharing and creative energy, would anybody out there like to see some PFJ versions of Misty Moorings old fictitious scenery locations made??

I was looking at this page: http://www.mistymoorings.com/office/index.php and I was curious to see if there was any interest in recreating some of these places for our use in the PFJ area we now have from ORBX?

I would be very happy to give some of these areas a new lease on life. I'd be willing to contribute by making newer versions for us. Remember though that most of these are fictitious.

The Misty Moorings real estate page also has "Trip Tix" which are directions to most of these locations using discriptive narrative. Having FSX and PFJ versions I think just give each of us another new destination to go find in the beautiful PFJ world we now have.

So, if that would be something that is cool with you, please let me know and if you have suggestions for more ideas to enhance this, let me know. My goal now is to stay away from doing any scenery addon's that might conflict with any future plans that John, Holger and the ORBX and OZx team have planned for these areas. Recreating some of these make believe areas should do that I think.

I am a hard core fan and dedicated believer in what ORBX and OZx have done and continue to do for us. I want to be sure that I don't do anything that might distract from their efforts. That is not my intention at all. I just want to add small area enhancements that give us all more and more destinations to go explore in their beautiful worlds they've worked so hard to bring to us.

Thanks and I look forward to your replies and ideas,

Brad 

Hi Brad

Well, its an idea but to be honest I wouldn't go for it.  For me I want my scenery to be as realistic as possible.  Imagining I'm flying is about as stretched as my imagination is prepared to go and I only do that because it gives me a chance to see parts of the world I haven't got a cat in hell's chance of seeing otherwise

while doing something I can never do in real life.

Best wishes.

John

Hi Brad, I'm with John , realism . However there must be a truckload of real stuff to do . Little jetties or even a landing stip somewhere . maybe a little hamlet or piont of intertest . If you have the skills and want to create why not get in touch with Ozx and give them a hand ?  :)

Hello,

I appreciate the comments so far. I don't have the time it takes to dedicate myself to the level of scenery creation the artists at OZx can achieve. I wish I did but I don't. ORBX and OZx are the point of the spear. I can't begin to express my appreciation for what they put out. I can only imagine the time it takes to work their magic at that level of development.

No, I'm lucky if I can find any time to dabble with Instant Scenery on my weekends AND find time to just "Fly" somewhere. I actually consider myself fortunate I have a good steady job so I am not complaining. Just stuck in a time constrained existence like we all are.

As the tools for that level of scenery creation demand a dedicated artisan at the controls, I don't feel like I have the skills to help out at OZx. I tried to grasp some of those tools and was unable to make a lot of progress over a few months time trying out GMax, ADE, XML and the like. No, I was way over my head and never got to grips with those tools.

Maybe if I'm able to find the time in the future, but I can't see that happening for quite some time. I don't know how they do it. I'm not worthy.

Brad

I'm all for the old misty moorings stuff, but rather than a recreation, you may want to just do similar projects rather than try to redo what's already been out there.  The beauty of Misty Moorings is that it recognized that most of the flying that takes place in Alaska and other parts of the bush never visits "real" airports.  Particularly in SE Alaska, There are presumably loads of Cabins, Lodges, Fish Camps, Logging camps, ranger outposts etc... that a pilot might be expected to fly to that don't leave a lot of data to those of us in the internet world.  To try to track down and create realistic copies of these places that exist in real life would be extremely difficult and since some of these logging camps etc... are also very temporary IRL.  Creating ficticious scenery, as long as it's realistic in nature, is perfect for this. 

Having said that, and recognizing that I love the old Misty Moorings site, some of the stuff that was on offer there was fairly ridiculous  ;D  I remember landing at the ranger lookout many times, which was a long dirt runway at the very top of a large mountain with the resulting insane crosswinds.  it was fun, but not really realistic.

So yeah if you want to put in a few canneries, logging operations, fish camps and the like in that vein, I would be all for it.  IF you want to do the exact same sceneries, you may want to contact the original authors, and make sure it's ok.

Shawn.

I feel exactly the same way. Today, Doug Linn, the Misty Moorings web site creator and one of the originators, and I discussed the possibility of some scenery updates using their old areas for templates.

I've been looking at Google earth a lot for the Misty Fjords area lately and I can see all sorts of structures around the edges of lakes, buildings along the shorelines of inlets and fjords. Boat docks, factory's, seafood processing, fishing marinas, etc. All within my grasp of scenery skills using readily available default object libraries and some custom ones too.

So, I'm going to have a go at some of my own ideas here first then see what the Misty Moorings team think.

Brad

I used to love MistyMooring and Tongass Wild  back in 2005/6 when I was doing FS9. Today, I prefer realism but I see nothing wrong with adding a hamlet, a dock and a couple of houses here and there, especially if they more or less mimic real life Google satellite pics.

If you want to consider adding things like log floats and stringers to areas that contain loging operations then I would be interested in that. A lot of bush operations support loging operations so it would be great to litter some of the waterways with logs. Adds for a challenge with seaplanes as you have to fly over your landing area before you land to ensure there are no logs to run into.

AI Shipping traffic and logging operations are fantastic ideas for sure. Looking forward to that.

Also, there is good news coming for all of us who were fans of the old "Misty Moorings"

More to come.

Brad

Archived