Miss the Orbx Older Airports in MSFS

JohnnyJohnJohn

I just wish all the old classics were ported over to MSFS, like Half Moon Bay, and the Washington State Airports.  Hell, why didn't Orbx just convert their whole library to 2020 like they did to Prepar3d?  I'm totally lost at that business decision.  Only we as a community can speculate, but I'd love to hear what you all think.  Maybe someone from Orbx can actually explain why they didn't.  Maybe they still can?  Let's hope so.  It's just not the same simming without all those great classic locations.   

• Like 1

A lot of these sceneries might hold up nicely in P3D but the expectations in MSFS is rather different and many of them would need considerable enhancements to please the community. I can't speak for individual airports or the overall strategy, but looking at my own projects I could port some of those over but the return would be modest and my reputation as a dev would go downhill unless I spent considerble time increasing the quality which would probably not make sense from a business perspective. Some of them I am doing the enhancements needed and releasing as payware for MSFS (like ESMS, ESGG), some are not worth the work in terms of time / return to enhance and I port them straight over, like ESSV that I added for free in my ESSB package, and some of them I just redo from scratch, like ESSA.

Personally I would love to have a lot of our catalouge ported over, a lot of those sceneries got texturing quality with photo-real base instead of generic PBR, which I personally am a big fan of.

It isn't really a big task to to port a p3d scenery if leaving as-is, the issue is the extra work needed to bring it up to today's standard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1