MSFS no internet, what happens?

I did a search, couldn't find an answer....I am just wondering if your internet was down could you still use MSFS?....if you can what would it look like?...no live weather for sure but would all the scenery still be there?....I am just curious, I'm imagining p3d without Orbx is what it would look like?

I have had instances where I have had a lost connection moment but could you actually fire the sim up without internet?

• Like 1

I experienced that once. Scenery is becoming quite ugly, no satellite/areal ground imagery any more (just landclass), no PG (what was no problem for you, if I remember correctly - I couldn't fly without it) 

mesh loses quality, AFAIK also vector data are gone, the scenery looks just like in early FSX days.

Edit: and of course no live weather data. Default enhanced airports looking like stock.

Edited by wolfko
  • Thanks 1

If you have the personal version of P3D6 you need an internet connection to initialize the program loading.  Once when my internet was down, I tried to run P3D6 and I got a flag that said the program needed the internet connection to load.  I think what happens is the program goes to the LM website to check your credentials and look for updates.  I think it may be an anti piracy  measure.  After that I'm not sue if the connection needs to remain active.  If you have Active Sky or Rex Weather Force you need the internet connection to update the weather.

• Thanks 1

I think the scenery quality also depends on what cache is running (or was running before the I/n went away) - so still runs but you loose all the good stuff that is downloaded.

• Thanks 1

okay, thanks for the replies, I seem to be getting an internet adapter issue and was wondering if this ever gave up could I still use the sim.....I have had it drop off mid flight, but reset was fine...

@wain71

Hi Wayne,

in my last post I forgot to mention, that you easily can check by yourself, how MSFS looks without internet connection. Just go to Options/General Options/Data/Data Connetction and there set "Online Functionality" to off and do a flight with this setting.

Cheers Wolfgang

Edited by wolfko
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

thanks Wolfgang I'll give that a try...

Also, if you have unknowingly lost internet connection, the above mentioned menu items would be automatically set to off and greyed out.

Edited by wolfko
  • Thanks 1