MSFS cruise slowdown

wain71

not sure what's going on, did a few flights recently in both the FENIX & PMDG 737, at cruise level around FL350 I found that all the head movement is very slow and like draggy, I tried with the default Bus and it was the same....however going from Live or REX weather to Sofly WPP weather and all is good, this has only happened in the last few days.....machine is not being over taxed looking at the numbers for CPU/GPU etc....

Just wondering if anyone else has seen any similar things?

I was wondering if it was to many clouds visible when you are that high as opposed to say FL 240....planes are still flyable and system is not crashing, just slow head movement around the cockpit....

I have not experienced anything like this at all Wayne, and I have been flying between FL250 and FL370 quite a bit lately, and all across the globe. In fact, the best performance I get is when flying at those altitudes. Hope you can figure out what is causing this for you.

Landon

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wain71 said:

not sure what's going on, did a few flights recently in both the FENIX & PMDG 737, at cruise level around FL350 I found that all the head movement is very slow and like draggy, I tried with the default Bus and it was the same....however going from Live or REX weather to Sofly WPP weather and all is good, this has only happened in the last few days.....machine is not being over taxed looking at the numbers for CPU/GPU etc....

Just wondering if anyone else has seen any similar things?

I was wondering if it was to many clouds visible when you are that high as opposed to say FL 240....planes are still flyable and system is not crashing, just slow head movement around the cockpit....

I have to preface this Wayne with saying that I have no idea either what may be the cause of this.

On the other hand , what you are describing  sounds very much like the beginning of oxygen deprivation :o

Maybe taking the MS brand to new heights with the Top Gun  Addon with the hypersonic aircraft

has introduced a whole new meaning to  "as real as it gets" :D:lol::lol:

Cheers:)

Pete

• Haha 4

okay so here's what I have done, first of I uninstalled Simple Traffic that seemed to have improved things, just flew Gatwick to Belfast, cruise at FL380 with live weather, all was good- this was in the Fenix.....

now regarding the crash issues I have gone into cmd- and ran sfc /scannow, it found errors with windows install and fixed them, hopefully random crashes have been sorted  I was getting 0xc0000005 errors, did all what Microsoft said, I also find it's best if I have been doing other things to restart the PC before opening MSFS....

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

okay so here's what I have done, first of I uninstalled Simple Traffic that seemed to have improved things, just flew Gatwick to Belfast, cruise at FL380 with live weather, all was good- this was in the Fenix.....

now regarding the crash issues I have gone into cmd- and ran sfc /scannow, it found errors with windows install and fixed them, hopefully random crashes have been sorted  I was getting 0xc0000005 errors, did all what Microsoft said, I also find it's best if I have been doing other things to restart the PC before opening MSFS....

Hi Wayne

If this still is creating a problem for you, may I suggest you consider the following.  What I discovered on my system is that having

XMP off*  (its easy to do in bios & and you can just as easily turn it back on again) has had a major impact on the stability on my system running MS2020. 

For several months now I have had a seemingly endless litany of  0xc0000005 errors . Conventional "wisdom" is that these are caused

by addons , but in my case I had the issue even with nothing in my community folder.  This error is generically a memory access violation and

has dozens of different causes from driver/registry issues to particular applications ( it is true that an addon can cause the problem, but it is not

the only reason) to any kind of issue with ram stability. 

The reason that I chose the words "having XMP off* "  is that the other day, when I started my machine  I got a message saying that there was

an issue with either the CPU or memory. I discovered that XMP had shut off and I was unable to get it to work again.  I called the builder

of my machine and they mentioned that they have seen issues before where this has happened and it is often due to a

memory module that just "basically doesn't like being put into an overclocked state any longer". 

So long story short I decided just to run my machine without XMP and see what would happen.  All I can say is that I have had nada issues

of any kind with MS2020 and this is after about 65 hrs of use now, including leaving it running MS2020 for 6 hrs. 

I have gone over the exact scenarios for multiple cases that I could guarantee would result in CTD's without any issues at all now. 

My builder did also say that they have seen some instances where particular applications just didn't run well with XMP on, but with it off

the application was completely stable.

Microsoft does mention at their website that any overclocking (CPU or XMP) has been known to cause issues and their suggestion was

to disable it (without any explanation as to why it could be a problem).  

Yes I know that there are many people who will say, why do this because this will slow MS2020 down.  Well in my case I always have the

frame rate locked at 30 fps and I see absolutely no difference with XMP on or off in terms of how fast/slow MS2020 behaves in any 

respect, but so far a world of difference in terms of stability.

The second issue is with regard to things appearing to slow down on long flights. In the past some addons , such as

the toolbar pushback helper app, would cause memory issues , especially a memory leak.  So in terms of testing , if you use that addon, you

might want to temporally  disable it.

So I hope that these suggestions may be of some interest and possible help to you. I appreciate that turning XMP off may be a

controversial subject and my posting this is from the perspective that for me it has made a very positive impact in terms

of eliminating 0xc0000005 errors. 

I sincerely do not wish to imply that everyone should do it as a matter of course , especially if  a) you are not having any issues

and b) you do not use MS2020 with a locked fps.  Using MS2020 without a locked fps could certainly  have the potential

to see a performance decrease with a lower ram speed.

Lastly I appreciate that I may well have an issue with a particular ram stick(s) , but since I have  64GB of ram, and it may be

difficult/impossible to get the exact replacement, replacing all of them to ensure they match is a costly proposition.  Normally, I would not

mention this as it certainly seems like a potential hardware issue in my case, except for the MS Zen desk comment that XMP can cause issues

with MS2020 and they make the recommendation to disable it.

In my case I continue to test, but so far have seen no negative aspects on how MS2020 is working for me as a  result of XMP being off. 

If indeed, I do have a  misbehaving memory stick(s) I will find out soon enough, but so far this has definitely improved my system stability and

in my case not affected the performance.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by renault
  • Like 1

@renault thanks for your informative post there Pete.

I had been reading about that code and it does say about RAM issues, I checked and they seem okay however I do indeed have XMP on, so as I also run with FPS locked at 30 I will give it a try with XMP off. I only get this issue and crash with MSFS, I did read about Microsoft recommending any GPU/CPU overclocking should be toned down or discarded but not RAM....it can get very frustrating chasing an issue, all I like is a smooth reliable sim, fps numbers have never interested me, it's all about smoothness....

I am away later for a few days with the extended Bank Holiday we have here but I will definitely try this when I get back....

@Doc_Z I don't have that app, but like Pete thanks for the heads up......

In fact I have no free addons in my folder except FBW & Salty......

Wayne, hopefully you get this sorted. One small other thing you might look at. I only mention this because you said you were using Simple Traffic. The whole point of Simple Traffic is to have very non-complex AI arcraft that uses the default AI system in MSFS. Really all it does is replace the default Asobo liveries with more realistic, yet simple liveries. That said, it should not really affect your sim any more then the default AI does. I use it and don't notice any ill effects. That all said, have you looked at the actual AI traffic settings in MSFS, especially the Aircraft on Ground setting? That one can really cause problems if you have it set too high. Just something to check in addition to the good info that Pete gave you. Have a nice holiday!

Landon

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

cheers, tried all the above, still happens if I have used PC for something else before flying, restart then simming seems okay, will monitor for a while then if it starts to be really random I will do a complete wipe/install including OS....