How can I download my Orbx files to my hard drive for installation

jfwharton

This month I had issues with one of my flight simulators and uninstalled and then reinstalled my scenery files multiple times.  Needless to say by the end of this month I am near my download limit from my internet provider.  Recently, I forget how long ago Orbx changed the way Central downloads and eliminated the ability to download the files from orbxdirect and save them to my hard drive so if I needed to reinstall them I could point central to that file location and install it.  but I can't do that any more.  So how do I backup my files manually to say an external hard drive and then point an installation to that backup to install?  I see an option to automatically backup my Orbx files but there is no manual backup that I can find.

There's no manual backup but if you set up a location for backups in Orbx Central, those files are stored for use by the installers. So most reinstalls will not need to download any data. 

The backup folder can get very big so it's best suited to a hard drive with lots of spare space. Mine is on an 8TB HDD. 

Thank you for your response.  It's just very disappointing that Orbx has done it this way.  I liked the way it worked before when I could manually download the files and then when reinstalling could point central to the file location.  The older system was better, at least for me.  So now in order to get a backup I have to uninstall all of my Orbx scenery and turn on the automatic backup and then reinstall.  There should be the ability when turning on the backup to check if the files are already installed and then download the files and save them to the backup area.  But it's the way it is.

Hello,

Orbx Central has been out since November 2016 and from the outset, it has contained

the option to make a backup at the same time as the product is installed.

What to do is in the User Guide here.

This is the Orbx Central page that contains the settings, you can find it at 

Orbx Central\Settings (the toothed wheel at the top right)\Downloader

I have created the C:\Orbx Backup folder for demonstration purposes and you should tick the box that I have left empty.

2.jpg

There should be the ability when turning on the backup to check if the files are already installed and then download the files and save them to the backup area.  But it's the way it is.

That is not the way it is.

I expect that you will find that once you have created your directory, pointed Orbx Central at it and ticked that box,

if you run verify files instead of uninstall as you have presumed, Orbx Central will check your installation and then make

the backup that you require in your new backup folder, exactly as you have assumed that it does not.