Go Astros...

W2DR

I just have to share this.  Back in 1967-68 I coached a Little League team in Carmichael, California. One of my players (and a REALLY good one) was a kid named Victor. He had an older brother named Johnnie. And Johnnie was my batting coach. Nobody today knows who Johnnie is. But that's because he's better known by his mother's nickname for him... "Dusty". And his last name is Baker. Yes, Dusty Baker, the current Houston Astros manager, was my team's batting coach. He was a senior in high school then and was being highly recruited by many colleges and universities as well as major league baseball. I remember well his parents wanting so badly for him to go to college. But, to their credit, they let Dusty decide. He chose baseball. And a good decision it was. I still think of him often. I haven't seen him in all these years but I've closely watched his career. Go Astros.

• Like 5

Although a long time Dodgers fan myself, having grown up in SoCal and gone to hundreds of games at Chavez Ravine with my Mother when I was young, and still a huge Dodgers fan, I am not so much an Astros fan. However, I am a fan of Dusty Baker, and have also watched him through out his career. Not connected with him in anyway like W2DR is, but he has had a great career in the MLB and I appreciate his work ethic and coaching skills. Nice to see him still doing so well this deep into his career. 

Cheers!

Landon 

• Like 4

I gotta really pull hard for Dusty this time. He's the winningest manager in baseball who has never won a World Series. I think he's probably 72-73 years old now and at that age time isn't on his side. There are not a lot of years left for him to cap an incredible career. Go Astros.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Although a long time Dodgers fan myself

I've always been a Dodgers fan also. But that fascination goes back to Ebbits field in the early 1950's. Even though I lived in California I loved the Dodgers. In Those days we could only watch The Game Of The Week on TV. That's right, only one baseball game a week was on TV. And that was on CBS. Guess who owned the Yankees back then.....yep CBS. So, we got to watch A LOT of Yankees games, as in almost every week. But my heart belonged to Pee Wee Reese, Roy Campanella, Don Newcomb and all the rest of the guys from Brooklyn. To this day I hate the Yankees :)

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 3

Definitely not a Yankees fan myself either. When I grew up watching the Dodgers, of course it was a little later on. It was during the Steve Garvey, Ron Cey and Fernando Valenzuela era. I also remember my Mother always talking about how much I would have loved to see Sandy Koufax pitch if I was around during that time. I was very excited when they won it all last year, but since it was an odd year and not a full season, it felt a little less exciting than a normal season. So, I would be equally if not more excited if they can pull it off this year, but right now they just need to win tonight to even up the NLCS series. So, in that vein, Go Dodgers! :) 

Landon

• Like 3

I've only been to one game at Chavez Ravine. And that was so long ago I can't even remember when it was. Not long after the park opened though. From where I lived it took almost seven hours to get to Chavez - it was an overnighter. But I could get to Candlestick in less than 90 minutes. I saw a lot of Giants games :).

• Like 2

As a die hard RED SOX fan, I would have prefered a different outcome this year. Going down baseball memories I witnessed Ted Williams last at bat. A homer! I was also there for game 7 of the 1967 World Series. Lonberg's arm was just too tired.

Greg

• Like 2

Well, the Dodgers just couldn't make it this season and the Atlanta Braves were just too hot at the plate. Should be a good World Series, and I will have to look forward to next season for the Dodgers :)

Landon

• Like 2