VFR from Yakutat to Juneau on one of the quarterly nice days.

A long time ago I worked for the FAA at Yakutat - beautiful spot but wet.  Later in the sixties I had improved my lot and worked at Juneau Tower, also wet .  This is a freeware C90 with all the trick stuff but before the panel wide monitor screens.

This N-S runway is a reminder of WW2 days when PAYA was a fairly busy place.  The other one, longer, has the instrument approaches.

yak2a.png

This is the start of a large glacier area feeding Glacier Bay - a magnet for tourists.  The Alsek river below flows out of Canada just a few miles upstream. 

yak3a.png

Back in my day this was a localizer approach to an NDB/Marker Beacon four miles from the runway.  No DME yet -used step down fixes from an adjacent VORTAC.  This was updated after an major airline crash with heavy life (all) loss.  The localizer course was twenty degrees offset (less) from the runway and the drill was - if, at the FAF, you could see the flashers (2 miles) located in the clearing on the peninsula, you could continue and follow lead in lights to the threshold (4miles).  Often exciting, one Captain told me it felt like an approach to a carrier deck.

yak4a.png

Edited by olderndirt
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, olderndirt said:

A long time ago I worked for the FAA at Yakutat - beautiful spot but wet.  Later in the sixties I had improved my lot and worked at Juneau Tower, also wet .  This is a freeware C90 with all the trick stuff but before the panel wide monitor screens.

This N-S runway is a reminder of WW2 days when PAYA was a fairly busy place.  The other one, longer, has the instrument approaches.

yak2a.png

This is the start of a large glacier area feeding Glacier Bay - a magnet for tourists.  The Alsek river below flows out of Canada just a few miles upstream. 

yak3a.png

Back in my day this was a localizer approach to an NDB/Marker Beacon four miles from the runway.  No DME yet -used step down fixes from an adjacent VORTAC.  This was updated after an major airline crash with heavy life (all) loss.  The localizer course was twenty degrees offset (less) from the runway and the drill was - if, at the FAF, you could see the flashers (2 miles) located in the clearing on the peninsula, you could continue and follow lead in lights to the threshold (4miles).  Often exciting, one Captain told me it felt like an approach to a carrier deck.

yak4a.png

OD, where did you get the freeware C90? I've looked at all the regular outlets and no luck. Or is this P3D? Sure looks good!

11 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

OD, where did you get the freeware C90? I've looked at all the regular outlets and no luck. Or is this P3D? Sure looks good!

It's for XP12 and is in the downloads on xplane.org.

• Thanks 1