GPU Suggestion

aali93

Hey,

I was looking for graphics cards and suddenly a slew of websites appeared, one of which was a blog dedicated to the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080. So, because the blog had a lot going on, I'm a little perplexed about the storage, but it's a little overwhelming for me.

So, could you tell me which graphic card is best for me?

Edited by aali93

Welcome to the forum(s). You'll need to tell us a bit more about the specs of your system. What's "best" is the GPU that matches the capabilities of the rest of the system and what you want to use it for - and that's not necessarily (and usually isn't) the most recent or the most expensive.....Doug

• Like 1

Hi  & welcome:)

Very sensible advice from Doug.  

I think the most important question going forward, along the lines of Doug's suggestion is a fundamental one.

What resolution do you wish to use.  There is a major difference between the gpu capability required to render a 4K image

at even a locked 30 fps compared with the gpu that would give very nice results at 1440p or 1080p.

For me personally , 1440p has been a really good resolution to use and I have a rather dated RTX2060 super gpu.

I have both XPlane 11 and MS2020 so, my comments are related to those two simulators.

If you desire to go with 4K, then the best answer is to buy the most capable card you can afford, because at 4K even

a RTX 3090 can be challenged.  From what I have seen at 1440p, a RTX 3070 or even the RTX 3060 /(tii) will work very

nicely giving you great visuals and very good performance.  

Other members have for example, picked up a used GTX1080 ti  and have found that it works very well for them at 1440p, so

that might possibly be an option.   

So quick summary : at 4K your options are limited and very expensive, at 1440p/1080p your have many more alternatives at much

more reasonable price points compared with the cost of a 3080/3090.

I would though seriously keep in mind that later this year,  MS2020, if that is one of your choices will be implementing

Nvidia's DLSS rendering technology.  This will result in a significant boost in GPU performance and especially with the

RTX series of cards,  will make use of special processing cores on the card called tensor cores, which are not 

currently used at all.  This will give you additional GPU performance over using DLSS on a non RTX series card.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by renault
  • Like 2

Agree with both Doug and Pete. Sage advice, and very similar to what I would say. Also, let me underline the RTX use that Pete talked about. An RTX card means a 20XX series or a 30XX series card. The 10XX series cards and earlier are not RTX cards. 

Landon

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Thanks Pete. I had no idea that was coming..........Doug

Hi Doug

I saw  a comment in  a recent dev video about it.  Seb discussed that they had investigated and prototyped DLSS  and were very surprised

how well it worked.  There is no committed release date yet for it (they are hoping in release 10) , but apparently it is now part of the package of

DX12 "goodies" coming later this year. 

His comment about DLSS starts at approximately 1:02:36  in the video. 

Cheers

Pete